Menu

Kitchenaid mixer. Good price?

Miss Peregrine

I was wondering the same thing. :) I tried to research the model that Costco carries and best I can tell, it is a model made for Costco so it is a bit difficult to compare. The description says it can do 9 cups of flour and 11 dozen cookies. The "other" 600 Pro is rated for 14 cups and 13 dozen cookies so the motor must be slightly less (that's my guess and understanding). The accessories are different too. The Costco machine come with white coated bread hook and mixer blade while the other units have the solid steel one and Costco adds in another head while the others have the spill guard/pour spout.

ETA: hmmm. I just went to the Costco site and it says this mixer can do 14 cups. I read the above info somewhere (the box?!) but now I don't know where. The Costco one makes no mention of a direct drive engine and all steel parts and the website says it weighs 25lb while amazon says the kitchenaid pro weighs 31. How accurate tis allis, I don't know. It's confusing me a bit.

I've been contemplating making the jump to purchase one of these so have been keeping an eye out. I did recently see the other 600 pro listed for less but I didn't jump on it and now the sale is over. :( I wish I hadn't hesitated.

From what I have been seeing of KA prices lately, it's decent but not spectacular. The Costco model is also not quite what the other model is, which seems to be typical for products I have found at Costco. Don't get me wrong- I love Costco (probably a little too much, as evidenced by how much we spend there each week) but their electronics and appliances seem to always be slightly "off" than what all the other stores sell, making direct comparisons hard.

I have no idea what the market is or what prices are good, but a word of warning: KitchenAid mixers are not the workhorses they used to be. Whirlpool bought the brand several years ago from Hobart and they are now made very cheaply, with plastic motor parts.

If you're going to invest several hundred dollars in a stand mixer, make sure you do your homework.

I have no idea what the market is or what prices are good, but a word of warning: KitchenAid mixers are not the workhorses they used to be. Whirlpool bought the brand several years ago from Hobart and they are now made very cheaply, with plastic motor parts.

If you're going to invest several hundred dollars in a stand mixer, make sure you do your homework.

I actually have a Bosch. Had it for about ten years and not that thrilled with it, honestly. Everything sits at the base of the post in the middle and doesn't get mixed in. I have to stop and start and scrape.. What a pain.

I used a KA at out co-op last week and it was so nice. It was an older one, though.

I was wondering the same thing. :) I tried to research the model that Costco carries and best I can tell, it is a model made for Costco so it is a bit difficult to compare. The description says it can do 9 cups of flour and 11 dozen cookies. The "other" 600 Pro is rated for 14 cups and 13 dozen cookies so the motor must be slightly less (that's my guess and understanding). The accessories are different too. The Costco machine come with white coated bread hook and mixer blade while the other units have the solid steel one and Costco adds in another head while the others have the spill guard/pour spout.

ETA: hmmm. I just went to the Costco site and it says this mixer can do 14 cups. I read the above info somewhere (the box?!) but now I don't know where. The Costco one makes no mention of a direct drive engine and all steel parts and the website says it weighs 25lb while amazon says the kitchenaid pro weighs 31. How accurate tis allis, I don't know. It's confusing me a bit.

I've been contemplating making the jump to purchase one of these so have been keeping an eye out. I did recently see the other 600 pro listed for less but I didn't jump on it and now the sale is over. :( I wish I hadn't hesitated.

From what I have been seeing of KA prices lately, it's decent but not spectacular. The Costco model is also not quite what the other model is, which seems to be typical for products I have found at Costco. Don't get me wrong- I love Costco (probably a little too much, as evidenced by how much we spend there each week) but their electronics and appliances seem to always be slightly "off" than what all the other stores sell, making direct comparisons hard.

Good info, thanks! Yes, I am a Costco addict so I usually think what they offer is " better" but this may not be the case this time. Te return policy, though. I know they would stand behind it.

I love my KA, which I've had for several years. They are fantastic machines that can handle a lot. Bosch is plastic, too. Nothing is made as well as it used to be, right?

Anyway, I think that is a good price for the 6 qt. I would pay it. I got mine from Costco for I think $250 several years ago and it's a 5.5 qt, 475 watt. That one that Costco has right now has 1 horsepower, which is equivalent to 745 watts (Bosch has 800, so still a little more, but it all depends on what you want to use the mixer for).

So weird that Costco's site says theirs has 1 horsepower, when even the Pro 600 only has 575 watts.

