Menu

Did your kids like Prima Latina?

EmilyGF

I want to gently start Latin for my kids.

If we did Prima Latina together, 4 days a week, 15 minutes a day, would we make progress?

We'd also listen to Lingua Angelica probably 3 times a week to learn prayers and songs in Latin.

I would include my 3rd and 2nd grader completely, and have my remembers-everything-she-has-ever-heard 5-year-old listen in.

Emily

Yes, especially our first time through it. I don't even think you need 4 days a week to go through it. The first time I did it at home w/an 8 and a 6 yr old we did the main lesson by reviewing previous flashcards, then listening to the the C.D. and repeating the new words. Then a few minutes on the grammar lesson from the workbook and the 1st wkbk page.. Then another day of the week we practiced the vocab and did the 2nd workbook page, and maybe just maybe a 3rd day that week we did the flashcards again (but not usually) We did the prayers daily in real life, at meals and at bedtime. 6 yr old just tagged along, picking up what she picked up. I didn't have her do the wkbk, nor expect her to understand the grammar. She did pick up the vocabulary and prayers.

This past year I taught it at co-op. So my current dd8 had an hour lesson there. We reviewed past words and sayings and grammar. Then had new grammar lesson. Then they copied the current vocab into a notebook. Then over 2 days at home she did the 2 wkbk pages to keep it all fresh and again, we kept up the prayers at home.

So yes, my kids were really excited about learning a foreign language. My older loved it because she loved(s) learning anything new and is stimulated by it. The younger likes it because her older sibling and the older siblings of all of her friends have been learning it for so long and she is glad to join the club I think :)

Mine disliked the DVD (Leigh Lowe).

Looking back, they will tell you they liked Prima (except the DVD) a lot better than LC1. It was gentle.

Dd#2 will redo it this year & dd#3 will join her. They aren't dreading it. ;-)

Nah, she did Prima several years ago orally (because she was on the young side) while I was doing it with dd#1. She didn't quite make it to the end of LC1 (again, paired with oldest dd) the following year. I finally let her stop & let dd#1 go on without her. DD#1 cruised through the last five chapters with ease & speed when we'd just plodded when I was trying to drag dd#2 with us.

Dd#3 is ready to start Prima, so rather than have three kids doing three different Latin programs (dd#1 First Form, dd#2 LC1, & dd#3 Prima), I'm combining dd#2 & #3 in Prima so I only have to manage two programs. Dd#2 has gifts that are non-academic. She's closer in scholastic ability to dd#3 than her much-closer-in-age dd#1. She'll enjoy the gentleness of Prima as she already knows the vocab & most of the grammar and remembers 90% of the prayers. Dd#3 knows a couple of the prayers from hearing them around the house/dinner table, but none of the vocab or grammar.

It'll probably be one of dd#2's "easy" classes, but she needs those. Prima is VERY gentle. I'm looking forward to doing it again.

We've been using PL since January. We listen to the CD and complete most of the lesson aloud...I have my 8 and 10yo copy the vocabulary and prayers in their notebooks as well. I also make flashcards on index cards for review. They enjoy it and we spend about 15 minutes each day, 3-4 days/week.

Both of my girls enjoyed PL. We watched the DVD and did the first workbook exercise the first day of the week, then reviewed the grammar lesson and the new vocab words and did one more workbook exercise each day for the rest of the week. Very simple, and it worked. My oldest is just finishing up FFL, and my middle will have no trouble when she starts LC I this fall. Both of my daughters liked the DVD and Ms. Lowe; in fact, my older daughter was sad when she started FFL and discovered the DVD has a different teacher. She likes him (he tells jokes and is a bit goofy, perfect for the jr. high crowd), but she really liked Ms. Lowe...she was pleasant, easy to understand, and very thorough in her teaching.

I did PL with dd8 this year. I originally bought LC, so I have both. I could tell that LC would be too much for us. PL was really gentle. There is an awful lot of writing, and dd8 had a really hard time with that. She just couldn't get the Latin phonograms into her head. Between that, the fact that she is reluctant writer, and the fact that there is a ton of busy work in PL, we ended up not doing any of the written work. We memorized vocabulary and did the questions orally. The one good thing about LC is that it has all of the PL flashcards, so having those flashcards from LC was a real help in doing PL. We are not moving on to LC next year, because dd8 had so much trouble with the little conjugation that we did in PL that I just don't think she is ready for LC (not to mention the increased paperwork).

we liked it too. We are nearly finished with LC1...we use the DVD's. Actually, my husband, who is a Pastor teaches Latin to our kids...they watch the DVD one day, work on the workbook the next, go over a day or two later. The on to the next lesson. Like others have said, it is a gentle way to teach Latin...and eveny my 8 year old is keeping up with our 11 and 12 year old...it's good.

My dd9 LOVES Prima Latina and we do it 3-4 days a week and also use the cursive Latin copybook along with the lessons each week. She also loves the DVD lessons and still gets excited when it is time to do a new lesson. I get excited too because I get to sit and listen and get a break from teaching and actually learn right along with her! :coolgleamA: