Menu

My most dorky homeschool question yet

helena

:D

If you were going to give your homeschool a name based on Lord of the Rings/Hobbit books, what would you consider? :)

I'm pretty sure I have the name already, it's a great fit and sounds good. I just have to consider it though... my kids are begging me to come up with some LotR options.

Our classroom vibe is a nice fit for it actually. 

We were Weathertop Academy when my big boys were littler boys. The toddler at the time was enrolled in our Prancing Pony Preschool.

May I ask why you changed it? My main concern is if I ought to choose an academic sounding/looking name.

Rivendell Academy

The Shire School (sounds like a snooty private school)

Bag End School for the Vertically Challenged and Perpetually Famished

(Our school name has the word "Acres" in it, a nod to A. A. Milne, but I can totally see having used something LotR-ish instead!)

May I ask why you changed it? My main concern is if I ought to choose an academic sounding/looking name.

It didn't look academic enough on a high school transcript, to me. Also, the focus of their school really changed. Even though we homeschool, there's a marked difference in our home between how hs'ing looks for the younger children vs. the elder. So the elementary school name reflects great children's literature, fancy/fantasy, and independence that were so treasured during the earlier years, but the high school name looks good on a transcript and reflects the mature goals and focus of these final years of homeschooling.

It didn't look academic enough on a high school transcript, to me. Also, the focus of their school really changed. Even though we homeschool, there's a marked difference in our home between how hs'ing looks for the younger children vs. the elder. So the elementary school name reflects great children's literature, fancy/fantasy, and independence that were so treasured during the earlier years, but the high school name looks good on a transcript and reflects the mature goals and focus of these final years of homeschooling.

Well, but spelled out like this the reasoning looks a little poncy and stuffy. :/ I don't mean to say that we stopped valuing the good stuff that we loved when they were little. The high school name has more of a religious and academic feel but we still love LOTR!