Menu

I want one large, all purpose pan

Danestress

I a minimalist with a small kitchen and a small sink. I want one large sauté/fry pan, not non-stick, that I can cook four pieces if meat in. I have an ok dutch oven and I have smaller pans. I am not sure I can wash up a 14 inch pan, though that would be ideal.

What would you want for everyday, hard use? I don't know if slopes or straight sides would be ideal. I know there is no one pan that would be ideal for everything, but space is an issue. I would love one without a long handle, but most of them have long handles, so there must be a reason people want them.

If I were the one buying it, I would look for something that comes with a lid for increased functionality.

I have a cast iron pan like zoobie linked but find that I don't use it much due to its weight. But that's just me... it IS a nice pan.

My Lodge Cast Iron is 12" diameter. That is the largest I want to lift (need 2 hands for it) but this pan does EVERYTHING. The more you use it, the better it gets seasoned and does not stick.

There are universal lids available from Williams Sonoma - or at least that is where I got mine years ago.

2nd the cast iron.  I have a 10" (or maybe it's 12" ??), and it works great.  I fry up chicken in it all the time as well as stir fry, rice/roni,frying bacon, etc. etc.   It has tall lip so I can put the biggest lid for my pots on it when I need something covered.  I've been using cast iron for 25yrs and love it.  If I start to have problems with sticking (which is rare) then I just re-season the pan.

I have had several "everyday" pans.  They are much deeper than a regular frying pan, so you can do skillet suppers, but you can still do pancakes and such in them.  Straight or sloping sides hasn't made much difference for me, but the sloping ones usually slope in such a way that you can "scoop" up them but they also hold sauces and stews just fine.  Mine have been non-stick, but they make similar stainless ones.  Here's a selection - they are called "everyday pans" by the manufacturers, and they really are just that.

Oh gosh.

I accidentally read the title of this thread as "I want one large, all purpose MAN." :eek:

There I go, with my mind in the gutter again. :blush:

Sorry. Please carry on. The pan stuff is interesting, too! :)

I have a very functional man already, and only have space for the one, unfortunately.

Another vote for cast iron here... it's so well used that it is practically non-stick at this point. I love, love, love it and nothing compares. I've tried others and always come back to it..... Things I love about it...

stovetop to oven

even heating because of it's heft, so it's hard to burn things

easy to clean, easy to season.