Menu

Library Organizer

Hi - 

I need to organize my books.  I have bought duplicate books because I forgot about books that I own.  I also put books in bins for storage and forget where they are. I save most of my regular books because I have a 3 year old who will be able to use them later.   I know I have seen posts about online services and software that people use for organizing their books, but I searched and couldn't find anything.  If you use a book organizing system, what do you use?  Do you like it and recommend it?  Can you scan the books or do you have to type each one into the software?

I would appreciate any help that you can give.

Thank you,

Suzanne

Library Thing has tags. You could also look at Good Reads (it has shelves instead of tags) and Shelfari. In addition there are programs & apps. I was using Library Thing, but my subscription (which is cheap) ran out. I'd like to switch to Good Reads, because they have a free scanner app for Android, but I'm not sure how to organize all the books I have that I haven't read.

I"ve used Readerware and loved it (my mobile app back then was for the Palm!). I bought Book Crawler and will use that once we get the living room taken care of - the desktop app is Mac only i think. Which reminds me of something I need to put on another list! LOL!!

Little tip.  This may be on a lot of them, don't know, but with Readerware I can drag and drop books in.  This is really helpful with the older and oop stuff.  I can find the book on amazon and drag it in myself.  I have a barcode scanner, but the cheap ones are so persnickity, I usually just use the numeric keypad on my keyboard and enter them.  If I were say getting SL cores or that kind of thing, where all the books were new and would have bar codes with no stickers on them, then I'd use the scanner more. 

I've got about 7K books in my system btw.  At a certain point you just pick one and stick with it.  I changed one time (from something else to this), but since then I've just stayed put.  The new stuff is probably terrific, I just don't have time to re-enter or fiddle with exporting databases.  I find simple is adequate for me.  I like having pictures, searchability, and the drag and drop.  As long as I have that, I'm good.

I need to be able to group my books.  I have too many to keep out so I need to store a lot of them in bins.  I would like to be able to have a list for each bin.   Then, I can easily find the book I need instead of buying it again.  Is grouping like this available on any or all of the mentioned software/apps?  

Thank you all so much.  

Suzanne

I need to be able to group my books. I have too many to keep out so I need to store a lot of them in bins. I would like to be able to have a list for each bin. Then, I can easily find the book I need instead of buying it again. Is grouping like this available on any or all of the mentioned software/apps?

Thank you all so much.

Suzanne

I'm using the Book Crawler app. If I wanted to do what you describe I would add a tag for each bin. So then I could pull up the tag for 'Bin #8' and see everything in that bin. That tag would be in addition to other tags, so one book could be labeled 'ancient rome' and 'magic tree house' and 'bin 8'. I'm sure that any of the apps with tags would allow you to do the same.

I've used Goodreads with the mobile phone app (love scanning everything). It lets you tag things in different categories.

The downside is that you have to keep up with it every time you get new books in. I never got around to this, so I have probably 2/3 of my library entered, and now it's all out of date. :tongue_smilie:

I've used Goodreads with the mobile phone app (love scanning everything). It lets you tag things in different categories.

The downside is that you have to keep up with it every time you get new books in. I never got around to this, so I have probably 2/3 of my library entered, and now it's all out of date. :tongue_smilie:

Hey! Me too!

I have been using the Book Crawler app on my iPad and like it. Books can be put into "collections" and also "tagged". My collections are basic subjects such as 'History'. Then the book will have added tags such as 'US History', 'Presidents', 'American Revolution' etc. Your collection can be sort any number of ways. By author, series, collection, tag etc. I like that with each book entry there is a picture of the book cover. If the book is older or the wrong cover is imported with the ISBN, I simply do an image search on Google and find the correct picture.

LibraryThing.  I tag with the "usual suspects" (genre, subject, time period) but also with country (I have books in two different ones) and am thinking of adding another tag that indicates shelf or box/bin as well.  

I second previous posters that the key is to keep up with it.  I am actually starting over after a huge purge.  My current LT lists and my actual inventory no longer match.  Time to fix that.  

I bought a scanner, http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B006LVO56W/ref=oh_details_o02_s01_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 , but some have phones that will work. My Kindle will not scan with Librarything.com . I had the same issue of buying multiple copies of books. I love that I can take the Kindle when out and search by tag or title to determine what books I want or need. I have a wish list on Library thing too.

Get the kids to do it! Every time a new book arrives, let it be their responsibility to make sure it is scanned. This is what I'm planning to do once we have all our books scanned in, anyway. We'll see how it goes.

Get the kids to do it! Every time a new book arrives, let it be their responsibility to make sure it is scanned. This is what I'm planning to do once we have all our books scanned in, anyway. We'll see how it goes.

That's funny!  I was just looking at the scanner that someone posted and my 11 year old saw it.  She totally wants to scan books for me!

Suzanne

Sometimes I'm needing to hide the books from the oldest, so he won't read them all before we get to them in school. :lol:

Like the World Wars book for Sonlight Core E. I know he will love it. I'm saving it so he will be excited when we get there. After that, it will be on the shelf, and he can read it a gazillion times. ;) He has absolutely no clue that it's even in the closet right now. Bwahahahaha!

Psst. How do you handle organizing in Goodreads? It seems much more oriented to what you've read. What about library books? Do you have a huge "unread" shelf? Use two accounts - one for books owned and one for books read? I'd love to use Goodreads, but I can't wrap my mind around what shelves I need. Care to share your setup?

Psst. How do you handle organizing in Goodreads? It seems much more oriented to what you've read. What about library books? Do you have a huge "unread" shelf? Use two accounts - one for books owned and one for books read? I'd love to use Goodreads, but I can't wrap my mind around what shelves I need. Care to share your setup?

I tagged things as owning them or not. I don't add library books to Goodreads, though you could. I have Library Elf remind me when my library books are due, so I don't feel a need to track them in any other manner (love Library Elf!!!!).

I also have things tagged as being for a particular curriculum and whatnot. You can have multiple tags.