Menu

Should I skip pre-algebra?

Elisabet1

I did Singapore Math with my older kids, and then went in to Jacob's Algebra. Now I am using Horizon's, which has a pre-algebra and an algebra.

I hear people frequently referring to prealgebra just being a review or a stepping stone year, and going straight in to the algebra, especially with Jacob's. My child does not struggle at all with Horizon's math 6, which we are finishing up now. What would you all recommend next?

I am not familiar with the curricula you mention, but in order to be ready for algebra, a student needs to be proficient in arithmetic (addition, subtraction, multiplication and division) with positive and negative integers and fractions, also in percent and decimal form.

You need to see if your student has mastered these skills.

"Prealgebra" does not really exist.

In addition to what Regentrude said, I'd add that they need to be proficient at order of operations and distributing over parenthesis - including distributing a negative over parentheses.

The above is why we are doing pre-algebra. DS has a good grasp of arithmetic, but he is slow at finding relationships, particularly when distributing and factoring numbers.

The above is why we are doing pre-algebra. DS has a good grasp of arithmetic, but he is slow at finding relationships, particularly when distributing and factoring numbers.

Ditto. My son needs the extra time spent on those topics that were touched on in elementary math, but not fleshed out. I've had to reiterate that the exponent belongs to only the number/letter in front of it, unless there are parenthesis, things like that. While he understood them when first taught, he needed plenty of *practice* to remember them long term. Prealgebra is doing that for him. We'll likely take 2 years for prealgebra, since he's very young and we're combining two programs (one for drill and one for deep conceptual understanding). I wanted my son really comfortable working with parenthesis, distributing, factoring, exponents, negative numbers, etc. before we move on to Algebra. With an older child (6th-7th grader), I'd only do one year of Prealgebra.

Prealgebra is a myth!

There is a discrete set of skills that students need in order to do well in algebra.

Proficiency in arithmetic using integers (signed numbers),

proficiency with fractions, and I would strongly encourage that many students also be good with decimals and percents, but more important than decimals & percents students should be good at recognizing when they can use distribution and how to do it, as well as order of operations.

I haven't seen many Algebra texts that don't start out with just about all of the review that you could need. I won't be so bold as to 'all Algebra 1 texts' but I will say that most Algebra 1/Beginning Algebra/Introductory Algebra texts that I have seen, begin with the review of fractions, order of operations and quickly establish all of the basic skills that one would need to do well in the course.

If your student is doing well in your current math course, I would try them in the first 1 or 2 chapters of the Algebra text that you have on hand. They should be just fine, if they are stumbling/struggling, just get more practice in their weak spots. I don't really recommend 'Prealgebra' as a full course of study unless a student is truly struggling with the basics of Algebra, and even then its just more time to address a weakness.

I'd also say-not all pre-algebras are created equal. My DD is in her 2nd year of Pre-algebra. She did Life of Fred/Key to Algebra last year, and is doing AOPS pre-Algebra this year, after doing SM through 5B and LoF Fractions and Decimals/percents. She's also worked through Mathletics, in an integrated math strand, through year 9.  I can say unequivocally that there is a LOT in AOPS pre-algebra that simply has never been covered in this exact way or to this level of detail before, and while I waffled on whether to do AOPS pre-algebra or move on, I'm very glad we took the year, because she's learning so much and really, really enjoying it.

I'd also say-not all pre-algebras are created equal. My DD is in her 2nd year of Pre-algebra. She did Life of Fred/Key to Algebra last year, and is doing AOPS pre-Algebra this year, after doing SM through 5B and LoF Fractions and Decimals/percents. She's also worked through Mathletics, in an integrated math strand, through year 9. I can say unequivocally that there is a LOT in AOPS pre-algebra that simply has never been covered in this exact way or to this level of detail before, and while I waffled on whether to do AOPS pre-algebra or move on, I'm very glad we took the year, because she's learning so much and really, really enjoying it.

Yes, I like AoPS pre-algebra because the problems aren't in standard format. He gets frustrated, which means he moves on to another problem or set the book aside, but overall, I think his patience with uncertainty has improved.

While working on a problem the other day, he said to himself, "How can I attack this problem?" It was interesting to watch him go down one path, discard it, and choose another method. Whenever DS solves a star or contest problem, he is elated in a way he wasn't with other math programs.

I am not familiar with the curricula you mention, but in order to be ready for algebra, a student needs to be proficient in arithmetic (addition, subtraction, multiplication and division) with positive and negative integers and fractions, also in percent and decimal form.

You need to see if your student has mastered these skills.

"Prealgebra" does not really exist.

This is largely encompassed in what you've listed, but I want my kids adept at solving relatively complex ratio and proportion problems before moving on to algebra. There's so much going on in solving these problems, that (in my mind at least) it demonstrates a mastery of basic arithmetic concepts.

Horizons Pre-Algebra has an advanced scope & sequence and gets into topics normally reserved for algebra 1 & H.S. geometry. You very well can condense the book by skipping the topics he already has a solid grasp on, but I would not jump directly from Horizons 6 into Horizons Algebra 1.

Just my $0.02 from having used Horizons Pre-A to supplement Singapore DM 7.

If you have been doing Horizons, I would not skip their pre-algebra. I would go ahead and do the pre-algebra, compacting if necessary. I haven't used Horizons, but when I looked up their course, it looks like there are 160 lessons and tests every ten lessons. I would give your child the tests. If s/he makes an A on the first test, s/he goes directly on to the next test. If s/he makes a B or C, do lessons that include problems like the ones s/he missed. If s/he makes less than a C, do all the lessons covered by that test.

In a public schooled environment, skipping a course like pre-algebra may be necessary to ensure an appropriate level of challenge. In a homeschooling environment, where we are not limited to the standard one year per course, I don't see any reason to do so. I would rather complete the pre-algebra course rapidly and then move to the algebra course.