I'm jonesing for that Pro 600 these days. (My current mixer is red, which I love, but it doesn't really look great in my new kitchen, and those Pro 600's come in lots of colors--finally beautiful colors withouth having to settle for an Artisan!). Wait until Black Friday for a good sale. They are ALWAYS on sale on Black Friday. If nothing else, you can use a Bed Bath and Beyond coupon for it.

Mine is almost 25 years old and going strong. 

I am pretty sure when I bought mine it was one model only. It was expensive, I was on a budget (ha!) and was so happy to buy it. I bought it at Macys in NYC and schlepped it home on the bus, then had to walk about 6 blocks. They are so heavy!

I don't think you can go wrong with any model. 

Mine is almost 25 years old and going strong. 

I am pretty sure when I bought mine it was one model only. It was expensive, I was on a budget (ha!) and was so happy to buy it. I bought it at Macys in NYC and schlepped it home on the bus, then had to walk about 6 blocks. They are so heavy!

I don't think you can go wrong with any model. 

I schlepped mine home from the West Village. Maybe they were all on sale that week. Happy days!

amazon displays SHIPPING weight - ship weight is more because it includes all the packaging.  I've noticed that in the past about many different things.  can be frustrating at times.

http://www.costco.com/KitchenAid%c2%ae-Professional-6-Qt-Mixer.product.11754601.html  is the Costco page.

yes, it's a good price.  it is a sale price.  even their regular price is better than almost anywhere else.

How would you use it? I've had the Artisan for about 6-7 years now. I have a family of 4 and use it 2-3 times a week. Generally, I do a loaf of bread or rolls, a dessert of some sort, and something else (like mixing merengue or meatloaf or shredding chicken.) It gets more use over the holidays for multiple batches of cookies. I've never had a problem with it. If I had a larger family, used it daily, or expected it to mix multiple whole-wheat loaves very often, I might 'need' a more powerful model. I think I cook more than most people, and this model works well for my lifestyle. My family, however, tends to eat less bread than average. I'm also WAY more into cooking than baking, so my cuisinart gets as much, if not more, use than my mixer. I find the tilting head more convenient than my sister's model with the lifting head, but her family is larger and she needs more capacity. I also love that everything goes into the dishwasher and the coated accessories clean up so nicely.

All that said, it looks like a good price to me. Also, the bread hook is shaped a bit differently from mine and I find that intriguing.

All that said, it looks like a good price to me. Also, the bread hook is shaped a bit differently from mine and I find that intriguing.

The spiral dough hook is one of the BEST things about the bowl-lift models! I've heard from people with the c-hook that bread dough climbs up it and sometimes you have to stop the machine and push it back down. That never happens with the spiral hook. It is constantly pushing the dough down on ots own. I've also heard it kneads faster. I love mine!

• 1 month later...
Guest Zanthexter

I'm researching this mixer as a possible Christmas present purchase, and came across good pictures of the box here: http://costcocouple.com/kitchenaid-6-qt-stand-mixer/

Highlights are:

1) All metal gears

2) 1HP motor (bigger than usual) - 9lbs of potatoes rather than the 8 you see in most other descriptions

3) Slow Start and Extra Deep Bowl - folks complained about splashing and dust in some reviews, and about having to buy a replacement bowl because the normal lids don't fit, but I have to wonder if they read the manual or not...possibly not if they just kicked it right into turbo mode? Some of the reviews on the Costco site seemed to be for quite different models too, some folks just aren't all that bright and review a brand or the seller rather than the specific model. 

4) Price in November was $290 after rebate, it's $300 today, December. I expect you can beat the price with some significant hassle (a refurb, catching a sale plus a coupon and them having it in stock, etc.) but for a no hassle just pick it up price...probably the best you'll find.

My mother and I are discussing it, and I think we're going to buy it. The thing that seals the deal is Costco's return policy. If you don't like it, just bring it back, even a couple years later (with justification). There's no risk other than some time and gas. 

I just bought a new Kitchenaid Pro 600 at Kohl's on Thursday.  It was $450 on sale (from $550), I had a 30% off coupon (can give you the code if you have a Kohl's charge to use - PM me), a $50 rebate, and $10 in Kohl's cash for every $50 spent.  Thought it was a pretty code deal.  I was also able to get the color I wanted.  This is my first ever big mixer.  Dh and I burned up our hand mixer last Sunday making cookies.

If you can't make it to a store, you would get free shipping if you order on-line.