Menu

help me figure out how to help ds break this habit

Mrs. A

He is constantly chewing on everything. His shirt, erasers, pencils, toys, puzzle pieces... whatever happens to be at hand at the time. Yesterday he was listening to an audiobook with headphones and he chewed the wire of the headphones so much that I had to throw them out! Is this a normal thing that he will grow out of? Anyone have any tips? I'm not sure how to help him break this habit. I've thought about letting him chew gum, but dh is thinking that he would probably take the gum out of his mouth and play with it all the time, and I think he's probably right about that. 

Any suggestions/help is much appreciated! 

oh wow, my DH is such a chewer. I need to look at some of these options. I have given him gum and after a while of chewing, it will make it into his hand and he will be just rolling it in his fingers. eew, more disgusting

I think my kids will get a kick out of it to see daddy wearing chewelry :-)

Gum worked well for us for my oldest. Except then my second son started faking the need to chew on things in order to get the gum. “Look, Mommy, I’m chewing my fingernails, can I have some gum?†:) Oldest is also a fiddler, so having something to keep his hands busy seems to cut down on the chewing also. 

That can be caused by a couple of retained primitive reflexes that are eroded by stroking the cheeks and mouth area. It is not a quick cure, so definitely give him things he's allowed to chew. Check also if he has a retained palmar reflex because if he does, you'll only be able to erode the mouth reflexes but not get rid of them entirely. If he can sit there while you tickle his palms 40 times with a paint brush without any reaction stronger than "That's annoying" he doesn't have it.