Menu

Crafter help needed - resusable waterproof bed pads

jenn-

I am getting desperate with my 7 yo and his inability to stay dry overnight. His brothers went through it as well, but they never soaked the entire overnight pull up, their pjs, bedding, mattress pad (which apparently had cracks in the lining on the back), and their bed itself. I am thinking of trying to make some reusable pads to put on top of his bed as even more protection. I bought some PUL (polyurethane lined) fabric last night, but I am trying to decide what to layer on top of it. I have towel material, fleece, flannel, and cotton all on hand. How many layers do you think I should do and in what order? Do I face the PUL fabric so that the polyurethane is facing the inside and the soft side out? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

You might try a combo of fabrics. I'd run a few small tests with a quilt-block sized prototype and a glass of warm water.

Double make the bed once you find the right dry-pad. That way you or he can just strip the top layer of bedding and have a dry set already on the bed for the night.

This --- get a 50% off coupon and get several yards to fit the entire bed, Great stuff

Yep this stuff works, but it also shrinks a bit.

Pul will also work as it is used for cloth diaper covers. I found the most absorbent fabric is hemp fleece (I made my own cloth diapers). I usually buy from this company with very good results http://www.verybaby.com/hemp-fleece/. This stuff is thick and takes about 2-3 layers for the best absorbency (based on how much your son seems to soak through, I would go with 3). If you went with the 3 layers, he would probably be able to wet without a pullup and it still wouldn't soak through. It can be scratchy at first, so put a layer of flannel on top and that would be nice and soft. If you are going to place it under his sheet, you dont have to worry about the flannel layer. Also most PUL is a knit and the hemp fleece is also a knit, so you just have to sew through the three-four layers without worrying about the edges, they wont fray. You may need to make 2-3 of them as they are slow to dry.

I would put the poly facing inward so it doesn't slide off the bed, slide around as much. I vote for toweling, it seems the most absorbant. The fleece I have worked with isn't absorbant at all.

That's what I was thinking as well. Most of the fleece I have seems to almost repel water.

You might try a combo of fabrics. I'd run a few small tests with a quilt-block sized prototype and a glass of warm water.

Double make the bed once you find the right dry-pad. That way you or he can just strip the top layer of bedding and have a dry set already on the bed for the night.

Hmm... Maybe I can do some stacked but not sewn prototypes. I think I just barely have enough of the PUL to make 4 of them.

I hope by adding this pad to the top of the sheets, then we can just change the pad everyday instead of the whole bed. He does not wake up to the wet bed.

My friend was able to buy a covered plastic pad (very similar to my crib pad) by the yard at a medical equipment store. I did not know you could buy it.

I would use either towels or fleece.

I don't know where a medical supply store is around here. I will definitely check it out if this doesn't work out though.

This is what I use on ds bed

http://www.joann.com...zprd_01491315a/

I may have to go snag some of this if his plastic bed sheet rips again. I am sick and tired of having to replace them (some little boys are having a hard time remembering not to jump on this particular bed).

this is what i bought and what we use. My son has accidents often and so it gets washed lots. It doesn't slip and slide hardly at all. Holds lots of moisture. It's not stiff or crinkly. It's just a super duper pad. LOVE it. http://www.amazon.co...bxgy_hpc_text_y

That's exactly the item I am trying to replicate for less.

Yep this stuff works, but it also shrinks a bit.

Pul will also work as it is used for cloth diaper covers. I found the most absorbent fabric is hemp fleece (I made my own cloth diapers). I usually buy from this company with very good results http://www.verybaby.com/hemp-fleece/. This stuff is thick and takes about 2-3 layers for the best absorbency (based on how much your son seems to soak through, I would go with 3). If you went with the 3 layers, he would probably be able to wet without a pullup and it still wouldn't soak through. It can be scratchy at first, so put a layer of flannel on top and that would be nice and soft. If you are going to place it under his sheet, you dont have to worry about the flannel layer. Also most PUL is a knit and the hemp fleece is also a knit, so you just have to sew through the three-four layers without worrying about the edges, they wont fray. You may need to make 2-3 of them as they are slow to dry.

I wonder if Joann's or Hobby Lobby would have hemp fleece. I'm not sure I am patient enough to order online stuff. Should I avoid machine drying them?

I would put terry in the middle, the shiny side of the PUL in so it doesn't slip, and fleece for the top layer, because it will wick the moisture away. Basically the same principle as a cloth diaper.

And as far as barrier mattress pads, the ones from IKEA work and hold up really well.

I doubt they will have it. I know my Joanns has birdseye and flannel in the diaper making area, but with those you have to do a thicker sandwich (more layers). The delivery time is usually pretty quick at the place I linked.

You can dry it, but make sure you wash it before cutting and dry it in the machine so that you preshrink it. Also, when you dry thick fabric like this in a dryer (or a thick layer of thinner fabrics) they often feel warm and dry on the outside, but the inside is still wet. If you do not dry completely they will mold in the center. One easy way to tell is to grab the center and squeeze it. If you feel moisture, it is not dry enough. I usually dry my diapers in one cycle to get them mostly dry and then hang dry to finish it out. You do not have to do that though.

Maybe you could get crafty and sew the only top and bottom of the pad layers together and then the air can flow more freely in the dryer through the unseamed sides and cut the drying time. If they started to roll up off the PUL you could always sew a button/button holes or two on each side that you can unbutton to dry or something...just thinking out loud.

I've decided on a flannel top followed up by two layers of terry cloth (which is very light feeling to me), then a layer of fleece, and finally the PUL fabric shiny side in. Now I just have to pin all of it together and beat caress my serger into working.

I know you didn't ask, but I'll answer anyway. Lol.

If he's leaking through standard pull ups, you should try some higher fitting medical pull ups. We currently use Dry Times and they're decent.

Going up a size might be needed as well, even if he fits the weight of the current pull up.

Boys tend to pee right out of the top of the low cut type like good nights and most other pull ups.

I've considered doing the medical grade things, but I just cannot bring myself to do it. We did go up a size on the overnights, but he is still filling them up. I might have to break down and try the Dry Times. Where do you get them from?

I beat the serger into use. One day I will learn to just rethread the entire machine before starting no matter how right it looks. It worked perfectly for the test strip and then for about 6 inches into the pad before it remembered it hadn't been a pain yet and the thread popped. After a complete rethreading, it went fine.

The switch to medical really wasn't bad. You can get them (or order through) a pharmacy that carries medical supplies, or online.

Tranquility all through the night pull ups are awesome, but not covered by our insurance.

You could also get some pads (like depends) and try putting them horizontal across the belly. That could work for a bit.

I don't know if this will work for your older child, but with my three year old I just use shower curtains from the dollar store. I layer shower curtain, towel folded in half, fitted sheet, shower curtain, towel, fitted sheet. That way if he has an accident in the middle of the night, we just strip off one set and we're good to go. He doesn't wear a pull up and he never soaks through more than one layer.

My 8yo has a brolly sheet cover on his bed http://www.brollysheetsusa.com/ . They hold A TON. But what makes them work so well are the wings that tuck under the mattress so that it doesn't slide around at night. So when making yours I would definitely look into putting wings on it.

Terry usually works well. But prewash a few times on HOT and dry on HOT before sewing together on top of the PUL. I also find that hemp material works really well (used to use it in diapers). Whatever you put on for the soaker layer, put a layer of soft cotton or flannel on top and then he can sleep right on the pad. Then you don't have to change the sheets, just the pad.