Menu

We are in need of

MrsMe

We have an annual family movie night on Halloween. We've chosen either Goonies or Tremors to watch with our 12 yrold son.  They both have cussing in them, but I'm not sure it's possible to get something for that age that isn't either babyish or has some cussing.  Older siblings say we should go with Goonies, so that has the edge. 

If it were a girl we were picking for I might consider Labyrinth.  The one with David Bowie.  But, I don't think it'll appeal to my son.   Also, Hocus Pocus is a fun not-too-scary Halloween movie.

Common Sense media has very helpful reviews.

HTH

Hmm, depends in the kid. I might consider The Village. Will scare the daylights out of you but there is only one violent but not gory scene, no ba language. Very interesting twist at the end of the story and LOTS to talk about following the film.

Just depends on how squeamish/sheltered is the kid in question. "Suitable" is a relative term.

Signs is also good. Can you tell I'm an old-school M Knight fan? His new stuff is, well, not on par with these two (and Sixth Sense).

If you want something really innocuous, maybe The Ghost and Mrs Muir or another oldie like that.

What kind of movie?  Scary? Halloween themed?

I was thinking Coraline, ET, or Bettlejuice (love that movie), hmm, I'm having trouble thinking of what else we might watch.  Halloween has never been a big thing in our house, but we do like Halloween movies.  

If you just want ghosts, maybe Ghostbusters (does have language and a bedroom scene). 

The Birds?

I still find that movie scary but it's clean in terms of language, nudity, etc.

I always found that movie scary too when I watched it as a kid.  So I checked it out from the library so my kids could see it.  They were around 12-14.  They didn't think it was scary at all.  Make-up and special effects (not to mention color vs. black and white) really make modern movies so much more scarier. 

Hmm, depends in the kid. I might consider The Village. Will scare the daylights out of you but there is only one violent but not gory scene, no ba language. Very interesting twist at the end of the story and LOTS to talk about following the film.

Just depends on how squeamish/sheltered is the kid in question. "Suitable" is a relative term.

Signs is also good. Can you tell I'm an old-school M Knight fan? His new stuff is, well, not on par with these two (and Sixth Sense).

If you want something really innocuous, maybe The Ghost and Mrs Muir or another oldie like that.

See I thought about the Sixth Sense, but the visuals could do her in.   I loved Signs too and The Ghost and Mrs. Muir. :)

What kind of movie?  Scary? Halloween themed?

I was thinking Coraline, ET, or Bettlejuice (love that movie), hmm, I'm having trouble thinking of what else we might watch.  Halloween has never been a big thing in our house, but we do like Halloween movies.  

If you just want ghosts, maybe Ghostbusters (does have language and a bedroom scene). 

We did Beetlejuice last year! LOL.