Menu

Rude picture used as a bookmark in a library book? WWYD

curlgirl

I would mention it to the librarians in case it is part of a pattern of someone inappropriately placing rude pictures in books. But toss it. They don't need to see it to get the point.

I think they should see it in case it is part of a pattern...it might be the start of something, or a test pic that might lead to more graphic pics.

Toss it and not think twice about it.  I can't tell you how many library books I have checked out and never even flipped through when I got them home.  The last person who checked it out, may not be the owner of the card.  

It could also have been left by someone who didn't check it out, just perused it at a table or such.  

Our library system allows patrons the option of keeping a "reading history" on our account.  I do that. But I don't believe the library can see it.  I don't know why they'd want or need to keep that information, anyway, once the book has been returned. 

I imagine they know how many times and how often a book is checked out, but not by whom.

(In my case, it's not really a reading history but a checkout history, as I actually read a small fraction of the books I check out.)

Our library has a check-out history for each item.  I once accidentally left one of my own CDs in a talking book box and they were able to contact me when the next borrower found it.

I'd still bin the picture and move on.

L

Our library has a check-out history for each item. I once accidentally left one of my own CDs in a talking book box and they were able to contact me when the next borrower found it.

I'd still bin the picture and move on.

L

There are US Libraries that adhere to the ALA policy on privacy of records, and therefore do not keep any once items are returned: http://www.ala.org/Template.cfm?Section=otherpolicies&Template=/ContentManagement/ContentDisplay.cfm&ContentID=13084.

There is also software that now allows patrons to have individual accounts where only they can view items they have checked out (as it's password protected.) Unfortunately, there are also some libraries that do keep a longstanding records of the books a patron checks out. These are the ones that make it easier for government agencies to access individual records via subpoena or through sheer lack of knowledge on the matter (as in turn over records because a law agency asks for them.)

Unfortunately, there are also some libraries that do keep a longstanding records of the books a patron checks out. These are the ones that make it easier for government agencies to access individual records via subpoena or through sheer lack of knowledge on the matter (as in turn over records because a law agency asks for them.)

I understand the concern, but considering all the information that we willingly put on line to be read by whatever agency, I can't get too aerated about my library record.

L

I would first ask nonchalantly about whether or not my librarians could trace who had a book before me. If they could, I would mention that I'd find a highly inappropriate picture stored in the book. Honestly, I can't imagine what telling would do..

It doesn't really matter who had the book out last, because the entire community has access to library books without checking them out. Anyone could slip that drawing in

To what purpose? Just because Person X was the last to check out the book in no way means that was the last person to handle the book. If it was on the shelf, anyone could have picked it up and put the picture inside.

OP, throw it away and move on.

I agree. There's no point in saying anything because there's really no way to know where the picture came from. Just toss it and move on. Have a talk with your dc about how some people are inconsiderate if you feel you must, but that's all you can do.

This is actually a book about items left in books....

http://www.amazon.com/Forgotten-Bookmarks-Booksellers-Collection-Between/dp/0399537015

What an interesting topic for a book!  Have you read it?  The description sounds intriguing. 

I've read it also.  It was a quick read which I finished in less than an hour.  It was a visually interesting read (or perhaps browse is a more appropriate word choice).  My favorite find was one the author recounted in the preface -- a marijuana leaf pressed between the pages of a microwave cookbook. The author made a remark about imagining someone with the munchies trying to make a quick meal and using the nearest thing for a bookmark.

Regards,

Kareni