Menu

Just jabbed a needle in my thigh

ThatHomeschoolDad

Yes, it was planned, and I suppose "jabbed" is the wrong word, as I was using #25 needle and I barely felt it as it just kinda glided in under gentle pressure.   It was my first self-administered testosterone shot, prescribed to compensate for my pituitary gland having gone dormant after cancer treatment in January.  I'm on synthroid for the same reason.

My question for any diabetics or other self injectors is about disposal.  I re-capped the syringe and put it back in it's peel-open package.  Can this go in municipal trash, or do I need a sharps container with those biohazard labels?   Were might one dispose of such a container once it's full?  I'm only using one syringe every two weeks.

Thanks.

This might be helpful: http://www.safeneedledisposal.org

Regulations vary depending on where you live, but it's at best a bad idea to put loose used needles in the trash. Even if you know you don't have any communicable diseases, the sanitation worker who might get stuck with your needle doesn't know that!

Ask at your doctor's office (some will take a few sharps off your hands), pharmacy, or your medication manufacturer -- some have mail-in programs for used needles.

check your local ordinance, but here, dh puts his used needles in an old gallon white vinegar bottle. it's thicker plastic than a milk jug. when it's full, he snaps the lid on tightly and puts it in the regular trash. his lancets from his meter go there, too.

My son is the one on injections. The first time we filled the Rx, they gave us a large sharps container and  a small portable one. The big one came with a box to mail it back to them. I don't think you're supposed to put medical waste in the municipal trash. He has an injector pen that goes in the trash, only the needles go in the sharps container.

you will need to check for your state's disposal regs.

because it was home use and not a provider, I could use a solid plastic container and not have to purchase the containers from the pharmacy.  (wish my dd pharmd-student had told me before I bought the pharmacy container - I needed a second container anyway.)

depending upon size of needle, they are supposed to be separated from the syringe and only the needles have to be placed into the sharps container.  insulin syringes the cap goes on, and the whole thing goes in.  (I used two sizes of needles/syringes)  when it is full, the lid is to be tapped on with something like duct tape, and using a sharpie to label the  container as medical waste.  

We are allowed to put them in the regular trash, but do the same as you, put them in a container first. We also take the extra step of bending the needle (simply press it against the edge of the counter) before disposal just to ensure that it can't be used again, should someone go rifling through the dump .

We are allowed to put them in the regular trash, but do the same as you, put them in a container first. We also take the extra step of bending the needle (simply press it against the edge of the counter) before disposal just to ensure that it can't be used again, should someone go rifling through the dump .

Bending the needle is not something I considered. since I just re-capped and left it screwed onto the syringe.  Are you capping the end of the needle and bending in the middle, or using the leverage of the syringe with an uncapped needle?  Has a needle ever snapped?

Sounds like a method for which I'd get out my safety glasses, but I'm paranoid about my eyes.