Menu

Hotel/Condo Preference

jen3kids

I'm heading to Williamsburg mid-June with 5 kids (ages 17, 15, 15, 13, 11). We are going for 3 nights and will spend 1 day at Busch Gardens and 1 day a WaterCountry USA. We will likely be at the parks from open to close.

I looked into the super-discounted timeshare presentations, but they are sold out of them now - I waffled too long on that decision.

So, now I need to decide if I want to go super cheap hotel ($250) for 3 nights with very little space for us to spread out, or do I go with a discounted resort rate for $350 where we'd be in a condo with a full kitchen and 2 bathrooms. Money is a bit tight, but we could swing the extra $100 for the condo.

My plan is to eat breakfast at the hotel (continental) or condo (make our own) and eat lunch at the park then dinner back at the hotel/condo.

What do you think?

I'd do, and have done, a condo in a heatbeat. I've also done marriot residence inns with the two-bedroom suite that has a kitchen - they also offer a generous real, hot, breakfast as part of your stay (which is nice when people are ready at different times and can go eat when they are ready), and some have evening snacks. (and unlike the condo - they have maid service. ;p)

another suggestion is see if the hotel has a "family" suite availble. even some of the more 'economy' motel's offer them. we once stayed at a motel six that had a bedroom, two bathrooms, and a kitchen. I think the main room was sleeper sofa's, but the kids were teens and they survived. It was less than two rooms . . . .

and you will save alot if you're not having to buy meals.

I'd do, and have done, a condo in a heatbeat. I've also done marriot residence inns with the two-bedroom suite that has a kitchen - they also offer a generous real, hot, breakfast as part of your stay (which is nice when people are ready at different times and can go eat when they are ready), and some have evening snacks. (and unlike the condo - they have maid service. ;p)

another suggestion is see if the hotel has a "family" suite availble. even some of the more 'economy' motel's offer them. we once stayed at a motel six that had a bedroom, two bathrooms, and a kitchen. I think the main room was sleeper sofa's, but the kids were teens and they survived. It was less than two rooms . . . .

and you will save alot if you're not having to buy meals.

I checked out the Marriot Residence and it was crazy expensive. Another friend had stayed there for a great price during the off season. I also looked around at cheaper hotels that had suites, but this one gives us the best value for the price.

Plus, if I decide I've had enough of the parks, I'll go back to the nice hotel with all the amenities and relax! I don't do rides, so I may just save myself $80 plus parking and simply drop them off!

The parks close pretty late in the summer. Are you planning to eat dinner in the condo at 11pm?

You might better off with a plan to go leave the park , eat dinner in the condo and go back. Or one parent return to the condo to put together a picnic dinner and bring it back. There are picnic tables in the parking lots. (at least they did last time I went)

If you have a big cooler you cn make your lunch or dinner in the park parking lot.

It's the Powhatan! What's it like?

A little dated, but very comfortable and quiet. They have a few pools and the outdoor pool we went to was really nice.

We got it for $50 a night on hotels.com one September, so it was a steal! There were two twin beds upstairs for the kids and our bathroom was huge. The living area was a little small, but we really didn't use it.

We ended up doing the timeshare presentation and got a free stay at Greensprings that we used the following year. Greensprings was bigger and not as dated, but it was dead. We didn't see any other kids. The Powhatan had a more kids at the pool and seemed a little more lively.

A little dated, but very comfortable and quiet. They have a few pools and the outdoor pool we went to was really nice.

We got it for $50 a night on hotels.com one September, so it was a steal! There were two twin beds upstairs for the kids and our bathroom was huge. The living area was a little small, but we really didn't use it.

We ended up doing the timeshare presentation and got a free stay at Greensprings that we used the following year. Greensprings was bigger and not as dated, but it was dead. We didn't see any other kids. The Powhatan had a more kids at the pool and seemed a little more lively.

Also, the Powhatan is in a good location. Greensprings was awkward to get to.

$50/night is a steal! I keep my eyes open for that in the fall.

It is probably bigger than we need, but with 6 people in a hotel room (or even a suite) with one bathroom will get a little crowded!