Menu

Allergy Moms - Allergies in Public Indoor Spaces?

Jean in Newcastle

Sorry for all the allergy questions but we've never had allergies this bad before.  I had thought that ds's allergies (which seem to include all sorts of pollen and dust) would be better at the air conditioned library or the Y or other public places.  That doesn't seem to be the case.  Do you know why?  He's starting to feel like he can't go anywhere since he can't go outside and indoor spots are only minimally better.  (We're continuing to work with the doctor to find the right medications etc.)

We struggle with this, too.  Sometimes it feels like a bubble is the only way to go, but that's clearly not an option.  

The right combo of meds will help, plus reducing his overall allergy load by cleaning up his space at home as much as possible.  You're working on his space at home, and working on the meds.

Public places are no less full of allergens (dust, pollen) than home or any other space.  Libraries tend to not only have their own allergens (dust, pollen tracked in on shoes) but also all the potential allergens from other people's homes - books go home, stay in houses with a different set of allergens (dander, smoke, etc) and come back to the library.  Same thing for the Y - dust, tracked in pollen, allergens coming in on various people's clothing.  

ETA: We never know how the air filtration systems are kept up in public places, either!

You can't count on air filtration in public places. Air conditioning alone isn't enough to guarantee clean air. Having said that, my dd's allergies are generally better at the pool than they are in the rest of the Y. I take an air filter when I take her to a friend's house. It is also a great relief to us to go up into the mountains above the tree line or to the ocean to get some lower allergen air. We have been trapped for months indoors which leads to it's own set of problems like fear, anxiety and depression. How old is he? When was the last time he was tested? What antihistamines is he taking? What kind of reactions is he having? What does your allergist say?

He is 16.  He is being treated by the pediatrician but if this last round of meds doesn't work then we are being referred to an allergist.  He has just started a combination of Astelin (anti-histamine) and Flonase.  He has also gone dairy free.  We have air filters at home and have just bought (but not installed yet) a wood floor for his room at home.  He also takes vitamins A, D, and Quercetin.  He is very congested and puffy and cannot concentrate.  Sometimes he has random hives - esp. if he goes outside for even a moment.  Just his morning he had an anxiety attack from feeling depressed and cooped up.  

So he isn't taking an overall antihistamine, just nasal ones? The random-ish hives indicate an overall high allergy load that won't be addressed by an nasal treatment. My dd gets hives from pollen in the air. You might want to try adding a zyrtec along with a 75mg dose of ranitidine (zantac) for him daily. Costco has the best prices in town on these.

Is he also having trouble sleeping? I ask because my dd started having a terrible time sleeping when her allergies became severe. A dose of benadryl at night can help with that - although she now takes something stronger.

----

need a disclaimer

----

Over the past few years, we've spent a lot of time at allergy and immunology offices and clinics, but I am not a medical professional.

-----

It could be sick building syndrome (http://www.epa.gov/iaq/pdfs/sick_building_factsheet.pdf) which affects even those without allergies. Also the air-con filter may be filthy and that affects allergies. For air-conditioned libraries, I feel better at the bigger ones because of the usually better air circulation. The smaller air-con places are cold but stuffy for me so I avoid if possible.

Allergy shots have been very worth it for me. It takes a few months for them to start working, though.

Breath right strips allowed me to sleep when my pollen allergies were at their worst before I got shots.

If he showers as soon as he gets home, that can help. A good filter also helps. I have the Whirlpool 510, it is one of the few that works well on the lower speed.

http://www.amazon.com/Whirlpool-Whispure-Purifier-Cleaner-AP51030K/dp/B00440EKRG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1373487425&sr=8-1&keywords=Air+filter+510

I eventually had to get an even more expensive one with an acticated carbon filter, but you only need those if you also react to VOCs.

A few things that may help:

Wash all sheets and towels in hot water, even if they are dark colors. Shower right before bed and sleep in a clean outfit that has not been outside.

Watch the local pollen and mold counts and go out when it is low and then shower, certain things are higher and lower at different times of the day.

Not comfortable for long term use, but this can allow you to function outside for a bit, and also blocks out VOCs:

http://www.homedepot.com/p/3M-Tekk-Protection-Household-Multi-Purpose-Respirator-65021HA1-C/202080143#.Ud3Ixcu9KSM

They also have blue and black, this is the one I have.

He has actually done the respirator thing! I wonder what our neighbors think. . . .

My neighbors knew me and understood, but random people driving down the street did stare at me and wonder.

(I wore mine due to VOC contamination in our basement. I am still getting rid of the last bit of stuff that was contaminated, 6 months of airing out later the fabric and cardboard items are still bad. Metal and plastic seems to be fine wiped down.)

Allergy shots. My dd started hers a number of years ago and they have changed her life. She used to be unable to go outside at certain times of the year without crying, and she always had a headache. She doesn't take any meds at all now. My son did well on meds for a number of years and then they stopped working. He started shots this January and the absolutely miserable eye allergies he had been suffering from year round went away quite quickly. From what I have read, they work best on children. My husband has gotten some relief, but they weren't as effective for him as for my kids.

Has he been allergy tested. I have found that to be the most helpful, that and seeing an actual allergist vs. a regular ped. I thought for sure that my oldest son had seasonal allergies, but I found out though the testing that he doesn't. He has non-allergic rhinitis. He isn't actually allergic but too much dust, pollen, or whatever overloads his system. He takes Qvar nasally, along with zyrtec. It has helped a lot. I was actually surprised my DS wasn't allergic, since my younger DS has many allergies to both food and environmental things. We are looking into allergy shots for my youngest because his is causing his asthma to get worse. The best thing I think I did for my kids was getting a great allergist.