Menu

Favre's comment about memory loss

klmama

Well, I have been know to forget quite a bit (like nearly the whole babyhood of ds2), but I would not be surprised if Favre's memory loss was linked to concussions.  His beat-down by the Saints in January 2010 was one of the worst things I ever witnessed in a football game.

The scandal of the "bounty hunting" by the Saints defense bordered on criminal. I would have liked to see a permanent ban on the entire coaching staff.

Favre is/was one of the toughest men to have played quarterback. If he is concerned about memory loss, I would bet it is real and not normal for him.

I can't remember what I think about memory loss.  :tongue_smilie:

I agree with him though. When I experienced some medical issues and had memory loss it felt different than my normal I'm-in-my-forties memory loss. Deeper, somehow, and more scary.

Totally agree on the Saints and coaching staff. :thumbdown:  That's all I can say without rude words.

I (in my 40's) would be alarmed if I forgot a whole season of x like that. It strikes me as outside the realm of typical. In fact, forgetting an entire experience like that is on the list of early Alzheimer signs if I recall correctly. Ok, I checked it. It is on the list. So no, not typical/normal for 40.

I can't remember what I think about memory loss. :tongue_smilie:

I agree with him though. When I experienced some medical issues and had memory loss it felt different than my normal I'm-in-my-forties memory loss. Deeper, somehow, and more scary.

Totally agree on the Saints and coaching staff. :thumbdown: That's all I can say without rude words.

Yes. I agree.

My DD has memory loss from her seizures. It is like a dead zone. Totally different that forgetting something.

Yeah, that doesn't like seem like normal 40s brain fog to me. My stb ex dh had a concussion with some memory issues. We had a former neighbor pass away recently. I told him and it took him forever to remember who she was. This was one of my mom's best friends and someone we knew quite well for a certain period in our lives. It's a whole different beast than typical - it's just blankness. 

I understand why he's concerned about concussions, but his memory lapse seems to me like typical, mid-forties-type memory loss rather than from concussions.   What do you think?  http://chicago.cbslocal.com/2013/10/24/favre-admits-he-has-experienced-memory-loss/

“This was a little shocking to me that I couldn’t remember my daughter playing youth soccer,†he said. “It was just one summer, I think. I could remember her playing basketball, I could remember her playing volleyball, so I kind of think maybe (I thought) she only played a (soccer) game or two. Well, I think she played like eight. So that’s a little bit scary to me. So for the first time in 44 years, that kind of put a little fear in me.â€

This does not sound like typical mid-forties memory loss at all.  Not just a single incident, but not remembering an entire season?  I have forgotten individual events and conversations, but to not remember that would be scary and definitely not normal.  I'm 50 and have had some experience with memory issues related to my thyroid.  I've also had memory issues like what he describes here, but those were related to a time when I was experiencing extreme sleep deprivation (a baby who was waking 10 times a night.)  I would not have called those normal.  This isn't CRS disease (Can't Remember S#!^.) 

Thanks for all the comments, particularly those of you who have suffered memory loss from medical causes who could explain the difference.  I guess his comment that he thought she'd played one or two games made me think he just wasn't very involved in her daily life right at that point and so forgot.  It would be nice if that's all it was.  :sad:

American football would be safer (not completely safe) without the helmets, I think. They're used as weapons and the hits are so hard. 

I believe there was a 60 minutes show that interviewed helmet manufacturers as well as safety advocates.  The safety advocates, I believe, were making the same argument you make here. That actually, head injuries were much less in number before the helmets were as good as they are now.  Now the head can take a lot more pounding so it is used as another weapon in the game.  Sad.