Menu

Getting enough exercise without sports?

My son just isn't into sports. Our whole family loves to walk abd swim but the extreme commitment to sports isnt our thing anyway. my don enjoyed the local PE type class a lot but that came to an end and now we are moving.

My son is 11.5 and well, he's getting heavy. We have changed diet, cut back on carbs and replaced all snacks with only fruits and veggies. (We never ate much junk to begin with though.) We do NOT eat out and I cook home made low fat foods every night. Plenty of veggies abd lean meat/legumes. We have a fairly healthy diet, no soda, no juice, no junk and only eat dessert a few times per month.

Meanwhile I've noticed that my son is also out of shape. We have started doing Laps every time we visit the pool and that helps...

We are moving to an amazing climate where being outdoors is actually nice (we hate south florida summers!!!)

I'm thinking about swim lessons again but maybe just swimming for fun with the kids at the local pool and old fashioned playing outside will be enough. Our new neighborhood has tons of kids. (Zero kids where we are now!)

How do your non sports kids get enough exercise? Do you think I should hold off enrolling in a sport and see if the new neighborhood, pool and climate do the trick?

Yes, I would get a lay of the land first before jumping right into organized sports. Check out the pool and look into free times available for swimming as well as more advanced swim lessons working on endurance (longer swims). Then take a look a walking/hiking options in the vicinity. We aren't into organized sports either but do enjoy classes (swimming, gymnastics, etc...), hiking and they play outdoors with other kids. For ds11 I also have him jog with me at least once a week.

In terms of food we limit their sugar intake big time (no sodas, junk food) and snacking throughout the day. They get one small sweet treat after dinner and no other food until the next day. We also don't allow free access to food items beyond afternoon snack. This seems to be enough to keep them trim and cavity free.

Walk, walk walk. It's the best exercise! Kids don't put on weight for lack of exercise, though it is fantastic for them mind, body, and spirit, it's from the wrong food. Your new area sound perfect for getting him some incidental exercise. It's a lot more fun to exercise when you are having fun!

What strikes me from what you have written is the low fat meals. We have been told that low fat is best, but it isn't. Good fats like coconut oil, animal fats are needed by the body, and brain to function. Also low fat leaves you hungry, and your son may be overeating because his brain is craving fat. I you want to know more about why fat, the right fat, is good just yell!

Well he gets plenty of fat because I actually do not believe in the old 80's low fat scheme. When I say low fat I just mean that we are not eating McDonald's, or that type of junk. He eats a lot of almonds, Sunbutter. Almond Butter and we eat a lot of meat...

Honestly I know what you mean...the whole no-fat thing is wrong.

But it can't just be food...my son really eats fairly well. I really think it's lack of exercise

Walk, walk walk. It's the best exercise! Kids don't put on weight for lack of exercise, though it is fantastic for them mind, body, and spirit, it's from the wrong food. Your new area sound perfect for getting him some incidental exercise. It's a lot more fun to exercise when you are having fun!

What strikes me from what you have written is the low fat meals. We have been told that low fat is best, but it isn't. Good fats like coconut oil, animal fats are needed by the body, and brain to function. Also low fat leaves you hungry, and your son may be overeating because his brain is craving fat. I you want to know more about why fat, the right fat, is good just yell!

We did the low fat thing for a long time and ate far too many carbs while never really feeling full for very long. Dw has now incorporated more healthy fats including coconut oil. She's doing a paleo diet and we're going along for the ride. She is also limiting the time during the day in which we eat, especially at night. That's one of my challenges/weakness - snacking too late before bed.

Most boys get a bit chubby right before puberty hits. Both of my boys did, and most of their cousins, friends and others they knew.

Walking, long walks, do a lot of good. I had an MD a few years back that said humans were designed to walk.

I used to send my boys out for a walk every morning after morning worship, before we started math. We were living in the northeast and those freezing snowy walks woke them RIGHT up. :lol:

My oldest really struggled with his weight. He lost a significant amount of weight when he went out to work at 14, and then lost about 50 pounds when he moved to Las Vegas at 19 and didn't have a car. All that bike riding through the desert melted that fat right off him. He only wears a medium now and wore an XL at 14. He is married, owns a car and a house now at 26, and struggles to keep that weight off now, that things are all comfy. He eating healthier, but not walking and riding a bike every day.

I walk a LOT. I'm 46 and in far better shape than I was in my 30s. I walk a few miles a day. I have no car and have to carry EVERYTHING I need on my back. I can carry half my bodyweight for a couple miles, but I really struggle to run with that much weight.

I've had people who work out in gyms insist I'm lying when I say that all I do is walk and carry groceries and library books.

Just have him walk and work. Seriously. As my MD said, that is what humans are designed to do.

