Menu

Have you ever read these books?

jpklehm

I'm putting a book list together for 5th - 7th graders, and came across some books I'm not familiar with. If you've read

these books, can you give me your insight, please? I'm looking for quality stories, on a variety of topics.

Alabama Moon, by Watt Key

Becoming Naomi Leon, by Pam Munoz Ryan

The Wednesday Wars, by Gary Schmidt

The Winter Room, by Gary Paulsen

Bread and Roses, too, by Katherine Paterson

The Mystery of Rascal Pratt, by Robbie Scott

Kit's Wilderness, by David Almond

The Shakespeare Stealer, by Gary Blackwood

The Canning Season, by Polly Horvath

Thanks for any help you can give! :001_smile:

That's great to read because I read one or two summaries and since it was listed as more of a humorous book, I didn't think it would

have anything questionable in it.

This is why I'm asking! Thanks so much for the information.

Another thumbs' up to Shakespeare. As for Canning Season, the same author wrote The Pepins and Their Problems and Everything on a Waffle, both of which my third grader loved. Waffle had a dark theme but was really well done. Pepins is just silly, but in a good way. Don't know if that is any help, but I did not know there was another book out. Will have to see if my 9 yo wants to read it.

Fantastic! Thank you to everyone who offered your opinions.

Has anyone read these:

Swallows and Amazons by Arthur Ransome

Call it Courage by Armstrong Sperry

Young-Fu of the Upper Yangtze by Elizabeth Foreman Lewis

Again, thank you!

Has anyone read these:

Again, thank you!

Like the previous posters, we enjoyed The Shakespeare Stealer; I'd guess it's for gr. 5-8.

Call it Courage is best for gr. 5-6; boy overcomes his fear of the ocean. It felt VERY similar to Li-Lun, Lad of Courage, but perhaps a bit more interesting and realistic.

Young Fu is more at a gr. 7-9 level. You definitely want to first cover the historical times of 1920s China to help understand what's going on and why the characters make the choices they do. This 5-minute article by Frank Smitha on the Macro History & World Timeline website is VERY helpful "nutshell" info, as it shows the events/movements/key people from the turn of the century up through the 1927 Peasant Rebellion -- all of which is the backdrop to Young Fu.

I know Swallows and Amazons is much-loved by many, but we couldn't get into it at all; it was one of the few books we ever dropped after a few chapters. Slightly similar in tone/setting/characters to Swallows (and at a grade 5-8 level) were these that DSs far preferred:

- The Treasure Seekers (Nesbit)

- Five Children and It (Nesbit)

- The Phoenix and the Carpet (Nesbit)

- Half Magic; Magic by the Lake; Knight's Castle; Time Garden; Seven-Day Magic (Eager)

- Five on a Treasure Island (Blyton)

Not personally familiar with it, but if you have girls, The Penderwicks (Birdsall) might be a substitute for Swallows and Amazons.

And, not that you asked for it (lol), BUT... here are a few "not to be missed" books that were much loved by our DSs in grades 5-7:

- The Toothpaste Millionaire (Merrill) -- gr. 4-6

- By the Great Horn Spoon (Fleischman) - gr. 4-7

- The Hobbit (Tolkien) -- gr. 5+

- The Phantom Tollbooth (Juster) -- gr. 5+

- My Side of the Mountain (George) -- gr. 5+

- The Wolves of Willoughby Chase (Aiken) -- gr. 5-8

- Mrs. Frisby and the Rats of NIMH (O'Brien) -- gr. 5-8

- Rikki-Tikki Tavi (Kipling) -- gr. 5-8

- From the Mixed-Up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler (Konigsburg) -- gr. 5-8

- In the Year of the Boar and Jackie Robinson (Lord) -- gr. 5-8

- Holes (Sacher) -- gr. 5-8

- The Great Wheel (Lawson) -- gr. 5-8

- Detectives in Togas (Winterfeld) -- gr. 5-8

- Island of the Blue Dolphins (O'Dell) -- gr. 5-8

- One Hundred and One Dalmatians (Smith) -- gr. 5-8

- The Pushcart War (Merrill) -- gr. 6+

- The Neverending Story (Ende) -- gr. 6+

- Alice's Adventures in Wonderland (Carroll) -- gr. 6+

- The Westing Game (Raskin) -- gr. 6-9

- The Master Puppeteer (Paterson) -- gr. 6-9

- Hittite Warrior (Williamson) -- gr. 6-9

Lori D, these are some of our favorite books! So you think Holes will work for as young as 5th grade, huh? For some reason I was thinking that one was a little more mature. I actually do own it, I need to read it for myself to figure out if dd is ready for it.

I've been reading Lois Lowry's series, The Giver and Gathering Blue, and I have mixed feelings about them, but I think dd will probably like them, and they do offer food for thought. Oops, thread hijack, sorry!

Like the previous posters, we enjoyed The Shakespeare Stealer; I'd guess it's for gr. 5-8.

