Menu

Everyday Dinner Plates - Quest to Find

ChrisB

I currently have these Pfaltzgraff Filigree plates.  I LOVE the pattern, and I would keep them forever.  However, when we use our silverware/flatware with them it leaves behind a tiny gray line on the plates and bowls, eventually leaving the white looking very dingy.  I've used Pfalztgraff plate cleaner and it removes most of the marks, but they keep returning with use.  I hate how high maintenance these are.  I like white, round, lightly embossed patterned plates that have a little heft, but are not heavy.  Christmas is right around the corner and my MIL loves to buy things like plates/kitchen/diningware.   Can you help me find the perfect low maintenance everyday plate?    

I like Corelle.  Mine are white.  If you choose a pattern, get extra open stock of whatever you use most, because patterns are discontinued from time to time.  That happened to me, which is why I buy white dishes now. http://www.shopworldkitchen.com/corelle/

I use Fiestaware rimmed soup bowls.  I really love them, but they fall over in my dishwasher, so I wash them by hand. They are worth any amount of trouble! Their one quart bowl comes in handy for everything -- my sister got me large one (40 oz.) with a dog bone pattern around the rim, but I don't use it for the dog.    http://www.fiestafactorydirect.com/

I looked at the Corelle patterns and found that I like this one.  Thanks for the recommendation.  I have two concerns, one being that I find Corelle to be too lightweight, so it feels "cheaper" to me.  I only say this because I like my everyday dishes to be as versatile as possible, and to be used when we have guests.   The other being that I don't love square plates;I prefer round plates.  I grew up with Corelle, and I've noticed over time, my parent's plates become rough around the edges, maybe due to the dishwasher(?).  Something to think about...

I looked at the Corelle patterns and found that I like this one. Thanks for the recommendation. I have two concerns, one being that I find Corelle to be too lightweight, so it feels "cheaper" to me. I only say this because I like my everyday dishes to be as versatile as possible, and to be used when we have guests. The other being that I don't love square plates;I prefer round plates. I grew up with Corelle, and I've noticed over time, my parent's plates become rough around the edges, maybe due to the dishwasher(?). Something to think about...

This may be "different is bad" syndrome :-). Honestly, you get used to whatever you use every day and that becomes normal for you. Think of them as having the same weight as china and they won't feel so cheap ;-) I've used corelle for about six years and I haven't noticed any rough edges. The only thing we've broken is one of the stoneware mugs. If I do see unacceptable wear, they are cheap enough to just replace. I think they're worth trying. They are certainly easier to put away. I can take three pates out of the dishwasher with one hand. Also, I can keep a service for 12 in very little space so I don't have extra 'company' dishes stashed elsewhere in the house. I have 8 luncheon-sized plates that bring me up to a service for twenty in a pinch.

I was in a corelle store not too long ago. I love some of the new patterns, but really wish they came in round dishes. Here is my set: 0D189897-FBD2-4717-875C-FF7DA9CA8D49-131[/url]

we have mikasa stoneware and they get those lines too. I hate it.

we also have royal doulton everyday china which I love love love. we got them at a clearance center and I'm so happy I splurged on them, we have them 15 years and they are as good as new. they also dont chip the way the stoneware does.

my mil has corelle, they are ok.

one of these days I will replace my mikasa stoneware with china.

We live on a slab foundation, and with six kids, my dishes are always getting broken. I have three different types right now, and half of those are chipped, except the Corelle. Those don't chip, they either don't break at all or break into a zillion pieces.

After a bit of searching, these are the next dishes I'm buying. They're stainless steel, so no more worries about broken dishes! I just put them on my wish list for this year, but I don't think I'll get them for Christmas. I'll probably have to save up and buy them myself.

I also considered enamelware. Golden Rabbit has some really cute designs, but I was afraid that with my crew, the enamel would get chipped. And those are rather expensive.

No offense to anyone...but I dislike the sound of flatware on Corelle. It gives me the fingernails on blackboard effect.

I got a set of dishes about 20 years ago. Off-white daily-wear Arabia Finland. No gray marks, and except for some slight scratch marks on the bottom of the bowls, it looks new. The bowls also stack beautifully in the washer.

I have broken two bowls, and it's a bummer because the prices have skyrocketed, do I'm not replacing them. The other bummer is that I chose badly on my silverware, and they slide into the plates.

THAT is something I will check next go-'round.

If I were to replace this set, I would get similar dishes from IKEA or Pier One. The bowls would have to be the right shape for the dishwasher, though. I'm all about efficiency. :0)

My only dishes that aren't Corelle are my Ikea pasta bowls. I think they're the perfect size and I use them for everything, but my teen daughter won't use them because of the sound the silverware makes on them. (She grabs a corelle cereal bowl instead.) My mother keeps suggesting I replace them because of the gray silverware marks in them. They were 50 cents each and I've used them for 12 years so "I" think they're great :-)

We live on a slab foundation, and with six kids, my dishes are always getting broken. I have three different types right now, and half of those are chipped, except the Corelle. Those don't chip, they either don't break at all or break into a zillion pieces.

