Menu

England, Seattle - rain wear question

Miss Marple

Ds is at school in England.  He has asked for a waterproof jacket for his birthday "because it rains every day".  He has horrible internet connectivity so he hasn't been able to send me pics of what he likes.  He took a water-resistant UnderArmour hoodie and, at the time, thought that was fine.  Apparently not.  He doesn't like bulky jackets but wants one that is also a little warm.  I'm guessing it should cover his bum (which the hoodie does not).  He has a waxed barn jacket from Eddie Bauer but claims it's too heavy and stiff.

Any suggestions for a great jacket?  I've looked at North Face, Mountain Hardware, Eddie Bauer, Lands End, Marmot...and I can't seem to find something that combines a bit of warmth with waterproof-ness.  Either they are too bulky or they are just a shell.  Is there something in between?  I'll spend up to $200.

Best is layers.   So I would get a gortex rain coat and then a warm undershirt or long sleeve t-shirts

It is not a surprise that they traditionally wore tweed (wool) and wool sweaters in the British Isle.   Wool repels water and is warm.   Thin wool cardigans over top of shirts or long-sleeve t-shirts could help too.

Carhartt makes waterproof jackets that are also pretty warm. Like this one. They're not really stylish unless you're a hunter or mechanic, though. ;)

Lined rain jackets are not really common - and despite being "breathable," most shells will hold in the heat very well. I wear a Helly Hansen jacket for the rainy season - over a tee or even a sweatshirt. I can wear that down to freezing temps just fine. Something like this would be fine.

Unless it's getting below freezing, your ds is probably fine with a shell. If it is below freezing, a softshell jacket will add some nice warmth. It's not as waterproof as gortex, but if it's cold enough the snow will just brush off anyway. Columbia has really nice ones - but look for one with a hood. http://www.columbia.com/mens-softshell-jackets/men-jackets-softshell,default,sc.html

I live in Seattle.  I have a thin shell only type rain jacket (from LL Bean).  I layer my fleece jacket (from REI) underneath when it's chilly.  I prefer it this way because we have a lot of low-60s rainy days when the fleece under would be too warm, so I can still wear the rain part and not be too hot.  So my advice is to get a non-lined rain jacket and then a close fitting fleece (not the baggy huge fleece coats) to layer underneath.

The other advantage of using a shell rather than a lined rain jacket is that it's easy to ball up and stick in your backpack/bag on days you're not sure whether you'll need it.

If he really wants a jacket rather than a shell, I'd go with something with removable layers, like this:

http://nextadventure.net/marmot-bastione-component-jacket-mens.html

ETA: The jacket I linked runs small.

Thanks for all the suggestions.  I'm sending him some links.  

You could buy from Landsend.co.uk and get it sent to him.  We have Lands' End Squall jackets and they work well here.  You can put other layers underneath.

You might like to ask what the other students are wearing though - that might not be the style that he wants.

L

Laura, I like the idea of sending something from the UK.  We've been using Amazon UK.  One of the ladies above sent a link to a Regatta store in the UK.  Are there other UK dealers that I should check?  He mentioned that one of his friend's just purchased a North Face jacket.  We do a lot through the Steepandcheap.com site and I wonder if there is something similar in the UK?

try REI. (or sierra trading post for discontinued items.)  you want something that is breathable and waterproof.  made from something like Gore-Tex (there are less expensive alternatives, but they are the top).  they walk into their rain room and their clothes are dry.  those wearing regular water -resistant stuff are wet.

some are lined, some are just the jacket that you wear over your warmer coat/sweater.

All you want is a shell. In that type of rain and weather layering is key and gives you more flexibility. I live in Seattle. My rain shell is Patagonia and I love it. My husband has a Patagonia shell as well and my sons have whatever decent brand we can find in their size used. Wear a fleece or sweater underneath it when cold. Wear it alone when it is warmer but still wet.

In the cold weather it can be really gusty. I always thought piglet blowing away was an impossible bit of fiction until we moved here. When dc's were smaller it really felt like they could take flight. I linked the Regatta because it was the only jacket similar to what we have design wise and the price was really good. I was on the phone with my mom and Lands End was being difficult. I like the removable fleece lining. Normally in winter I wear that plus a couple more (sweater and hoody) if I need to be waterproof. One layer being attached makes life easier imo. Technically he does just need the shell but from now on he will want more. We keep shells in the trunk of the car in case of weather changes year around. Laura is right it has been unusually warm and sunny -- we were hiking in shirtsleeves yesterday.

OK, I sent him some links.  He added that he needs a wind break.  His Underarmour doesn't provide wind resistance at all.  So I think maybe a shell is what he needs.  I asked about shoes and he told me that he was fine.  I know that he took running type shoes and one pair of dress shoes.  But he tells me that he's OK.  I'm thinking that the next time I hear from him, he's going to need shoes :)

I like the idea of ordering from a UK place so he can get it quickly.  Otherwise he'll wait until he comes home for Christmas.  But that's a month away.

I live in the Seattle area.  I like jackets that have the layers built in like this one.   You can use the fleece and shell together, just the shell if it is warm and rainy, or just the fleece if it is cool and dry.

ETA: You can get cheaper ones than Columbia, but it was the first one I found.  Columbia is a good brand.  Kohl's has similar jackets for $100.

Thanks for all the suggestions.  I sent him some links to see what he liked.

Just so you know - it's meant to turn considerably chillier next week.  I didn't check the weather forecast when I was a student - I don't know if your son is more sensible.  He might want to buy that jacket pretty fast.  Here's the weather forecast for Manchester (I don't know where he is):

L

That looks chilly!  Amazon has been delivering before their scheduled delivery dates so hopefully he can get something this week.  He got a new woolen scarf when he was visiting Edinburgh a few weekends ago.  And a fellow student knitted him a new beanie cap.  Hopefully his Eddie Bauer jacket will work for now; it's just too bulky for moving between classes.