Menu

Question for those with asthma or kids with asthma

Joker

Dd has cough variant asthma and usually only has trouble when she is sick. She woke up with a sore throat and other cold symptoms today. When I picked her up from school she said her back hurts when she takes a deep breath (more the upper than lower part). She said it almost feels like it's hard to do so. This is the first time she's ever complained of something like this. I've had her use her inhaler to see if that helps, so we'll see.

Could this be related to just her cold or more her asthma? Is it something I should worry about? It's after 2pm on a Friday! I have left a message with the doctor but I don't know if I will hear back since it's so late.

The nurse just called and said the doctor was out today. They do have a walk in clinic I can take her to in the morning. The inhaler has helped her cough but her back still hurts if she takes a deep breath. No fever and her appetite is still good though. I guess all I can do is watch her close and take her to the doctor in the morning.

The nurse just called and said the doctor was out today. They do have a walk in clinic I can take her to in the morning. The inhaler has helped her cough but her back still hurts if she takes a deep breath. No fever and her appetite is still good though. I guess all I can do is watch her close and take her to the doctor in the morning.

Can the walk-in clinic do x-rays? If not, then I'd be prepared to be sent to an ER or Urgent Care.

Can the walk-in clinic do x-rays? If not, then I'd be prepared to be sent to an ER or Urgent Care.

Our doctor always send us to an imaging center in the hospital which is across the street. I'm assuming there wouldn't be an issue with that on a weekend.

When I had pneumonia they caught it because my back hurt.  They couldn't hear by listening, but fortunately decided to do a chest x-ray.  I take my DS with asthma in if his asthma isn't being controlled with medication.  If DS was complaining of back pain I would definitely get it check out.

I agree with the others. Also, keep up on the inhalers every 2-4-6 hours (whatever is directed) to keep those airways open. Does she have an inhaled steroid to use on a daily basis as well? If so, make sure she is doing that as directed. It won't help an emergency situation but we have to start that at the very first sign of illness or allergies to hopefully prevent anything from getting too bad.