Menu

Wording support as a professional for "alternative" choices

Joanne

I am writing my marketing material. I'd like to add a sentence or two about supporting or "it being safe" to be an "alternative" family in my practice with regard to educational, health, spirituality choices.

I'm having trouble wording it, though. Would you mind helping me?

I don't think Joanne was necessarily restricting the alternative choices to one set, those relating to sexuality and/or gender identification.  She specifically mentioned education, health, and spirituality.  

Joanne, IMO, "non-traditional families" may be interpreted by prospective clients as referring *only* to the first domain mentioned above, since it is such a hot topic at the moment.

I would try moving the adjective and changing the descriptive noun ot one that is less of a buzz-word:  individuals and families with non-traditional viewpoints (or beliefs --pick one word) are welcomed.   To me, viewpoints is wider than "lifestyles."

hth

I really may not be understanding then.

What is meant by alternative spirituality? Alternative educational choices?

I'd expect a licensed therapist to be open to homeschoolers, atheists, non Christian/Jewish/Muslim religions.

Is your practice going to have a focus (I'd like to work mainly with this population) or broad (work with everyone) or is that what you're trying to clarify in materials?

I really may not be understanding then.

What is meant by alternative spirituality? Alternative educational choices?

I'd expect a licensed therapist to be open to homeschoolers, atheists, non Christian/Jewish/Muslim religions.

Is your practice going to have a focus (I'd like to work mainly with this population) or broad (work with everyone) or is that what you're trying to clarify in materials?

But many aren't. And many homeschoolers, non Christians, alternative parents, and sexual minorities avoid therapy for that reason, so I want to be overt about it.

Since your office space is in a church, do you need to get that pastor's opinion?

Just to clarify, of course I don't mean getting his "permission" on what clients to serve, just on what wording might be appropriate or commonly used in the church's communications, in the interest of maintaining goodwill with your landlord.

Since your office space is in a church, do you need to get that pastor's opinion?

Just to clarify, of course I don't mean getting his "permission" on what clients to serve, just on what wording might be appropriate or commonly used in the church's communications, in the interest of maintaining goodwill with your landlord.

No. I am subleasing the space and not expected in any way to report to, account to, or interact on that level with the church.

I am strictly a part time tenant.

My practice works with (or has experience with) families (people) from all walks of life?

Work with all kinds of situations from traditional families to those in unique family situations?

Why not just list examples of issues you can address?

Have you looked at websites of other therapists that might do what you will be offering?

My practice works with (or has experience with) families (people) from all walks of life?

Work with all kinds of situations from traditional families to those in unique family situations?

Why not just list examples of issues you can address?

Have you looked at websites of other therapists that might do what you will be offering?

All 7 pages of local therapists. A very high percentage of Christian counselors.

A list of areas and specialties will e a separate part of the page.

You can include some of your history in an "about me" section. If I see that a potential therapist homeschooled her children, I expect she's open to homeschooling.

You could simply say, "experience with homeschooling, non Christians, alternative parenting, and LGBTQIA".

I can't put my finger on why, but "sexual minorities" rubs me wrong.

Again, I'm not sure what is meant by alternative parenting. I'd almost question if there's anything resembling "traditional parenting" out there nowadays....

Personally, if I'm dealing with past issues with the church, meeting in a church is going to make me uncomfortable. Just as a FYI. I'm sure you've considered that though... I'd definitely need to know in advance...and it likely would have been an issue for me.

All 7 pages of local therapists. A very high percentage of Christian counselors.

A list of areas and specialties will e a separate part of the page.

No, just in general. Maybe google "alternative psychology" or "wellness psychology". Or something like that. They might have wording I their websites that you like. I know a lot of "wellness centers" have therapists on staff that are more alternative in their views and practices. Pick a big city like Chicago or San Francisco or Seattle that might have more alternative therapists.

Things I see in ads and materials here in the Seattle area:

All families (with a little rainbow family logo)

LGBT or LGBTQIA friendly

Queer friendly

Accepting to complementary medicine

Experience with religious minorities.

All religions and beliefs welcomed.

Experience with/welcoming to transgendered people.

Here is a site with a lot of different providers all housed in one spot. You can browse their bios and provider information for examples.

http://www.seattlehealingarts.com/practitioners-main.htm

Honestly? Unless they have a fish or other such indicator, I would assume a professional is not exclusionary. I go into any situation knowing they might not be familiar with my family arrangement, religion, etc., but that it won't be a basis for bias against me. I have yet to find otherwise.

How about "welcoming to clients of all faiths, genders, orientations, health philosophies, and traditional or non-traditional relationships and subcultures."

Or, "welcoming to all (yes, I mean you!)"

Honestly? Unless they have a fish or other such indicator, I would assume a professional is not exclusionary. I go into any situation knowing they might not be familiar with my family arrangement, religion, etc., but that it won't be a basis for bias against me. I have yet to find otherwise.

How about "welcoming to clients of all faiths, genders, orientations, health philosophies, and traditional or non-traditional relationships and subcultures."

Or, "welcoming to all (yes, I mean you!)"

Yup.

Personally, if I'm dealing with past issues with the church, meeting in a church is going to make me uncomfortable. Just as a FYI. I'm sure you've considered that though... I'd definitely need to know in advance...and it likely would have been an issue for me.

I also agree with this.