Well he gets plenty of fat because I actually do not believe in the old 80's low fat scheme. When I say low fat I just mean that we are not eating McDonald's, or that type of junk. He eats a lot of almonds, Sunbutter. Almond Butter and we eat a lot of meat...

But it can't just be food...my son really eats fairly well. I really think it's lack of exercise

Good for you! Nuts are amazing for you, but you should watch them if there are weight issues. A small hand full at most a day. Nut spreads are lethal for weight gain. Maybe limit them for a while?

I think there is a good chance its a combo of both. Even vegetarians can get heavy if they eat too much and don't exercise. I also think some kids have a disposition to gain weight easier than others. Honestly, ds11 eats huge portions as he gets older. But yet he seems to burn it right off whereas my wife and I have to work harder at it watching portion sizes more.

We did the low fat thing for a long time and ate far too many carbs while never really feeling full for very long. Dw has now incorporated more healthy fats including coconut oil. She's doing a paleo diet and we're going along for the ride. She is also limiting the time during the day in which we eat, especially at night. That's one of my challenges/weakness - snacking too late before bed.

We are paleo here too. Snacking before bed is a killer for your weight and your hormones!

Well for breakfast he has whole grain GF oats and 2% milk, or buckwheat and milk, or 3x per week GF Chex (white carbs not healthy), banana and milk.

Lunch is either leftovers or sunbutter and jelly and fruit.

Snacks include cheese (5 slices while fat allowed per day), non fat Greek yogurt or fruit

Dinner is home made with lots if veggies, variety, meat, etc. lots of salads on the side...beans several times per week with the meat, a good roast several times per month, steaks now and then. Honestly other than the Chex for breakfast 3x per week I can't see what's wrong. ??

Well for breakfast he has whole grain GF oats and 2% milk, or buckwheat and milk, or 3x per week GF Chex (white carbs not healthy), banana and milk.

Snacks include cheese (5 slices while fat allowed per day), non fat Greek yogurt or fruit

Dinner is home made with lots if veggies, variety, meat, etc. lots of salads on the side...beans several times per week with the meat, a good roast several times per month, steaks now and then. Honestly other than the Chex for breakfast 3x per week I can't see what's wrong. ??

Yes, I agree. Unless he's consuming too large of portions his metabolism could be too slow due to inactivity or other factors. I would continue with your original plan when you move and just get more active. Then re-evaluate if things don't improve.

BTW, I like IrishMum's idea of adding some protein for breakfast and cutting back on some of those carbs, especially the cereals (GF Chex, etc...) which aren't helping him.

Calming Tea, If I was you I would change his diet up, maybe just try it for a couple of months. I would like to see him eat protein with every meal. Lots of protein and good fats. So eggs and bacon for breakfast, leftovers for lunch is exactly what we do, and like you are doing a good dinner of meat and veggies. I would cut out the sunbutter for a while, to see if it makes a difference. Some of us, me included, are predisposed to gain easily, and we need to be more careful with what we eat.

Your change of location sounds fantastic, and it might be all he needs to lose those few extra lbs.

Hmmm maybe I should take a look at the sunbutter calories. Cause he eats a ton of that stuff. And like Derek said, maybe it's an Amount issue...not necessarily the wrong foods so much.

Yeah, I could eat that stuff by the spoon straight out of the jar, and eat my weekly calories in one sitting! Dangerous stuff, but so delicious.

Let us know how you go :)

Thanks Irishmom,

Can't go the bacon route- he had high cholesterol last year because of his love affair with eggs and cheese. :) I gotta watch that. But maybe I should make sure he has more fat and protein at breakfast- maybe that will satisfy him better and then he will naturally eat less at lunch.

I don't think he consumes vast amounts of food really. I have a high metabolism and he is 4'11 and weights 105 and I'm 5'2 and weigh 120 and I consume 3x as much food as he does. I eat as much or more than my 210lb husband.

Which just proves that everyone is different.

I'll see about that protein for breakfast and cutting back on the sunbutter love affair.

Thanks Irishmom,

Can't go the bacon route- he had high cholesterol last year because of his love affair with eggs and cheese. :) I gotta watch that. But maybe I should make sure he has more fat and protein at breakfast- maybe that will satisfy him better and then he will naturally eat less at lunch.

I don't think he consumes vast amounts of food really. I have a high metabolism and he is 4'11 and weights 105 and I'm 5'2 and weigh 120 and I consume 3x as much food as he does. I eat as much or more than my 210lb husband.

Which just proves that everyone is different.

I'll see about that protein for breakfast and cutting back on the sunbutter love affair.

You have nothing to lose in trying, just maybe a few lbs ;)

I would love you to read this on cholesterol. :)

I suggest portion control and many small and healthy meals a day. A lot of the healthy options that we choose really have a ton of calories - I read the calorie content of salad dressing, nut butters, nut bars, yoghurt cups etc before purchasing because I have gained weight in the past while eating healthy. I also suggest to finish eating 2-3 hours before bedtime - it really helps you in metabolizing the food and preventing weight gain.

