Menu

Engineering set for girls?

Kathy G

Older or younger teen?  What type of engineering were you thinking of, and what else does she like to do?

Some ideas that may be completely off the mark:

MAKE magazine

VEX robotics kit or LEGO NXT (this was on my daughter's wish list when she was younger, though she didn't end up using it as much as I would have liked.)

parts for an e-textile project (see for instance, this list of ideas: http://makezine.com/2010/04/06/geek-chic-massive-e-textiles-roundu/  also, I think I might need to send this link to my daughter: http://www.instructables.com/id/Sparkle-TuTu/ )

I had forgotten about MAKE - we actually own that! ;) 

This is for a 12 year old PG kid.  Interests include construction type kits, models.  She also LOVES genetics but I can't ever find a gift on that- except for CSI kits that are  made for younger kids!  She loves legos but doesn't like erector set and is tired of snap circuits.  I have looked for some type of complicated human body model but was unsuccessful- so if anyone knows of ideas on that I would love it too.

You guys are the best- I knew people would answer.

Kathy

:lurk5:

I bought Zometool Creator 3 for my kids (all six kids will have to share so I ordered the large set - at least the older four will play with it).  I am hoping dd12 plays around with it.  She is mildly interested in programming, though not as much as her brothers.  She plays around on Scratch a bit.  I'm tempted to get her a Raspberry Pi because she's been looking at the Python book we have but I might as well wait until she sees the one I will probably get for ds for his birthday.  Maybe I should get her one of the Scratch add-ons that ds wanted - now what was it called again, LOL... this thing http://www.picocricket.com/picoboard.html (*sigh* do I have to order two?  so many shared presents this year - lots of board games)

What specifically would make it "for girls" in your view? That might help in answering your question.

In general, have you looked at Home Science Tools? Here's a list of their science kits 14+ http://www.hometrainingtools.com/gifts-for-ages-14-and-up/c/87/action/showall// .  The hydrodynamic building set and Tekton building set look potentially interesting. Other ideas are: 

I would definately look at a soldering iron and some of Make's little kits, especially the ones which are more animal/insect or musical instrument-like.  *I* like making that sort of kit, but I am MUCH more interested in ones that produce walky/squeaky/flyy/organicy things than cary/mechanicaly things and I LOVE the ones that make some sort of musical instrument.  You might also look for jewelry-making kits that involve soldering because these could be extended into adding light and sound, much like you can light or sound to clothing or backpacks.  Origami is good.  So is a sewing machine.  Making your own patterns definately requires engineering skills.  So does making dolls or puppets or animals.  Learn-to-draw things are good.  My nieces love the books that tell you how to make a purse from a coke can or iron together grocery bags to make a vest and other recycly type projects.

Nan

Guest madeinuk

Check out the 'Raspberry Pi' barebones computers or Arduino robotics kits.

Also for ideas/applications for them - look at makezine.com

I have bright 8 year old girl but I am already gearing up and studying what's out there on the fringes of my 'futurescreen' :glare:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...