Menu

If I haven't seen any superhero movies ...

Iskra

Which ones can I watch with the kids (ages 8 and 6) and in what order (for ex. I'd rather watch Spider-man 2 after Spider-man 1, not before)? Please provide me with links for the movies you mention, as there are many different versions of movie that all have the same titles.

My 4 year old son's first superhero movie was The Avengers. We hadn't planned on him seeing it, it was at a drive in double feature and we assumed that he'd be asleep. He was thoroughly spell-bound the entire time. I tend to be a little more conservative than my DH about movies and other than some over-the-top really loud action sequences, I didn't have any problems with it.

I liked Spiderman 1 okay, I don't even remember anything from Spiderman 2. We just watched Thor last night and I would let the kids watch it, there's a bit of cheesy romance in it, but nothing too scary. I really like the 1970's Superman but it might be a bit dated and slow to kids these days.

Yep, we like Thor, Captain America, and Avengers (that would be a good order to watch). We've also seen Spiderman and Superman (old one). I won't let mine watch Iron Man yet (similar ages as yours) as it's quite a bit racier with more language.

If you want the order of the Marvel Movies it would be

Iron Man

The Incredible Hulk (you don't want the one that is just Hulk)

Iron Man 2,

Thor

Captain America

Avengers

Iron Man 3.

You may want to preview the Iron Man movies...I think they are more "grown up" than the other movies. You really don't *have to watch them in order, but there are small subtle things that you will notice and enjoy if you do. The Spiderman movies are not tied to the Avenger movies, so those you would just do on their own...but Spiderman 1-3 are Toby Mcquire movies, and the newest one "The Amazing Spiderman" is a complete reboot, so it does not go with the Toby Mcquire ones. I would not do the Batman series for little kids.

I just want to add...I know all of this, because my Dh and three older girls are obsessed with these movies @@

If you want the order of the Marvel Movies it would be

Iron Man

The Incredible Hulk (you don't want the one that is just Hulk)

Iron Man 2,

Thor

Captain America

Avengers

Iron Man 3.

You may want to preview the Iron Man movies...I think they are more "grown up" than the other movies. You really don't *have to watch them in order, but there are small subtle things that you will notice and enjoy if you do. The Spiderman movies are not tied to the Avenger movies, so those you would just do on their own...but Spiderman 1-3 are Toby Mcquire movies, and the newest one "The Amazing Spiderman" is a complete reboot, so it does not go with the Toby Mcquire ones. I would not do the Batman series for little kids.

I just want to add...I know all of this, because my Dh and three older girls are obsessed with these movies @@

We accidentally watched The Avengers when our boys had just turned 7 and 3 and then went back and watched the rest of the Marvel movies in order. I previewed the Iron Man movies and had DS look away during racy parts. We won't watch the third until I can do the same with it. I didn't preview the Incredible Hulk movie and did have to distract him during a bedroom scene that went on longer than I was comfortable with. Thor, Captain America, and Avengers I had no problem with both my boys seeing. We watched Avengers again after watching the others and I caught a lot more of what was going on this time.

We've also watched the first Spiderman and some of the original Superman movies and I was okay with them. I also won't do Batman movies.

The Tobey Maguire Spiderman movies were waaaaay too intense for my kids at that age. We had to turn the first one off partway through, totally exasperated with the woman who told dh that they'd be fine for our kids.

Same with Batman. We still avoid some of those.

I'd agree with Thor, Captain America and Avengers -- they'd probably be okay.

BTW, we saw Man of Steel a few days ago. Avoid it. This isn't age-related advice -- it was just a crummy movie.

For a more kid-centric take on superheroes, you might try Sky High, which is about a high school for teens with super powers.

For a more kid-centric take on superheroes, you might try Sky High, which is about a high school for teens with super powers.

My kids love that too. I forgot about it. They also really like The Incredibles. I agree that Spiderman is a bit scary too. It really depends on what you and your kids are comfortable with.

Dd just chimed in to say that the villain in Captain America -- Red Skull -- would have really frightened her a LOT when she was 6 or 8 years old. The fact that it's set in the 40s would've helped since that's more distant, so she wouldn't necessarily think that scary guy is out there right now. You might want to take a look at his character and ponder how your kids will react.

(Other dd pointed out that she probably would've gotten Red Skull confused with HItler, and been convinced that Hitler looked like that.)