And for the non-sporty types, a high quality Tae kwon Do school that trains kids rigorously (which means 3-4 evenings a week) or a year round swim program or a home gym with treadmill/elliptical trainers or just biking outdoors a few miles a day would help a lot.

I was just thinking today that I'm so glad we let our kids drop sports. Now that they are older they have so many active interests they actually enjoy as opposed to being forced to do something they really didn't like. We don't eat as conscientiously as the posters in this thread but they are fine in weight and physical fitness.

For fitness

- my 14 year old is working with a friend to train for a 5k, with a long term goal of doing a mini triathlon.

- we live in a pedestrian friendly area and we walk everywhere

- we go hiking a fair amount

- the boys ride bikes and razor scooter around whenever the weather is decent

- we swim during our brief summer

- they are taking tennis lessons and will hit balls to each other (can't really call it playing)

- they've just gotten interested in golf at the local public course - hitting a bucket of balls

- my husband is showing my older son a bit about weight training

And so on. Better for us since it is interest led.

My kids haven't been into organized group sports. We bike a lot as a family and we encourage them to bike around the neighborhood, so that helps in the spring-fall. Mine are still young enough for the indoor playgrounds in the winter (although they're too pricey to go often) but I think I'll have to get my oldest to hang out in the pool at the Y while I exercise once he ages out of the daycare with its play area.

I've thought about karate for my clutzy middle son but it's such a time commitment. I almost signed my 9 year old up for the homeschool indoor rockclimbing team until he put up a fuss. That was 2 hrs on Friday afternoons and I would have brought the younger kids to the Y while he was there.

We dislike organized sports, but we get plenty of exercise. When the kids were younger, we hiked every weekend together, went rock climbing and hiking in the mountains in the summers. Bike rides are another good family activity. We found the best way to get kids to be active is to be active together as a family.

Another easy way is to incorporate physical activity into daily life by walking and biking for errands. We walked to school every day before they were homeschooled. When my kids were your son's age, I still took them to the park every day for a few hours. But I personally found that just playing at the park is not sufficient exercise for growing boys; they need to exert themselves a bit more and get their energy out. It always surprised me how much physical activity my kids required to be truly tired. Walking on the neighborhood trail did nothing; he needed 8+ mile hikes or high mountains.

If he just dislikes team sports, but would be open to organized activities: rock climbing, horseback riding, and martial arts are excellent individual sports and good ways to get in shape. My DS has started TKD a year ago, an it really is a heavy workout.

While sports suit some people they tend to be dropped once school is left anyway. A martial art or hiking or something however can be a long term thing. Just pick up a martial art that is widespread and fairly consistent. It is a pain having to start at the beginning every time you move because every place you go to has a different style. (that may be a NZ thing but after the third move and having to start as a white belt in the 3rd style of karate I gave up.

While sports suit some people they tend to be dropped once school is left anyway. A martial art or hiking or something however can be a long term thing. Just pick up a martial art that is widespread and fairly consistent. It is a pain having to start at the beginning every time you move because every place you go to has a different style. (that may be a NZ thing but after the third move and having to start as a white belt in the 3rd style of karate I gave up.

I agree with finding something that can be enjoyed for years to come like hiking, backpacking, running, swimming, mountain biking, tennis, etc...

Another consideration may be Boy Scouts if you have a good troop in your new location.

I'd get hm on a team and/or take up some form(s) of vigorous (and regular) exercise. Beng out of shape at 11 is setting up a child for a lifetime of future health problems.

And sorry, but eating lots of bacon ain't going to solve the problem of beng sedentary, and the ill heath that inevitably flows from that lifestyle choice. The boy needs to move.

Bill

When my youngest got chubby pre-puberty, after being underweight since being a baby, It was cheese and drinking calories (juice and milk) instead of water that were the key culprits. He started putting weight on about two years before puberty, and it reached a real problem--or so I thought at the time--about 6 months before puberty hit full force. Six months after it hit, he was underweight again and a half a foot taller. He stayed underweight until he was 19 and I divorced his dad, and started eating primarily at McDonalds and his grandparent's.

And sorry, but eating lots of bacon ain't going to solve the problem of beng sedentary, and the ill heath that inevitably flows from that lifestyle choice. The boy needs to move.

Bill

Haha, wouldn't it be great if bacon was the cure from everything? I would never be sick!!

Something others have not mentioned, but is not always popular, is WiiFit or the Kinect.

I'll agree- our Kinect has some great active games that are perfect for us when the weather's not great for being outside.

Also I'll agree with those who said probably portion size is the thing to watch as his food choices seem good. And walking/hiking/jogging, biking, swimming sound like perfect things to involve him with if you're not already into sports. Those are activities you can enjoy your whole life and don't need to have a full team of players to participate in. Also coming from someone who was never good at team sports, if you're not great at that kind of thing you're probably not going to get much exercise at it anyway (just thinking back to my experiences with soccer, basketball, etc.).

