Menu

I've decided to quit my homeschool co-op, after six years

We've spent the last six years going to a once a week, half day co-op. Well, not really a co-op, it's more like a tutorial. I pay fees for the classes, usually something along the lines of art, writing, or a foreign language, and then I go to a mom's bible study or homeschool meeting.

I originally started going because the older dds seemed to really want some kind of group, and we just kept going to have somewhere to belong. Dd16 (who is now in school) especially seemed to crave that kind of activity. Dd13 enjoyed it, too, but she's fine without it. Dd9 and I thought it felt like slow torture - not the activity itself, really, just the long drive out there and back, and the exhausting day.

I found several reasons why I could finally talk myself into quitting, despite the fact that dd13 is now about to start 9th grade. Besides being far from home and a huge interruption to our week, not to mention costly (gas and tuition), I'm just tired of being tied to someone else's schedule. I could never get as much accomplished in a week as I'd wanted to. TOG is not going to be something I can cram into 4 and a quarter days a week, I don't think. It was all just too much going, and too much money.

I can thank dd9 for pushing me over the edge. She pleaded with me, "Can I just have one year that I don't have to go out there?" Poor kid just wants to be homeschooled, at home. Those are my sentiments exactly - I honestly don't know why I kept it up for so long. I wasn't really getting as much out of it as I'd convinced myself I was.

We have plenty of other things going on, and I don't really need a support group, anyway (that's what you guys are for, and you do a mighty fine job of it, too :)). I will have to drum something up for Spanish for dd13, but I'm pretty sure I can do that.

I'm looking forward to getting her into some dual-enrollment classes later on in high school, but for now, we're going to enjoy a rest from all this activity. It will be a very productive year, with a full five days a week available.

Just wanted to share my big change. I feel very optimistic and just so free at the thought of this new school year being all mine to schedule.

We've done co-op activities for 5 years, and also decided that this is the year to cut it out of our schedule. I do think my kids will miss it though. However, we live in a big city with lots of homeschoolers, so we will still have other group activities (a homeschoolers gym class, maybe a craft club for my daughter with a few friends, group field trips) but it will be less stress. I was always involved in organizing the co-ops and the burden of planning plus the travel time just took too much away from my own kids.

Good luck, it sounds like a good decision.

Nikita

Just wanted to share my big change. I feel very optimistic and just so free at the thought of this new school year being all mine to schedule.

I'm glad for you! There are so many great things to do, classes to take, places to go ~ but it can come at a cost, can't it?

Makes perfect sense! I've never "done" a co-op and don't even know if we have such a thing out here. But just from what I've read, it wouldn't be my cup of tea for long, if at all.

Sounds like y'all have a great year ahead!

Congratulations! We homeschoolers ARE independent! It's in our blood!

Seriously, we did the same thing a couple of years ago and feel good about the decision. While we miss some of the contacts, the drive and the classes were, as one of my kids said, stressing our family out! We pulled back and limited our activites to those that were more fulfilling and productive. Instead of driving nearly an hour to coop, we can get more work done and have more time to do things we want to. I wish my children had more homeschool buddies but decided that pushing to force the contact wasn't really building great friendships anyway.

Life interferes sometimes - like having a baby with colic in the house and trying to homeschool 3 other children. Or having one student dual-enrolled who doesn't drive yet! Or the co-op simply doesn't meet your present needs!

I dropped out of our support group this year, too. We didn't participate enough to reap the benefits of the dues (which have increased this year). Also, it was getting so big it was beginning to get a bit "cliquey." People who went to the same couple of churches got together, and if you weren't a member of those churches you basically didn't fit in.

And, most families in our group don't go through high school, which is pretty much where we are right now. Very few homeschool beyond grade 8, although it's getting a little better.

Ladies,

I completely understand! This is the main reason I never became involved with the most popular of the local co-op's or others. I felt like one of the reasons I hs my kids was to follow our schedule and to be home. The local co-op's follow the public school's schedule which bothers me alittle.

Also, I felt that a majority of parents looked to co-op's for math or science help, and we did not need that help.

I have always kept two days completely free - no music, no dance, no church dinner/bible school. My kids have always been able to get 1 1/2 days of school done on those two days completely free and at home.

I hope that you see great rewards and freedom with your decision.

RRice

You know, I think that I am one of those who suffered previously from Co-op Envy. I have heard of these terrific co-ops but nothing close to terrific was happening in my radar. People asked me to teach their kids math in a co-op. What would they offer my child? Social time.

My son will be experiencing his first CC courses via dual enrollment this fall. That should be an interesting adventure!

Best to all,

Jane

We're spoiled - we're gonna be starting our 2nd year (after many years of running to enrichment co-op) with a small group. Last year was 5 moms this year is 6 or 7. Kid total is around 30. It was orig. set up for classes for the older kiddos - not fluff but not hard-core. Basically a framework to build on at home. Last year a mom taught IEW; this year I'm confident to teach it at home to my kiddos. This year we're doing speech (Toastmasters guy coming to teach it) all year and 1/2 year each of government and newspaper. We just do 2 classes (3 last year) with lunch (social time for kiddos and mommas) in between. Speech is 1.5 hrs. and the 2nd period after lunch is 1 hr. It doesn't start 'til 10:30 and is 15 min. away, so we'll be able to get basics done at home before going.

Excited to be teaching an American Girl unit study (enrichment activites pretty much) for the younger kiddos.

Should be a good year. Co-op without it taking over our life!

Just some ideas,

Kimm

I'm doing the same thing this year. I may go to a once per month business/support meeting, but I'm definitely quitting with our Tuesday classes. It takes too much of a school day and most of the curriculum used is nothing that I would pick due to my dc's learning styles and our classical bent. I think if I have to dish out money, then I would rather pay for an online class.

FWIW,