Call it Courage is best for gr. 5-6; boy overcomes his fear of the ocean. It felt VERY similar to Li-Lun, Lad of Courage, but perhaps a bit more interesting and realistic.

Young Fu is more at a gr. 7-9 level. You definitely want to first cover the historical times of 1920s China to help understand what's going on and why the characters make the choices they do. This 5-minute article by Frank Smitha on the Macro History & World Timeline website is VERY helpful "nutshell" info, as it shows the events/movements/key people from the turn of the century up through the 1927 Peasant Rebellion -- all of which is the backdrop to Young Fu.

I know Swallows and Amazons is much-loved by many, but we couldn't get into it at all; it was one of the few books we ever dropped after a few chapters. Slightly similar in tone/setting/characters to Swallows (and at a grade 5-8 level) were these that DSs far preferred:

- Half Magic; Magic by the Lake; Knight's Castle; Time Garden; Seven-Day Magic (Eager)

Not personally familiar with it, but if you have girls, The Penderwicks (Birdsall) might be a substitute for Swallows and Amazons.

And, not that you asked for it (lol), BUT... here are a few "not to be missed" books that were much loved by our DSs in grades 5-7:

So you think Holes will work for as young as 5th grade, huh? For some reason I was thinking that one was a little more mature. I actually do own it, I need to read it for myself to figure out if dd is ready for it.

I've been reading Lois Lowry's series, The Giver and Gathering Blue, and I have mixed feelings about them, but I think dd will probably like them, and they do offer food for thought. Oops, thread hijack, sorry!

re: Holes

Well, if you're reading aloud together or have an advanced reader, then yes, grade 5. ;) That's why I tend to give a range on books...

re: The Giver

I was just re-reading part of this recently, as I thought I was going to be doing an "Other Worlds" Literature co-op class for middle school -- and I do have to say, some topics raised by The Giver are disturbing, at least to me (particularly the euthanasia). I do think most 7th/8th graders can handle it, but I'd save it for high school for a sensitive student; don't know if I'd be brave enough to do it with *younger* than 7th/8th, but that's just me. :)

Chrysalis Academy, I know I've contributed book ideas on some of your past threads, but did I ever mention Below the Root (Snyder) to you? It's the first book of what became the Greensky trilogy, but stands alone very nicely. That's a great one for about grade 6-9.

There are 2 sequels ( And All Between, (#2) and Until the Celebration (#3). #2 and #3 get into slightly heavier concepts, and the writing of #3 is the weakest, but both are worth a look -- unless your DD falls in love with the world of Greensky and the "darker" aspects of books #2 and #3 would "ruin" it for her. But you would certainly get some good discussion out of even just the first book. You might want to check these out first before trying out The Giver -- Greensky trilogy is a great "stepping stone" in similar sorts of topics to get to The Giver and its sequels...

Great list, Lori!

I just wanted to give a shout-out to The Pushcart War, in particular. I don't see this book on very many lists and had never heard myself of it until I read it a few years ago. What a thought-provoking book -- great for stimulating discussion.

re: Holes

Well, if you're reading aloud together or have an advanced reader, then yes, grade 5. ;) That's why I tend to give a range on books...

re: The Giver

I was just re-reading part of this recently, as I thought I was going to be doing an "Other Worlds" Literature co-op class for middle school -- and I do have to say, some topics raised by The Giver are disturbing, at least to me (particularly the euthanasia). I do think most 7th/8th graders can handle it, but I'd save it for high school for a sensitive student; don't know if I'd be brave enough to do it with *younger* than 7th/8th, but that's just me. :)

Chrysalis Academy, I know I've contributed book ideas on some of your past threads, but did I ever mention Below the Root (Snyder) to you? It's the first book of what became the Greensky trilogy, but stands alone very nicely. That's a great one for about grade 6-9.

There are 2 sequels ( And All Between, (#2) and Until the Celebration (#3). #2 and #3 get into slightly heavier concepts, and the writing of #3 is the weakest, but both are worth a look -- unless your DD falls in love with the world of Greensky and the "darker" aspects of books #2 and #3 would "ruin" it for her. But you would certainly get some good discussion out of even just the first book. You might want to check these out first before trying out The Giver -- Greensky trilogy is a great "stepping stone" in similar sorts of topics to get to The Giver and its sequels...

Thanks, Lori, I think you did mention Below the Root in a past thread, when I was asking about Sci Fi/Fantasy stuff. I will get it from the library and take a closer look at it.

Thank you so much, Lori D, for these comments and suggestions. And I totally asked for any and all book suggestions, so this was perfect!

Some we've read but many I haven't even heard about, so I'm very excited!

It's always good to have personal recommendations about books, especially books for kids. I don't want to assign a book to my class and have

something in it that isn't appropriate. I tend to read the books with the class so I don't give something away during our discussions, but I may

not do it this way again this year. I may just try and read at least the first four books so I can put them on the syllabus confidently! :001_smile:

Again, thank you!

Has anyone read these:

Again, thank you!

Swallows and Amazons and sequels are great! Highly recommended!

L