Menu

Is the Times Tales DVD worth it?

DawnL

I am considering getting this for my 4th grade son. He definitely needs assistance in memorizing the multiplication tables and I want to help him as much as possible.

Any ideas on addition and subtraction tables, too? My younger son is just learning this. I've tried the Timez Attacks online game but neither of my boys really like it.

Thanks!

My friend had great succes with this program, and I had success with a similar program from multiplication.com.   I think visual mnemonic devices work great with visual children.   Memory trainers and champions across the world use similar techniques.  There is something to building an exaggerated visual memory.  It just sticks faster and better.  I wish there was something like it for add/sub.  

It didn't work for us. It was just confusing. We prefer chants/music. I like the CD Multiplication Mountain. I bought agility rings, and my kid would shout the answer and jump to a ring each time a problem came up. We also did this without music to practice skip counting. I've also used tossing bean bags back and forth while skip counting. Also, TimesTables (it has a pic of a tiger) and Math Fact (it's blue and has 2+2 on the picture) are good apps for drill. We also like Marble Math and Mathris (the one with a pic of billiard balls).

I was told it wasn't worth it.  If you have the book, you have everything you need.  The local tutor teaches this whole thing over one day and sends the parents home with work to keep the remedial going strong.

What if I don't have the book, either? Would it be worth it to buy the book, rather than the DVD? If it helps, great. If not, I don't want to waste my money

Another vote for Xtra Math.

Dd6 sets a timer and is expected to work at least 20 minutes.  If the lesson ends, she is expected to log out, and log back in.  And I can check if she is sluffing off (as she did a few days ago).  I just reset the timer for 20 minutes in that case.

Xtra Math is just boring ol' math facts.  It may be no frills, but it IS effective.

Dd6 was resistant at first, but she has seen that she is making progress with her addition proficiency.

Other things we have experienced with Xtra Math:

-- Proficiency is considered to be 3 seconds or less for a math fact.  Since dd6 is still learning some of her facts, I have change it to the 6s mode.  She is nearing the top score of 100.  At that point, I will give her the choice for Subtraction @ 6s or Addition @3s.

--Once dd6 hits a score of 100, we go out for ice cream!

--Your child will take an initial test for Xtra Math in the mode you assign.  They may improve, but their score may also drop at first.  DON'T PANIC.  This is because new and harder problems are introduced to your child.  After all, 6+7 is harder than 2+2.