Menu

Sugar makes me angry

NotSoObvious

processed sugar has many negatives. there was a book in the 70's called "sugar blues" about the negative physiological aspects of sugar. I did a yeast free diet - that also included avoiding every single form of sugar. took a month, but I felt better than I ever had in my life. (I also no longer had 'allergies' or dry skin.) keep in mind - all those "fat free"/low-fat foods make up for the loss of flavor by adding sugar. You can read up on the methylation cycle and how sugar affects it. ETA: you probably have a yeast problem if you are feeling angry. sugar feeds yeast - yeast will eventually burrow into your gut and get into your bloodstream. if you don't get enough sugar to feed the yeast - it will make you angry as you experience the toxins from the die-off.

I have PCOS, and therefore am somewhat insulin resistant. Sugar for me means that my body will dump out a lot of extra insulin, which then actually ends up making me feel HYPOglycemic (tired, irritable, brain fog, etc.). Insulin resistance affects a pretty substantial percentage of the population.

I am starting to wonder if this is something effecting ds14. He already is a moody guy but lately he has been so angry/volatile, and really the only real difference has been the amount of sugary foods he is eating. I know he is sensitive to certain dyes etc, and thought for the longest time the carbs were negatively affecting him (he is a carb-o-holic), but now wondering if it is sugar and not carbs doing it because he has been completely insane lately to the point that even he is not liking himself and the way he is acting, but doesn't know why he is.

I am starting to wonder if this is something effecting ds14. He already is a moody guy but lately he has been so angry/volatile, and really the only real difference has been the amount of sugary foods he is eating. I know he is sensitive to certain dyes etc, and thought for the longest time the carbs were negatively affecting him (he is a carb-o-holic), but now wondering if it is sugar and not carbs doing it because he has been completely insane lately to the point that even he is not liking himself and the way he is acting, but doesn't know why he is.

This sounds like hormones. My boys both went through a phase just like it. Thankfully they outgrew it.

processed sugar has many negatives. there was a book in the 70's called "sugar blues" about the negative physiological aspects of sugar. I did a yeast free diet - that also included avoiding every single form of sugar. took a month, but I felt better than I ever had in my life. (I also no longer had 'allergies' or dry skin.) keep in mind - all those "fat free"/low-fat foods make up for the loss of flavor by adding sugar. You can read up on the methylation cycle and how sugar affects it. ETA: you probably have a yeast problem if you are feeling angry. sugar feeds yeast - yeast will eventually burrow into your gut and get into your bloodstream. if you don't get enough sugar to feed the yeast - it will make you angry as you experience the toxins from the die-off.

Is there a specific yeast free diet you followed? Or any info on recipe recommendations?

This sounds like hormones. My boys both went through a phase just like it. Thankfully they outgrew it.

I don't know, dd13 had the hormone thing going on with the miserable one minute, just fine the next. ds14 is a whole different ball of wax. Friday he was caught cutting up math manips with the hedge clippers, he got so mad at being caught and in trouble that he swung them at me before throwing them across the lawn, and proceeding to have a meltdown screaming at me etc. That meltdown lasted through trying to pack him for camp, you would think the world was ending the way he carried on. I sure as heck hope this is a phase because I have no patience for a toddler in a man's body. I do know he gets worse with certain foods, but lately he has been gorging himself on sugary stuff and worse than ever, so that's why I started to wonder if there was a connection.

Yes, I realized that sugar/carbs have a profound effect on me about 10 years ago. Anxiety and anything from irritability to irrational anger. It's not that I can't have any at all, but I make sure to eat protein at each meal, stick to whole grains as much as possible, and if I am going to have a rare treat, eat it in moderation with a meal that has lots of protein in it. I am very strict with my diet.

Sugar in the morning is worse. Give me pancakes or oatmeal for breakfast, and I will become completely irrational sometime shortly after. That said, I haven't eaten anything like that in probably 7 or more years. Oh, and skipping meals has the same effect. Because I eat protein at every meal and somewhat low carb, I usually do not have much of an appetite. I would just rather not eat sometimes, but I have found that leads to disaster for me, so I force myself to. Fun times, but I am so grateful I made the connection and figured out how to handle it.

• Like 1

Yes, I realized that sugar/carbs have a profound effect on me about 10 years ago. Anxiety and anything from irritability to irrational anger. It's not that I can't have any at all, but I make sure to eat protein at each meal, stick to whole grains as much as possible, and if I am going to have a rare treat, eat it in moderation with a meal that has lots of protein in it. I am very strict with my diet.

Sugar in the morning is worse. Give me pancakes or oatmeal for breakfast, and I will become completely irrational sometime shortly after. That said, I haven't eaten anything like that in probably 7 or more years. Oh, and skipping meals has the same effect. Because I eat protein at every meal and somewhat low carb, I usually do not have much of an appetite. I would just rather not eat sometimes, but I have found that leads to disaster for me, so I force myself to. Fun times, but I am so grateful I made the connection and figured out how to handle it.

This sounds a lot like me. I need to do a better job of keeping track and staying on top of what I eat.

Yes, sugar (a big hit of it) makes me angry, too. Years ago a Baskin' Robbins opened near our place. With all the hype & all, we would go there for a special treat every so often. It took me ages to work out that I would always get hot, super-irritable & slightly irrational after every visit. I had to put it down to the amount of sugar- that was the only time I was ever consuming that much sugar in one hit (the serves were bigger than any other ice cream place here)

• 8 years later...

Sugar started make me angry two years ago. After twenty minutes of eating sugar I would go agitated, depressed and hateful. I would cry loud for no reason and yelling at my husband for such small things. I saw many doctors, checked my hormones, etc. Every thing was ok and no one could relate sugar with my anger and depression.

I change my job and in the kitchen there was mint tea. After drinking for a couple of days (twice a day) I felt energetic and calm. I researched in Iranian old medicine (because I'm Iranian) and found out mint juse is the medication for stomach diseases. I'm writing this because I had such dark days during last two years. Please first check your stomach asid reflux and try mint tea and mint juse. (I'm not sure about the mint leaf. Let me know how do you feel after.

Just now, Seasider too said:

Yeah! For about a half hour!

But then all I want to do is crash but can’t sleep. It’s a sort of sugar paralysis. 

But is sure is addictive. 

ZOMBIE THREAD from 2013.

But my opinion still stands!  🙂 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Seasider too said:

Oh I didn’t catch that!

I wonder if the OP is still….shangry?

I just checked her profile and it looks like she hasn’t been here since last May. Maybe the sugar finally got to her. 😉 

Seeing Machine Gun Kitty again was quite the blast from the past, though! 😁