Menu

Which healthy oil to sub in this awesome!!! granola recipe?

momee

I don't want to use canola or "vegetable oil" in this...any idea what other oil I could use? I'm new to the oil subbing ideas.

http://books.google.com/books?id=Ud_nFsXqSVEC&pg=PT124&lpg=PT124&dq=fruit+and+seed+granola,+weelicious&source=bl&ots=eTwDGXETO1&sig=qptCWM1eUawLsq4-bCVssUOWjdE&hl=en&sa=X&ei=KQf9UbL8NMPD4AOcroCoAQ&ved=0CEwQ6AEwBQ#v=onepage&q=fruit%20and%20seed%20granola%2C%20weelicious&f=false

Here is the blog post I was reading about oil subs, just not sure which one would work here...

http://mywholefoodlife.com/2013/08/01/whats-the-deal-with-oil/

I'm obviously new to all this.

I have some in my cabinet but the exp date says use by 2012.

Smells ok - organic and cold pressed.  Toss it?

Also found this review of TJ's oil on Amazon...

"The price point of this product makes it immediately attractive. It's only detractor, the labeling, fails to mention the various qualities that a health concious consumer needs to know when comparing the more expensive alternatives. After some research, a manager at the Trader Joe's-Bollinger helped unravel this dilemma by providing the following information. Trader Joe's Coconut Oil is: non-hydrogenated, cold pressed--no heat is used at any time during the processing, raw filtered, unpasturized, and is strained. Hope this helps!"

So I'm looking for oil that is non-hydrogenated, cold pressed, raw filtered unpasturized and strained?

Any info you feel like typing, I'll be happy to read.  I'll be doing some research.

Just for fun went to my cabinet again and found these oils

Sunflower oil - toss?

Grapeseed oil - ok but don't cook with?

toasted sesame oil - fine either way?

sesame oil expeller pressed - ok to cook with?

and high heat refined expeller pressed safflower oil - no good, used in processed foods, toss?

and of course the big glug jug of evoo - trying to use WAY less of that stuff!

Also found this review of TJ's oil on Amazon...

"The price point of this product makes it immediately attractive. It's only detractor, the labeling, fails to mention the various qualities that a health concious consumer needs to know when comparing the more expensive alternatives."

::resisting the urge to go to the Amazon review and correct the grammar:: :rofl:

Coconut oil. But where do you get unsweetened coconut flakes?

Bob's Red Mill sells unsweetened coconut flakes.  Check Amazon.  Bob's also sells mail order and at the mill, if you are fortunate enough to live nearby.   Maybe Whole Foods carries them too.

Recipe sounds great!