We are a cycling family and I think bike riding is an excellent choice for a kid that age. It's also a great family activity. If he doesn't already have a bike, go to a bike shop or REI and get advice. Avoid department store bikes if at all possible - they are heavy, have poor geometry, and break easily. See if there are any bike trails in your area - I gradually worked my son up to 15 miles on his bike by parking close to the end of a trail (which terminates at the beach) and gradually parking further away each week.

We also do swimming, skiing, rock climbing, hiking, and fitness classes. Instead of swim lessons this summer we got passes to our community water park and DH makes sure he spends a good amount of time actually swimming in the pool before hitting the slides. An hour there wears him the heck out.

We eat lower carb, but I agree that bacon isn't going to solve anything. Portion size is probably key as well as cutting out anything processed, maybe even the sunbutter. I loathe cold cereals - highly processed, carby, and expensive. Sugar and white carbs are usually the biggest factor in high cholesterol not fat, so I would make sure there is no juice or anything in his diet that you are missing.

So a lot of posters on this thread think that an 11 yo who has a few extra pounds and has high cholesterol and mostly eats meat, dairy, and fruit needs to eat more fats.

I do not think lack of fats, or needing to switch out sun butter for bacon and coconut oil, is the problem. Maybe check into some alternative ideas, like more fruits and vegetables for snacks, adding vegetables to lunch and breakfast, losing the cheese. No drinking of calories. And yeah, if someone finds a way to keep the kids from ever getting into the nut butter with a spoon, let me know. I do discourage that, too.

And heavy exercise. Not even because of weight, but just because they need it. I find it difficult to help my boys get enough exercise during seasons when they aren't doing a sport. It seemed like all of a sudden at 10-11 no one is just "going out to play" anymore, and even when they do, it's not really enough. There is so much energy to burn there.

Good for you! Nuts are amazing for you, but you should watch them if there are weight issues. A small hand full at most a day. Nut spreads are lethal for weight gain. Maybe limit them for a while?

I agree with you. I eat relatively low-carb for blood sugar reasons. When I start gaining weight, all I need to do is cut back on nuts. Handfuls add up REALLY fast. Also, some of the nut butters have sugar. Make sure his carb portions (rice, pasta, etc) are not too large, too.

1) One of the local school systems distributed heart monitors to the kids with the gym assignment of getting their heart rates up for a certain amount each day (30 minutes?) In this way, the kids could monitor how hard they were working, and they took responsibility for their exercise. A child may choose jump roping one day, biking another, and tossing around a frisby the third.

2) Some of the new exercise research suggests that when you exercise, the benefits continue for 24 hours. It's as if when you exercise today (for a half hour), your body forgets that you are not exercising continuously, and your metabolism is pumped up for the rest of the day. This is extra incentive to exercise EVERY DAY.

ETA:

3) If your family is willing to make the commitment, and your son is interested, start looking for 5K run/walks or local bike rides for which to participate or train.

For bike rides, google: "[your state] bike ride", and you should find a website that has all of the organized rides listed. Our state has:

Brr (in February in Iowa...the Bike Ride to Rippey)

Best Dam Bike Ride (ride to the dam and back)

2X4 Ride (2 states, four counties, all in a morning!)

There are fun 5 and 10K races in our area, too, although I don't know how to get hooked into them, except to go and get on a mailing list. One of my friends has recently participated in:

Jingle Bell Run (everyone wears Santa hats and runs in December)

Glow Run (after dark, and everyone wears glow necklaces and other jewelry)

Turkey Run (out in the wilderness; you WILL get wet, you WILL get muddy, you WILL get cold, you may even lose a shoe!)

Donut Run (free donut stops along the way; for every donut you eat, one minute is taken off your time!)

Maybe it is the pre-puberty pudgy stage?

I would ask MIL if it is something kids have on your husband's side.

It is a thing on my side but not my husband's. On his side apparently kids get really gawky with long legs.

No major acne, though. That is a plus.

We started doing CrossFit as a family. My 11.5 yo son shed 10 pounds very quickly. He absolutely loves it--it gives him the opportunity to move and push himself, learn how to lift weights and swing kettlebells and do pull-ups, but he isn't forced to compete or to be on a team, though there are opportunities for that should he eventually want to. Even my 8yo dd does it. We all can relate to having to work hard in a work out, and it has drawn us closer as a family. I am not a sports mom, either, but this. is. fun.

We eat a paleo-style diet, which has helped all of us to become more lean, but the diet includes a lot of fat, protein, nuts and vegetables.

I don't necessarily think all boys get pudgy before puberty, if they are active. If they are eating right and active, they shouldn't be fat.