Menu

So there's a tropical storm headed to the gulf coast

Slartibartfast

Well, technically just a tropical storm, but yes, inconvenient time for a government shut down.

I'm not sure there's ever a convenient time.

Honestly?  It's a tropical storm.  It may strengthen to a weak CAT1 by landfall, but anyone living on the Gulf coast has weathered plenty of those.  Around here, people are still throwing hurricane parties up until a CAT3.  I expect the local meteorologists and the Weather channel will be on top of it.

This is not a good scenario. NOAA website is shutdown and NOAA is still not operating at full capacity.

This website is up

http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/

From BBC

"The White House said the Federal Emergency Management Agency (Fema) was recalling some employees sent home by the US government shutdown.

On Thursday afternoon the National Hurricane Center in Miami said Karen was about 400 miles (644km) south of the mouth of the Mississippi River and had maximum sustained winds of 65mph (100km/h) with higher gusts.

Heavy rain could also affect parts of Cuba and Mexico's Yucatan Peninsula in the next couple of days, the forecasters said.

The hurricane centre forecasters are exempt from the US government shutdown because their work is deemed vital to protecting life and property." (Bolded mine, Link)

Looks like parts of FEMA are being recalled. But, National Guard pay still hasn't passed. I don't think they will be able to put them on TDY orders?

How will any of the agencies provide the biggies-food, sanitation, water, fuel, etc without budget money? 

The Antideficiency Act may actually prevent their ability to acquire everything that may be needed in the event of an emergency.

http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/text/refresh/MIATCMAT2+shtml/032047.shtml?

Due to the Federal Government shutdown, NOAA.gov and most associated web sites are unavailable. However, because the information this site provides is necessary to protect life and property, it will be updated and maintained during the Federal Government shutdown.

Really, this shouldn't affect storm coverage.  And in hurricane areas, there are lots of actual meteorologists with lots of tropical system experience on staff. I'm not diminishing the importance of NOAA; I'm just saying this isn't really going to affect the region, especially with a weak storm.

Honestly?  It's a tropical storm.  It may strengthen to a weak CAT1 by landfall, but anyone living on the Gulf coast has weathered plenty of those.  Around here, people are still throwing hurricane parties up until a CAT3.  I expect the local meteorologists and the Weather channel will be on top of it.

But the local meteorologists rely on data from NOAA.  My local television stations do not have reconnaissance aircraft nor computer systems to compile this kind of mega data.

Here is a case in which the feds do the background work.  As a coastal resident, I am grateful that they do--and want them back at work!

Even for just a tropical storm, I look at the NOAA models. Our roads flood.

NOAA is still operational.  Yes, the noaa.gov website has a closed for business sign (political theater - how much did they have to do to block the site?), but nhc.noaa.gov is up and running and has the disclaimer posted above that it will remain operational because it is necessary for life and property protection.

It's all still working.  I think we'll be okay.

My son was planning on driving to our home in Florida on Saturday. I am so afraid I will not get to see my grandsons now, but I sure do not want them driving in a hurricane or tropical storm.

My husband is driving South Carolina to Texas on Saturday and Sunday, staying overnight in Meridian, MS.  (so on I-20, not I-10) By the current track of the storm, we aren't concerned and he's still going to make the trip.

My son was planning on driving to our home in Florida on Saturday. I am so afraid I will not get to see my grandsons now, but I sure do not want them driving in a hurricane or tropical storm.

Not sure what direction he's coming from, but our current forecast in NE FL is dry on Saturday.  We won't feel any effects until late Sunday.

Oh please let it veer toward Texas, sit over Houston a few days, and refill our Hill Country lakes.

(Sorry Houstonians.)

I don't think we could deal with another Tropical Storm Alicia right now. The last thing we need is a major city flooded while federal emergency services are hamstrung.

I don't think we could deal with another Tropical Storm Alicia right now. The last thing we need is a major city flooded while federal emergency services are hamstrung.

I know, and I felt guilty even thinking it.

Though not guilty enough not to say it.

Could we sacrifice Padre? It could be fixed up in time for Spring Break.