Menu

Wii struggling to stream Netflix?

Tap

We have a Wii in the living room and it seems to be having a hard time lately streaming Neflix or Amazon Instant .  It acts like it is going to play a movie, gets about 25% of the way through the bar (downloading maybe?) but then stops saying that it can't play at this time.  I can pick up dds tablet, log in to Netflix and play it just fine in the same room, so I don't think it  has to do with location to the wireless or Netflix. Laptops play it fine, and so does the DVD player with internet access in the other room...just the Wii is struggling. I don't think it is the internet connection either.  There are many times that dh and I are watching movies at the same time in different rooms.  One movie will be playing fine on the DVD w internet, but whoever is on the Wii constantly has connection issues. 

The kids can still easly play games on it, even ones connected to the internet. It doesn't seem to have any other issues. 

Any ideas if this can be fixed? Could it just be showing its age?  It was bought the first Christmas they were out for sale. 

I am thinking of buying a new DVD player for this room, just so we don't need to use the Wii in this room, but honestly I hate to spend the money if I don't have to. 

Power down your roku

If you still have a problem, do a factory reset (make sure you have your passwords on hand... WiFi, Roku.com, Netflix, etc.).

If that doesn't work, call Netflix and see if they can give you an idea how much bandwidth is showing up as available to them

If that sounds strange, next step is the internet provider

Is it a Wii U?  Ours has trouble as well.  I read online that for some reason the Wii U struggles with streaming compared to the Wii.  It doesn't help that our router is so far away.  We got a wi-fi booster.  A friend had one sitting around and gave it to us.  It has helped.  We still have more issues than we did with the Wii (or our Roku) but it's much better. 

Does your Wii have the latest updates for itself as well as the Netflix app?

Ours does that from time to time as well. Check and see if it needs a software update - that usually fixes it.

It automatically updates.  I ran a check as well, and it says it has the most current update. 

Is it a Wii U?  Ours has trouble as well.  I read online that for some reason the Wii U struggles with streaming compared to the Wii.  It doesn't help that our router is so far away.  We got a wi-fi booster.  A friend had one sitting around and gave it to us.  It has helped.  We still have more issues than we did with the Wii (or our Roku) but it's much better. 

Not Wii U, original Wii system.

We go thru times that our Wii acts up too. Sometimes we have to do a reprogram and it helps. Recently my son installed a booster and so far its helping. At times we have shut down the computer so as not to tax the system. I have heard Wii are prone to misbehaving when it comes to Netflix. Sigh. Someday we will get a DVD player with Netflix in it. Our kiddoes who have this don't seem to have the issues we do.

We have a Wii in the living room and it seems to be having a hard time lately streaming Neflix or Amazon Instant .  It acts like it is going to play a movie, gets about 25% of the way through the bar (downloading maybe?) but then stops saying that it can't play at this time.  I can pick up dds tablet, log in to Netflix and play it just fine in the same room, so I don't think it  has to do with location to the wireless or Netflix. Laptops play it fine, and so does the DVD player with internet access in the other room...just the Wii is struggling. I don't think it is the internet connection either.  There are many times that dh and I are watching movies at the same time in different rooms.  One movie will be playing fine on the DVD w internet, but whoever is on the Wii constantly has connection issues. 

The kids can still easly play games on it, even ones connected to the internet. It doesn't seem to have any other issues. 

Any ideas if this can be fixed? Could it just be showing its age?  It was bought the first Christmas they were out for sale. 

I am thinking of buying a new DVD player for this room, just so we don't need to use the Wii in this room, but honestly I hate to spend the money if I don't have to. 

Is there any other equipment near it?  We had the same problem and realized something else (I think it was the little box that gives us regular tv reception) was interfering with it.  When I moved them some distance apart, problem solved.

Is there any other equipment near it?  We had the same problem and realized something else (I think it was the little box that gives us regular tv reception) was interfering with it.  When I moved them some distance apart, problem solved.

Good thought but no.  Just the Wii, stereo and cable box (turned off) and dvd (turned off).  TV is connected to internet via the wall, not wireless.