Menu

Does anyone know anything about physical therapist assistant as a career? (or other "quick" careers)

HappyGrace

I'm 45 and need to go back to work full-time (I was a court stenographer before kids-no bachelor's degree, only worked at that for two yrs, just waitress/retail type jobs other than that). I have some time to prepare but hardly any money for school, etc.

I wondered about physical therapy assistant as a career-does anyone do this or know someone who does? Can you share anything about it? (education, do you like it, salary, is it the type of degree one can do online-or are online degrees frowned upon in this field?, etc.) It seems to be a good salary for not a ton of time invested in school, etc. and I think it sounds fascinating. Also, would I be too old for what they're looking for? (I'd be almost 47 by the time I'd finish the schooling!)

If you have other ideas for decent careers that are pretty quick to get into, I'd love to hear that too! (I'd need to support myself on this salary.)

Thanks!

Our community college has a PTA program. It is very competitive to enter. Have you looked over the entrance requirements to figure out how much you might need to do before applying. 

Or are you looking a program where everyone gets in and half way through a bunch of people are cut. I would not want to loose time and money for a program like that. 

I do think it is a great career, but I do not know a lot about the field. A woman I worked with a few years ago started the PTA program at our cc. 20 years ago she had finished most of a BSRN program when life took her in a different direction. She decided she now had time to finish a program and that's what she picked. With her background she already had many classes related to medicine, which I think helped her  application to the program--even though she would be repeating some due to the length of time since her previous studies. 

I think it would be good to start, but I would continue my studies to become a physical therapist. If possibly try to get employeed at a large hospital. I worked for 3 years at a county hospital, the starting pay for kitchen was $8.50/hour 15 years ago and the health benefits were astounding. If I used the hospital for anything I had no co-pays. That was the lowest paying job at the hospital and benefits started at 32 hours.

The community college I am familiar with has several allied health professional programs. Many of the prep courses (basic science, etc.) are available online, but the courses in the major are not online. There are also required clinical sessions where you are assigned to a hospital or other worksite for further training.

I went through the medical lab tech program some years ago. At that time there were no online courses. It was a 2 year program and we spent a total of 6 months (full time - 40 hours per week) in hospital labs.

Be sure to check out the lifting, etc. requirements. You may be expected to lift patients, etc. I could not do that when I was 30!  :scared:

I knew a gentleman in his 40s that wanted to go into x-ray technology, but changed to Health Info Tech because of the lifting.

Best wishes in whatever you decide.

For a different option, check out Milovany's post (#4) here

Good for you for making plans and trying something new. It can feel like a lot to start a new career in your 40s, but it is exciting to think about where you could be in two or three years.

If you have a community college nearby I'd encourage you to see if they have an office that does advising for nontraditional students. See if you can stop by or if they make appointments.They will be able to give you the best information about the options available in your community.

Also, the US Dept of Labor Occupational Outlook Handbook is a great place to start looking at careers. It is easily searchable free online and will give you a lot of information about education, job responsibilities, wages, etc.

If you're re-entering the workforce after a divorce (not trying to be nosy, just wanting to give info that might be helpful to someone), there may be "displaced homemaker" assistance available to help pay for college/training. Check with your local community college to see if they participate.

Also look into medical coding. There's an accredited online program through AHIMA.org. (American Health Information Management Association). With ICD-10 coming, coders are in demand. Where I live, and at the hospital I work for, pay starts at $15/hr. Cost for this particular program is $2000 plus books for the program itself, and $225 plus book for the anatomy pre-req (also online)

Since you mentioned you're open to other ideas, I thought I'd share an interesting one I came across recently.  

I was looking at lists of the top home based businesses (based on demand/income potential) for the next few years, and tax preparation caught my eye.  Apparently, you can become a "tax preparer" in a few weeks to a few months (requirements vary by state). I didn't realize that - I thought you had to be an accountant to file people's taxes. You're required to take a few classes and get a Preparer Tax ID Number (PTIN) from the IRS.  You might also want to buy tax preparation software (makes things easier and makes you look more professional) and register to e-file, but neither is required. IMO you'd definitely want to get liability insurance.  But then you're good to go.

Per the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics, tax preparers have a mean hourly wage of $20 and a mean annual wage of $41,700 (many make much more than that).  Keep in mind, most tax preparers only work from January-April (tax season).  That's a great income for only 4 months worth of work.

This just stood out to me, because I wasn't aware it was so easy to get into with a fairly high income potential for only a few months of work every year.  Thought I'd pass it along in case this might be an option for you.   :)

Dental hygienist programs are 2-3 years and the pay is very good.

A hospital is a great place to work while pursuing additional education. My husband works PT in a hospital. Full benefits for 24+ hours a week, tuition reimbursement for his education (he's getting an advanced degree in healthcare informatics), flexible scheduling, transportation/alternative commute stipend, good retirement match.

this is helping so much!

Barbara-great info-thanks!

Crimson-I will look into displaced homemaker in my state-i did know about that and had it on my list-great tip, thank you

Brink-hugely helpful post and much appreciated-definitely will look into medical coding-I love that the course is online! How can I see if there is a demand for this in my area? Contact local hospitals?

Dandelion-LOVE this idea-IF i were good at math (which I'm not :)) I so appreciate the info though

milo-about to PM you, thanks-I've read your posts about this before

LucyStoner-great combo of advice-would be wonderful to get benefits and help w/ tuition-hospital is high on my list now, thank you!

You'll never know what a blessing this help is-thank you all!