Menu

Dance Moms can you help me with some market research?

Dancer_Mom

I am going to offer some dance classes for ages 6-18 (not all together) at our local community center. Community centers generally run classes in "sessions." Would you want A. 4 sessions of 4 weeks for $45 B. 3 sessions of 6 weeks for $60 C. 2 sessions of 8 weeks for $90 Obviously the price is the same but do parents have a preference for payment and/or commitment? I would want them to see some progress throughout a session but also think most people get that 4 weeks wouldn't turn your child into any kind of dancer and you would need to take the sessions continually to see results - yes? Thanks for any input.

Personally 6 weeks is my favorite amount...it allows enough time to give a real try but it also allows for vacations, other activities, and other needs that may arise. 4 weeks feels to short and 8 weeks would feel like I had to give a real commitment not knowing if my child would like it or not.

Please excuse that I am not a "dancer mom", but a "skater mom."

Your rec center may already have gymnastics or other dance classes. People might expect the same lengths for your new class.

The four-week session is a good idea for the "try it on, and see if you really like this activity" because not much money is invested.

The six-week session "feels" good to me for a summer activity. (How non-quantitative do you want your marketing research?!)

The eight-week session would be my preference because it is a royal pain to have re-enrollment costs always staring at me. (I actually like ten- or twelve-week, on that basis.)

Best wishes for your new class!

Six weeks feels about right to me. Three, back-to-back sessions that length are equivalent to a traditional semester, which feels nice and neat to me.

Four classes just doesn't seem like enough to do much. You'd spend the first class doing introductions and the last class wrapping up, meaning you'd really have only two full, regular sessions. And you may find that 10 weeks is too long a committment for newbies and casual students.

I like 4 weeks, but I don't see rec dance as a way to make my children dancers. I see it as a way to introduce them to dance and see if they like it. If I am just trying something out a shorter term is much more comfortable for me. But that is my bias from how our rec center does things. They don't do long term lessons. All of them are just a few weeks long. My DD took a dance class at the rec center when she was younger, and that was what made her want to take more lessons. When she decided she wanted to do more dance we went to a dance studio.

I definitely agree the rec center is a great place to get your feet wet so I think I am leaning towards 6 week sessions. There is a community center the suburb over that does 4, 4 week sessions and offers a 10% discount if you sign up for all four at the beginning of the Fall/Winter period. I thought that was an interesting idea as well. Any more thoughts? This is very helpful to me as my kids are still little and we haven't done any activities yet.

I'll vote with the six-weekers.

I have kids in other extracurriculars, so an 8-week commitment could interfere with that. We'd likely not sign up at all because we'd view the Rec Ctr classes as a fun, try-it-on thing, so any overlap with our chosen activities would render it not worthwhile.

I like the idea of 4 weeks for my own situation (see above), but I have friends who view the Rec Ctr classes as their primary extracurricular -- they don't do city leagues, YMCA, private lessons, etc. They need and want something more than a 4-week try-it-on. And yet, they still want to do vacations, church activities, special family events, etc. so an 8-week commitment (while more ideal than a 4-week one) might feel less flexible.

6-weeks seems a good middle ground. You'll attract some 4-weekers who don't mind an extra few weeks, and some 8-weekers who feel they're still getting a decent number of classes to make it worth their while.

I wonder if you can't offer a variety? For all ages of beginner class, maybe a 4-week intro class. Having 4 of these sessions allows lots of interested try-it-on'rs to fit it into their schedules around school, church, sports and other extracurriculars. Once they get bitten by the bug, longer sessions make more sense. So for intermediate or advanced dancers, have the 6-week and/or an 8-week.

One thing that I always wonder about these rec classes is whether each session builds on the last session or whether the teacher starts over each session. There's been times when I have wanted to sign up for the 3rd session of something but haven't been sure that it would be an easy place for a "new kid" to join in. On the other hand, sometimes I haven't been sure if my child should do all 3 sessions of something or if it would be repetitive.

I always wish that this was explained in more detail in the guide. Even something like "New students may join during any session" would make me feel a little better about joining in the middle.

Good luck!

I'll vote with the six-weekers.

I have kids in other extracurriculars, so an 8-week commitment could interfere with that. We'd likely not sign up at all because we'd view the Rec Ctr classes as a fun, try-it-on thing, so any overlap with our chosen activities would render it not worthwhile.

I like the idea of 4 weeks for my own situation (see above), but I have friends who view the Rec Ctr classes as their primary extracurricular -- they don't do city leagues, YMCA, private lessons, etc. They need and want something more than a 4-week try-it-on. And yet, they still want to do vacations, church activities, special family events, etc. so an 8-week commitment (while more ideal than a 4-week one) might feel less flexible.

