Menu

Serving coffee to ladies

I'd like to host a nice evening coffee...

I have a few $1.00 coffee mugs - not quite what I'd like to use.

Have any suggestions for affordable serving options?

Also, if anyone has a site that reviews serving etiquette I'd love to read it.

Thanks

I would serve in cups with the plate (like a tea cup). Have some cookies of the butter cookie type to go along, unless of course you are serving other finger items. I also would make sure to have small cups, like express cup, just in case someone prefers it.

HTH. Be well

Miriam

http://www.horchow.com/store/catalog/prod.jhtml?itemId=cprod43110041&ecid=HCCIShoppingFeed&srccode=cii_13736960&cpncode=19-7753391-2

I was definitely thinking elegant, nice fire, soft music, kids in bed, adult conversation type elegant.

Though the set above is quite expensive (that's just the serving pieces, not the mugs) I'd like something that can sit on the table and be nice to look at.

The mix n match idea might be fun if I can't find something I can afford.

Last year my little homeschool lady's group hosted a tea. I had gone to a craft/antique store and found many lovely china tea cups with saucers, all individual and not part of a matching set, but beautiful. I tried to match them to the personality of the lady, so the one with beautiful roses went to my friend who loves her rose garden, while the cup with green clovers went to the lady who adores Ireland, etc. Very inexpensive, like a dollar or two per cup/saucer.

Ginger

I know that at many of my different functions, coffee is served in not matching cups. Sometimes they are casual- fun coffee mugs; sometimes they are more formal- non matching china. Almost never does anyone serve all matching cups unless it is a very small gathering. One great place to pick up either are estate sales. I still have a few favorite coffee cups from such.

Just wanted to second the thrift market idea. One of my dd's is a tea party queen (hosted 2 formal ones for girls her age last year complete with elegant gowns :)I try to get her something tea party related for her bday and Christmas. I have found many very affordable and beautiful cups and saucers (china), complete sets of 4 "trendy" mugs, teapots, etc at thrift stores and garage sale. You might also list on your Craiglist "WTB." I found several great books on tea parties at Barnes and Nobles but I am sure that a good library would have a ton of info and my dd has found TONS of stuff on-line, including how to brew correctly. There is a real art to it :)

There is also a ton of stuff on coffee on line and books available. Both of my older dd's have worked in coffee shops and they can make anything at home that they've made there, including steamed milk and we have NO fancy equipment (I don't even own a coffee pot, just a drip filter!)

Thanks for your suggestions. I went ahead and bought some nice big mugs (no saucers) and multicolored serving plates.

I'll just put the creamer and sugars by the coffee maker and they can make their coffee there.

In the living room, we'll have some candles and our big mugs - some great conversation and be able to go back to our families refreshed.

I'm very excited about this. Our first topic will be to talk about the verse saying

Pro 31:11 The heart of her husband safely trusts her; So he will have no lack of gain.

Great subject, great friends. Great idea! Try it yourselves, your friends will thank you~~~

I am NOT a coffee drinker--can't stand the stuff.

I've gone to several evening 'coffee' parties (and even women's brunches)and I've been disappointed that no alternative beverage was available. I now always bring my own.

I'm a TEA person. I LOVE tea--hot or cold. I have a tea collection with over 30 different flavors/types at any given time.

I love to socialize just as much as my coffee drinking friends--but I don't like to feel left out because I HATE coffee!

I'll just put the creamer and sugars by the coffee maker and they can make their coffee there.

Enjoy!

And, don't forget to put out enough spoons. Maybe people I know drink it black, but it seems like spoons are often forgotten for those of us who like cream &/or sugar in our drinks. :001_smile:

Enjoy!

And, don't forget to put out enough spoons. Maybe people I know drink it black, but it seems like spoons are often forgotten for those of us who like cream &/or sugar in our drinks. :001_smile:[/quote

Great suggestion! And if you don't want a bunch of spoons to wash afterwards take a mug 3/4 full of clean water and put a spoon in it. Everybody can use it and the water in the cup will rinse the spoon when they put it back.

I'd like to host a nice evening coffee...

I have a few $1.00 coffee mugs - not quite what I'd like to use.

Have any suggestions for affordable serving options?

Also, if anyone has a site that reviews serving etiquette I'd love to read it.

Thanks

I know it's too late, but I've had events where I didn't have enough cups, so I had people bring their favorite from home. They were welcomed to share the cup or mug's "story" if there was, indeed, a story involved in its acquisition.