Menu

Way to go, Diana Nyad!

Seasider

What a story of persistence and creativity to beat all the odds!  And at 64!!  Truly amazing and inspiring.  As an aside, there was a recent NPR story on the, well, basically old-age Olympics (can't remember what it's called) in which several octogenarians were interviewed.  They were all doing amazing physical feats for their age. 

Lisa

Such an awesome story.  I was so happy for her.  So much to admire...that she kept trying (five times!) and finally succeeded at 64.  I also love that her body is not "perfect."  My kids and I were looking at some of the videos of the coverage, and I wanted to point out to them what an amazing, fit body she has.  Need to negate the only thin or only a very low body fat (although her body fat is lower than most women her age no doubt).  She needed some fat to make the swim to fuel her for 53 hours. :)

I love the way she problem solved after every attempt. I think she refined the attack each time, and finally got the right combination of strategy and uniform to pull it off. I admire her perseverance.

She did swim straight through, but took nourishment at some intervals except as she neared the end. I look forward to hearing more details once she's had time to rest up.

Does anyone know if she slept? Did she keep swimming the whole time? Sleep in the water (like floating)? Or get out of the water and sleep in a boat for a while?

It's mind-boggling to me what she accomplished.

According to the rules, she wasn't allowed to even touch the boat during her swim, much less get out of the water.  She stopped several times to eat, but didn't sleep.  "Impressive" doesn't even being to cover what she did.

According to the rules, she wasn't allowed to even touch the boat during her swim, much less get out of the water.  She stopped several times to eat, but didn't sleep.  "Impressive" doesn't even being to cover what she did.

Wow! Even more amazing than I first thought then! Good for her!