Menu

Holy Canoly, is Chalkdust math really worth the price?

Keep in mind that it retains its value and is easy to resell or reuse for multiple children, as nothing is consumable.  And if you buy it directly from CD, and there is a problem with the DVD, they ship you a new one ASAP, no questions asked.  We have used everything from pre-algebra to calculus and the SAT math review to boot.  I sold pre-algebra and Algebra I eons ago, thinking there is no way we would still be homeschooling.  Wish I had held on to them!  I am looking forward to my middle daughter's using CD geometry this coming year.

My freshman daughter took AP Calc BC as a HS freshman after using CD all the way through, and it was a breeze for her.  Yes, she is smart, but lots of kids are smart and don't breeze through Calc BC as freshmen.  

My ds's experience is almost identical to that of plansrme's daughter.

We used Chalkdust from Pre-Algebra through Pre-Calc. My son entered a charter school halfway through 8th grade. Mostly because he was so accelerated in math, he was bumped up to grade 9 at that time. His sophomore year (what would have been his freshman year had he not been grade-skipped) he took BC Calculus and made a solid A and a 5 on the AP exam. Chalkdust laid a fantastic foundation for him. Dana Mosely's teaching is excellent. We always ordered directly through their site and had on-line support.

IMO, if you find just the right course that fits your student, it is usually worth the price.

That said, though, we did not find that CD was worth the price for us. We tried the geometry with DS#2 (my math whiz) and he hated it. Maybe it was the subject, maybe the presentation? He also did not do well with Life of Fred Geometry. Harold Jacobs got the job done :) Even though we moved him through 3 different texts, he hasn't suffered from it. He's gotten A's through Calc 4 and Differential Equations in college. So...my advice is find the right program, then fork over the $$$ :) Have you and your student viewed any sample lessons for CD? I'd suggest that before purchasing it.

I bought a previous edition (DVD but not the most current one) of CD Geometry at Half Price Books for about $60.  We have not used it, but I could not turn it away at that price.  I eyed it for about a month every time I went until we hit a 20% off store-wide sale, and I grabbed it up then. 

Keep in mind that it retains its value and is easy to resell

It depends on the market.  No one in my area uses CD.  I have a set that I have tried to give away and no one around here wants it.

I even offered it here but since I have never sold anything on TWTM I didn't get any takers.

It's a shame really.  It's actually in the box to go to Goodwill.  :(

It depends on the market. No one in my area uses CD. I have a set that I have tried to give away and no one around here wants it.

I even offered it here but since I have never sold anything on TWTM I didn't get any takers.

It's a shame really. It's actually in the box to go to Goodwill. :(

You should try again, sometimes it's just timing. :)