Menu

Can we Talk about Spanking and CoSleeping?

mathmarm

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When I read the title of this post, I automatically thought the OP was trying to see what all she could stir up here. Now that I have read the post, I am even more convinced that is exaclty what she was trying to do. I'm impressed with everyone here who has managed to stay civil. Good job, people!

Guest inoubliable

Maybe I was able to miss the actual drama thanks to the lovely ignore feature I am using.

LOL

to the OP I would say that considering your views and the fact that your child is still in utero you would probably find yourself more suited to a parenting forum, like mothering.com rather than a hs'ing forum.

Whew! Can we sing Kumbaya just to make sure?

:p

Now, I find that offensive. ;)

I'd guess the people being mocked and ridiculed aren't having fun.

You mean the OP who came on here flinging insults and making presumptions guaranteed to rile people? Guess I just didn't care about upsetting people when calling out what was obvious.

Guest inoubliable

I know, I felt left out, too. But it's ok, it's new. You can be in if you want. Who wants to come up with a secret handshake?

Couldn't we just fly our flag fingers around?

Guest inoubliable

I am officially scared that we both posted that.

Dude.

You're scaring me now.

:D

I think I'd much prefer to "accidentally" get sucked in to giving thoughtful, civil, honest advice to a troll... Rather than erring on the other side and "accidentally" attacking, mocking, and humiliating a pregnant woman for the personality flaw of being someone who thinks ahead in too much detail.

Honestly, what did she say to so rile you guys up? Was it the comment about others not being able to "understand" her level of emotionality around this much-anticipated baby? If so, I really don't think she meant it that way, and she certianly didn't start off saying things like that.

I think I'd much prefer to "accidentally" get sucked in to giving thoughtful, civil, honest advice to a troll... Rather than erring on the other side and "accidentally" attacking, mocking, and humiliating a pregnant woman for the personality flaw of being someone who thinks ahead in too much detail.

Honestly, what did she say to so rile you guys up? Was it the comment about others not being able to "understand" her level of emotionality around this much-anticipated baby? If so, I really don't think she meant it that way, and she certianly didn't start off saying things like that.

It's not the thinking ahead in too much detail. I have already stated that I have OCD and GAD. However, this is one of MANY threads by the OP about topics that are WAYYYYYYYYYYYY down the line for her and this one, in particular started off very defensively about how none of us could understand, etc. Either she is a troll, or she really needs a reality check about how much she is obsessively worrying. Anxiety is not good while you are pregnant, in particular, and I hope she gets a doctor or therapist's help to chillax and stop worrying about whether to ever read fiction to her child or which living math books to read to someone who is still a fetus.

Now, I find that offensive. ;)

You mean the OP who came on here flinging insults and making presumptions guaranteed to rile people? Guess I just didn't care about upsetting people when calling out what was obvious.

And let's not forget her previous posts in other threads where I guess she simply forgot to mention that "JR" hadn't even been born yet. :rolleyes:

Acctually, I gave her a thoughtful and kind response back on page one. Her response to me felt very defensive and rubbed me the wrong way but I followed my personal forum rule to not assume offense if there is any possible other interpretation, and left the thread.

I understand being wrapped up in the emotions and planning of a long anticipated pregnancy. I understand forgetting the universe does not revolve around you and yours. I wasn't always so ancient. (Or at least that is what I tell my kids!) Do you know, though, sometimes what happens when you forget to check yourself before you speak is you get smacked back. Sometimes by life, sometimes by family, sometimes by random Internet strangers; it all depends on where you are when you have the mental lapse.

As for the mean girls.....

I truly believe most of the posters flaming the OP would absolutely respect and treat her as kindly as they do any other board member if she showed back up participating in another thread in a non-inflammatory way.

The Hive is tough, but generally fair. And for those that aren't, as I hear someone pointed out, that is what ignore is for.

Acctually, I gave her a thoughtful and kind response back on page one. Her response to me felt very defensive and rubbed me the wrong way but I followed my personal forum rule to not assume offense if there is any possible other interpretation, and left the thread.

I understand being wrapped up in the emotions and planning of a long anticipated pregnancy. I understand forgetting the universe does not revolve around you and yours. I wasn't always so ancient. (Or at least that is what I tell my kids!) Do you know, though, sometimes what happens when you forget to check yourself before you speak is you get smacked back. Sometimes by life, sometimes by family, sometimes by random Internet strangers; it all depends on where you are when you have the mental lapse.

As for the mean girls.....

I truly believe most of the posters flaming the OP would absolutely respect and treat her as kindly as they do any other board member if she showed back up participating in another thread in a non-inflammatory way.

The Hive is tough, but generally fair. And for those that aren't, as I hear someone pointed out, that is what ignore is for.

I don't believe you. I see your avatar, and quite frankly, you're prehistoric. Otherwise. :iagree:

Maybe I was able to miss the actual drama thanks to the lovely ignore feature I am using.

Can I just say the lovely ignore feature has made my world. One night after ranting and raving at my computer (but of course not posting because after all I am not a mean girl) I called my sis who is a self proclaimed board junkie (not this one). After a 20 minute rant about the presentation of ideas on certain topics she said quietly "Why don't you just ignore them?" You could have heard crickets chirping in the silence that followed. Needless to say once I tracked that little button down my world has been a much lovelier place.

Ok, back to our regularly scheduled program.

It's not the thinking ahead in too much detail. I have already stated that I have OCD and GAD. However, this is one of MANY threads by the OP about topics that are WAYYYYYYYYYYYY down the line for her and this one, in particular started off very defensively about how none of us could understand, etc. Either she is a troll, or she really needs a reality check about how much she is obsessively worrying. Anxiety is not good while you are pregnant, in particular, and I hope she gets a doctor or therapist's help to chillax and stop worrying about whether to ever read fiction to her child or which living math books to read to someone who is still a fetus.