After a bit of searching, these are the next dishes I'm buying. They're stainless steel, so no more worries about broken dishes! I just put them on my wish list for this year, but I don't think I'll get them for Christmas. I'll probably have to save up and buy them myself.

I also considered enamelware. Golden Rabbit has some really cute designs, but I was afraid that with my crew, the enamel would get chipped. And those are rather expensive.

I like those stainless dishes. I've never seen anything like that.

do you think they dent? or scratch? or get watermarks?

All our plates are from Crate and Barrel. We got the most basic white dinnerware when we got married. We’ve broken some (always our fault, not because the dishes are cheap) and I like that it’s cheap to replace and since they are plain, it’s easy to find something that pretty much matches. 

We have 3 different kinds of dishes:

Fiestaware - which I LOVE.  It's the stuff I really, really wanted when we got married.  We have a fair amount of it, and not all of it is even at our house because we don't have the cabinet space.  I have persimmon, which is now discontinued... (orange is my favorite color, after all!!)

Glass bowls/plates from Pier 1 - these are crap.  I had some glasses from them once, as well, and those all broke.  The dishes are breaking here and there from NOTHING - lightly bumping against the side of the stainless steel sink made one bowl shatter; a small plate broke into pieces when DH was cutting food for Astro on it when he was little.  I'd love to get rid of all of it - just throw it all away!!

Plastic crap - literally.  You know, we run out of cups so we buy the huge plastic ones at WM one day... or the kids get little gift sets with a plate, bowl, etc... I can't wait to get rid of all that.  And those stinking plastic cups.  We have enough plastic cups to... I don't even know.  But we have way too many!!!  :banghead:

This may be "different is bad" syndrome :-). Honestly, you get used to whatever you use every day and that becomes normal for you. Think of them as having the same weight as china and they won't feel so cheap ;-) I've used corelle for about six years and I haven't noticed any rough edges. The only thing we've broken is one of the stoneware mugs. If I do see unacceptable wear, they are cheap enough to just replace. I think they're worth trying. They are certainly easier to put away. I can take three pates out of the dishwasher with one hand. Also, I can keep a service for 12 in very little space so I don't have extra 'company' dishes stashed elsewhere in the house. I have 8 luncheon-sized plates that bring me up to a service for twenty in a pinch.

I was in a corelle store not too long ago. I love some of the new patterns, but really wish they came in round dishes. Here is my set:

Perhaps, this may be the case.  Corelle is fairly indestructible--gotta love it. 

we have mikasa stoneware and they get those lines too. I hate it.

we also have royal doulton everyday china which I love love love. we got them at a clearance center and I'm so happy I splurged on them, we have them 15 years and they are as good as new. they also dont chip the way the stoneware does.

my mil has corelle, they are ok.

one of these days I will replace my mikasa stoneware with china.

Good to know!  Aren't those gray line annoying?!?  :thumbdown:   Are your Mikasa different then the ones listed below?

I still love my Mikasa Antique White after five or so years. Heftier than Corelle, no problems with gray marks or anything.

Interesting!  I like these plates.  I just wish they came in a bright white...

Thanks for the choices.  I've never thought to use stainless steel.  

This is the set I got: http://www.arabia.fi/web/Arabiawww.nsf/en/tableware_24h_parts_and_colours_white

I didn't get the cup and saucer bits.

One thing I forgot to mention is that I got this instead of getting both china and daily-use tableware. NO REGRETS. It's nicer and less clunky than most stoneware.

I wouldn't say I'm particularly careful, and my kitchen had granite counters and terrazzo floors (basically concrete) so these were not babied dishes.

These nice dishes look like they have a little more heft than the Corelle, but lighter than stoneware.  That is attractive to me.  

Chaya & Patty Joanna:

I haven't got them yet, so I don't have any real experience with them. However, I don't think the heat transfer would be a problem, at least not any more so than thin dishes like my Corelle. If it's food I'm really worried about it, then I would serve them in separate dishes. As far as care care & looks, I have stainless steel appliances, and I don't have a problem with not being able to get them clean or with watermarks. I'm not sure what people gripe about. I find my stainless steel appliances easy to keep up.

I figured the biggest disadvantage may be with possible scratches or dents. My current problem is dishes getting dropped on the floor as the kids either set the table or clean up afterwards, but I figured that's not likely to harm the stainless steel.

Anyway, those are my thoughts. :)

I have the same plate as OP.  I put them away for a while since I just finally got tired of the white.  I now how a growing collection of fiesta ware and love them. 

I hope one day I'll be able to use the white dishes periodically. Right now they are stored, waiting for us to move.