6-weeks seems a good middle ground. You'll attract some 4-weekers who don't mind an extra few weeks, and some 8-weekers who feel they're still getting a decent number of classes to make it worth their while.

I wonder if you can't offer a variety? For all ages of beginner class, maybe a 4-week intro class. Having 4 of these sessions allows lots of interested try-it-on'rs to fit it into their schedules around school, church, sports and other extracurriculars. Once they get bitten by the bug, longer sessions make more sense. So for intermediate or advanced dancers, have the 6-week and/or an 8-week.

One thing that I always wonder about these rec classes is whether each session builds on the last session or whether the teacher starts over each session. There's been times when I have wanted to sign up for the 3rd session of something but haven't been sure that it would be an easy place for a "new kid" to join in. On the other hand, sometimes I haven't been sure if my child should do all 3 sessions of something or if it would be repetitive.

I always wish that this was explained in more detail in the guide. Even something like "New students may join during any session" would make me feel a little better about joining in the middle.

Good luck!

Interesting idea about shorter sessions for beginners and longer for more advanced... I think the rec center classes are a little confusing too - just like what sweet and simple stated. I have never taught at one - only through a studio but in the last city I lived in there was a lady who ran something like 12 dance classes out of the rec center and she had lots of kids that signed up for every session. They even did a small recital at a community outdoor stage once a year. I wanted to set it up so that new students could join in any session but also reassure those that had taken a couple sessions that they would still indeed be progressing. I agree I should be communicating that to the parents. Thank you, thank you... this is really helpful. So far I think I like the idea of 6 week sessions.

Are the classes held once per week so a 6-week session would meet 6 times? Are the prices the going rate for your area? I ask because my DD takes 4 dance classes a week, so roughly 16 per month, for $80. Your prices would seem very high to me but I live in a low-cost area.

Are the classes held once per week so a 6-week session would meet 6 times? Are the prices the going rate for your area? I ask because my DD takes 4 dance classes a week, so roughly 16 per month, for $80. Your prices would seem very high to me but I live in a low-cost area.

Yes - I did the prices based on what other dance classes were charging at the center - 80 dollars a month for 4 classes/week is an amazing deal!

Your classes seem VERY low cost. Around here $10/hour would be a rare surprise. $15-$20 is more normal. Your classes are $5/hour???

Yes - I did the prices based on what other dance classes were charging at the center - 80 dollars a month for 4 classes/week is an amazing deal!

Your classes seem VERY low cost. Around here $10/hour would be a rare surprise. $15-$20 is more normal. Your classes are $5/hour???

I agree that $5 an hour would be unheard-of inexpensive, at least in my area. We pay about $50 per month for one hour of class per week, which works out to about $12 per hour. The places that do drop-in classes and class cards usually start with a base of $15 per hour and then give discounts for buying in larger chunks. I bought each of my kids a $100 card from a different studio with 10 hours of class time on sale for the summer, which is still $10 per hour. I'd faint if anyone offered classes for $5!

I think the 3 sessions of 6 weeks has the most appeal.

I wouldn't take the 4 week session seriously if I saw an advertisement for it. It's too short to learn anything.

The 8 week seems like a longer committment, and offers less flexibility than the 6!

To stay somewhat on topic for the OP, I do think a 6-week session is a good length of time for students to give dance a try.

The monthly tuition is less expensive per class when you take more classes. So the cost can vary from about $10 per hour to less than $5 per hour. I just copied the following from the studio website showing monthly tuition:

1 class per week $43

2 classes per week $56

3 classes per week $70

4 classes per week $83

5 classes per week $97

Unlimited class fee $110

There's also a $10 discount for additional siblings who take classes. Honestly, if it were $20 per hour, I'm pretty sure very few of the families could afford to attend.

The monthly tuition is less expensive per class when you take more classes. So the cost can vary from about $10 per hour to less than $5 per hour. I just copied the following from the studio website showing monthly tuition:

1 class per week $43

2 classes per week $56

3 classes per week $70

4 classes per week $83

5 classes per week $97

Unlimited class fee $110

There's also a $10 discount for additional siblings who take classes. Honestly, if it were $20 per hour, I'm pretty sure very few of the families could afford to attend.

Well, I think you have a lot of us feeling envious!

My son's studio offers discounts for multiple classes and siblings, also, but, wow, yours starts lower and gets lower fast. By contrast, the pricing scheme at his school is:

1 hour per week - $56

Add a second hour per week - $54

Add a third hour per week - $52

Add a fourth hour per week - $50

So, five hours of class time per week would be $262 per month.

That's why the OP's suggested price didn't raise many eyebrows, or at least didn't raise mine. It's pretty much in line with what I'm used to seeing/paying here.