She made ONE comment about us not really understanding how important this baby is to her AFTER being ridiculed, then went back and edited to apologize for the misstep. Don't pretend you're worried about her "anxiety being bad for the baby" while tearing her apart and ridiculing her. And don't pretend this is about her questions when it's just a sad, predictable demonstration of basic pack mentality. Someone starts tearing in, and everyone jumps in for the fun of ripping someone to shreds. How fun!

Beck

You might be surprised, if I weren't on your ignore list, to know I wasn't at all part of the drama. I answered the OP authentically and with respect to opposing viewpoints.

I don't believe you. I see your avatar, and quite frankly, you're prehistoric. Otherwise. :iagree:

What. What. What do you mean?

Shoot. I've got watermelon on my shirt again; gives it away every time.

She made ONE comment about us not really understanding how important this babu is to her AFTER being ridiculed, then went back and edited to apologize for the misstep. Don't pretend you're worried about her "anxiety being bad for the baby" while tearing her apart and ridiculing her. And don't pretend this is about her questions when it's just a sad, predictable demonstration of basic pack mentality. Someone starts tearing in, and everyone jumps in for the fun of ripping someone to shreds. How fun!

Beck

You're ignoring board history here and making assumptions about me. Me=anxiety disorder. If she isn't a troll, then I am genuinely concerned for her. I have btdt googling everything from lymphoma to gout to college admissions guidelines for homeschoolers for DAYS. I know what it's like. Humor can help, so can people bringing you back down to reality. Especially when you start stepping on toes. And if you look back, not all of our posts are "ripping someone to shreds." Most of what we've been saying is just fun at our own expense.

You're ignoring board history here and making assumptions about me. Me=anxiety disorder. If she isn't a troll, then I am genuinely concerned for her. I have btdt googling everything from lymphoma to gout to college admissions guidelines for homeschoolers for DAYS. I know what it's like. Humor can help, so can people bringing you back down to reality. Especially when you start stepping on toes. And if you look back, not all of our posts are "ripping someone to shreds." Most of what we've been saying is just fun at our own expense.

Just to get this straight, you're actually helping her by joining into the mockery this thread has devolved into? Got it.

Just to get this straight, you're actually helping her by joining into the mockery this thread has devolved into? Got it.

Oh jeez. Read back, it starts on page one with comments about her needing to relax and wait to see what it's like once the baby is born. I'm pretty sure everyone had this ideal image of parenthood that devolved into (usually) controlled chaos that looks nothing like our ideal original picture. This is not the first similar thread. I'm not freaking mocking her. If I am, then apparently what I've said has come out wrong. I've been poking fun at myself. Go back and read all the quotes and break apart every word I've said and every typo I've made. Whatever.

FWIW, I read it BEFORE she edited, and so did many people, and there are still things she said that are a little insulting. Especially to those of us who have had infertility issues or losses. I can not possibly see how pointing out unnecessary concern, anxiety, and overthinking is doing the OP a disservice. She might just be really excited. That's great! Pregnancy is great! But I really wish I had someone to talk me down every time I go on an unnecessary info bender. So if you're asking for opinions on a public board, you're going to get opinions. Not always the ones you want to hear, but if you don't like it, ignore it or don't ask so publicly, kwim?

And really, if you have no intention on homeschooling and you need help with parenting issues, please go to a parenting specific site like Mothering or Babycenter or CafeMom (is that one still extant?). Not because we don't know anything about parenting, :p but because it is probably a better place to get a variety of answers and information.

For the OP, I highly recommend some books for you:

Mother Nurture

Dr. Sears Baby Book

If I think of anymore, I'll add them later.

You seem to have developed quite the emotional investment in this thread.

Are you sure you're not the Forum Police? ;)

As far as I'm concerned, I think most of us were quite nice to the OP early in the thread, until she got all snotty and defensive -- and perhaps you didn't get a chance to read what she posted before she did some editing, so you may have missed it. But believe me, she managed to offend quite a few people before anyone said the slightest thing to offend her.

It doesn't really matter, anyway. I think most of us have pretty much forgotten all about the OP and have gone off on our own little tangent. :D

She made ONE comment about us not really understanding how important this baby is to her AFTER being ridiculed, then went back and edited to apologize for the misstep. Don't pretend you're worried about her "anxiety being bad for the baby" while tearing her apart and ridiculing her. And don't pretend this is about her questions when it's just a sad, predictable demonstration of basic pack mentality. Someone starts tearing in, and everyone jumps in for the fun of ripping someone to shreds. How fun!

Beck

Apparently, you don't hang here much. She has not made ONE obnoxious comment about the baby in utero.

I don't see anyone being, "ripped to shreds." I see some drama the OP created by telling eveyrone here that essentially none of us love our children as much as she loves hers.

Really? You're going to tell a HOMESCHOOLING board that and expect to come out with a lot of respect and admiration??

Heck, I'm even bright enough not to post that on a public schooling forum! :laugh: :laugh:

You seem to have developed quite the emotional investment in this thread.

Are you sure you're not the Forum Police? ;)

As far as I'm concerned, I think most of us were quite nice to the OP early in the thread, until she got all snotty and defensive -- and perhaps you didn't get a chance to read what she posted before she did some editing, so you may have missed it. But believe me, she managed to offend quite a few people before anyone said the slightest thing to offend her.

It doesn't really matter, anyway. I think most of us have pretty much forgotten all about the OP and have gone off on our own little tangent. :D

She denies she is the forum police and then continues to act like the forum police. I find that ironic.