Menu

In case you were also wishing Rick Riordan would write a Norse Mythology series.....

kentuckymom

..... he didn't, but someone else has. Apparently the first book just came out recently. I found it at the bookstore when we were there for toddler storytime this morning and couldn't resist getting it. The series is called The Blackwell Pages and the first book is Loki's Wolves.It's written by K.L. Armstrong and M.A. Marr. I haven't opened it yet so I can't review it, but I have high hopes.

What age level is it for? My oldest loves LOVES Norse mythology. Please let us know what you thought of it! :)

It was in the Middle Grade section. The main character seems to be about 12. I'm guessing any child old enough for Percy Jackson would enjoy it, and older kids (and grownups) who love Norse Mythology would probably love it too. After all, I'm nowhere near middle grade age :).

So I just finished LOKI'S WOLVES. I really enjoyed it. It has a pretty different feel from the Percy Jackson books. Some tidbits that won't spoil the story are:

1) The Norse gods are dead, but their descendants live on.

2) Said descendants are particularly concentrated in South Dakota.

3) Some of them know about their ancestry and some of them don't.

4) All of them have some kind of power because of their ancestry.

5) Ragnaroek, the end of the world, is coming, and one particular descendant of each god or goddess must stand in their place to fight the monsters.

6) It's the job of the three protagonists (two descendants of Loki and one descendant of Thor) to find them and form them into a cohesive team.

Because of the kids being descendants of the gods and not children of the gods, it reminded me more of the Kane Chronicles than the Percy Jackson books. There's also a much greater immediacy to what the kids are doing. Percy Jackson fights part of his battle every summer and then goes home. I have a feeling these books will take place over a much shorter time period, just as the Kane Chronicles did.

My only problem now is that it will presumably be at least a year before the next book comes out. I'm going to have to read Myths of the Norsemen just so I can get some more Norse mythology :).

Finally, I just loved that the book takes place in South Dakota. It's not that I have any particular connection to South Dakota, it's just that mythological adventure stories aren't usually set there, so I think it's cool.

P.S. For any Norse mythology buffs, no, Thor's and Loki's descendants are not best buddies from the beginning. The book does address the whole "Loki leading the monsters at Ragnaroek" issue :).

• 2 weeks later...

..... he didn't, but someone else has. Apparently the first book just came out recently. I found it at the bookstore when we were there for toddler storytime this morning and couldn't resist getting it. The series is called The Blackwell Pages and the first book is Loki's Wolves.It's written by K.L. Armstrong and M.A. Marr. I haven't opened it yet so I can't review it, but I have high hopes.

thanks for the suggestion. dd 15 just finished it and loved it! hoping for more, soon.

ann

• 3 weeks later...

My ds 9 recently discovered Loki's Wolves at our local bookstore.  He had it & another book picked out & he had to only choose 1, he chose Loki's Wolves.  He's currently reading it, a Warriors book, & poking around in Gareth Hinds Odyssey.  See why he had to only pick one?

He said it's really good :).