Menu

STEM curriculums/books/Resources

happycc

Awhile back there was a topic posted about this and I couldnt find it since the new forum began. I remember Beth posted on this about some kind of engineering curriculum through Boston Museum and I would love her feedback on that.

So I would like a list of all STEM stuff as much as possible.

For all ages..but mostly middle school through high school as we are heading towards that direction rather quickly.

We are planning to use this book next month borrowing it from a library:

Robotics: Discover the Science and Technology of the Future with 20 Projects

http://www.amazon.co...ywords=robotics

We also will be using this one for our Robotics/Technology studies next year : Robot Builder's Bonanza, 4th Edition

http://www.amazon.co...ywords=robotics

There is another good one I will be using with my kids when they are little older:

STEM Student Research Handbook

http://www.amazon.com/STEM-Student-Research-Handbook-PB297X/dp/1936137240/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&qid=1368739509&sr=8-9&keywords=stem

If your kids are interesting in Robotics these two books will be a good start:

Robot Building for Beginners and Intermediate Robot Building by David Cook

Awhile back there was a topic posted about this and I couldnt find it since the new forum began. I remember Beth posted on this about some kind of engineering curriculum through Boston Museum and I would love her feedback on that.

Could that have been the Boston Children's Museum Activity Books? I'm always recommending them here. They're OOP, but very good and good for upper elementary and middle school (though many of the introductory activities can be used for younger kids as well).

It feels really, really huge to me to try to list *all* the STEM resources out there. I mean, I could make a list of fifty things off the top of my head and it would be a drop in the bucket. But I'll list a few of my favorite things...

For Building, Technology, and Engineering:

Lego Mindstorms with the NXT Discovery Guide

Lego Power Functions with the Isogawa books

Scratch with Super Scratch Programming

Snap Circuits

Haba Ball Track

Steven Caney's Ultimate Building Book

For Science:

Usborne Science Encyclopedia

DK's Open Me Up

Let's Read and Find Out books

Seymour Simon's books

Basher Books

Biodiversity and Shaping the Earth by Dorothy Hinshaw Patent

Boston Children's Museum Activity Books

Neil Ardley's The Science Book of... experiment books

The Nature Connection

The Scientist in the Field books

Sandra Markle's Predator/Prey/Scavenger series

Horrible Science books

Bill Nye the Science Guy

Eureka! on Youtube

The Elements by Gray

The Life of video series by David Attenborough

Mythbusters

For Math:

(I'll skip actual curricula)

Sideways Arithmetic from Wayside School

Anno's math books

Youth Math books

I Love Math books

Primary Challenge Math

Right Start Games

Rat-a-Tat-Cat and Zeus on the Loose

24 (the game)

The Number Devil

To me STEM means a focus on those subjects (science, technology, engineering, math) in terms of priorities and time spent. Some people are history-focused, some are STEM-focused, etc. IMHO, STEM is not a checklist of specific curricula/books/resources, it is more about how you use those items in your schooling.

I agree that STEM focus is more of priorities and time spent. I noticed that in The Well Trained Mind there is extensive explanations on history section --outlining, biography studies, timeline, primary documents etc.

However the science seems lighter than the history section.

So what needs to be added to make The Well Trained Mind even more STEM focused?

I was watching a show that spoke about two students. Both worked equally hard in high school but one did not take any STEM focused classes in college and as a result did not get into a college of his choice while the other did. I think money was also a factor as well.

Anyways I want to introduce more STEM stuff but frankly just not really confident about this stuff myself.

SneguochkaL and farrarwilliams

Thank you for those resources.

Yes all these are helpful. Oh by the way Timberdoodle sells Squishy CIrcuits kits and lesson plans I believe.

'

You are welcome:)

I went to Engineering is Elementary website and downloaded a free unit which is available there. I will try it with my kids. My daughter is kind getting old for it but my 6 years old son will have a blast from "Saving a toad" unit. I will let you know how we liked it.

Here is a link to it if you want to try it out yourself.

http://www.eie.org/content/engineering-adventures

I agree that STEM focus is more of priorities and time spent. I noticed that in The Well Trained Mind there is extensive explanations on history section --outlining, biography studies, timeline, primary documents etc.

However the science seems lighter than the history section.

So what needs to be added to make The Well Trained Mind even more STEM focused?

I was watching a show that spoke about two students. Both worked equally hard in high school but one did not take any STEM focused classes in college and as a result did not get into a college of his choice while the other did. I think money was also a factor as well.

Anyways I want to introduce more STEM stuff but frankly just not really confident about this stuff myself.

I've learned the most about how to build a STEM focus by paying attention to and taking to heart the advice of posters here like Regentrude, Lewelma (Ruth in NZ), 8filltheheart, EKS and others. If I get a chance, I'll come back and link some of their relevant posts that have resonated with me.

ETA - To get you started, here's a thread that links many more amazing science threads.

And http://forums.welltr.../#entry4923600)

Check out the events calendar for:

Chabot Space and Science Center

http://www.chabotspace.org/index.htm

Lawrence Hall of Science

http://www.lawrencehallofscience.org/visit/camps_and_classes

Don Edwards Wildlife Refuge Fremont Center

http://www.fws.gov/refuge/don_edwards_san_francisco_bay/activities.html

Go for the free events there, make it a science fieldtrip. Your children would be indirectly immerse in STEM stuff.

OP, While poking around the CPO science website today and planning for next year, I noticed this STEM buzzword page and thought you might find it helpful. It mentions how they see STEM, what STEM models emphasize, recent education (gov't) directives, how CPO incorporates them, etc. There are additional links on the right side of the page if you're interested. Perhaps this info, or similar info from any other science textbook publisher of your preference, will help you also.

I called them once and suggested this. The response was to split the cost with other homeschoolers.

These do look really neat! But even if we bought the pack of 8, the teachers guides would still be $45. And I can't find anything that says how long these are scheduled for but I imagine you'd still need at least several for a year. Plus supplies.

8FilltheHeart:::yess we just got back from the Maker's Faire yesterday. Oh my head is just exploding. It was amazing. My head has been aching for this kind of input for a LONG time. I have a magazine and it looks wonderful. Thank you. I learned about Hackerscouts. http://hacker-scouts.org/

It is like boyscouts but STEM oriented or should I say STEAM oriented. The A stands for Art.

Thank you Arcadia. We are members of the Chabot Space and Science center and go there every month if not twice a month and go to the Lawrence Hall of Science about once a year and the California Academy of Science, Exploratorium about once a year as well. There is always so much to learn. I also want to check out Curiosity in San Mateo as well.

I think I would add in Hacker scouts to our curriculum as well.

I also want to check out Curiosity in San Mateo as well.

CuriOdyssey(San Mateo) next free day is July 17th. They do not have any free day in June and their free day in May was May 4th. The whole Coyote Point Park is lovely, we found kelp there by the "beach" area and some rocks (mostly granite) too. There is a parking fee for the park.

Another fun place to go to is the Palo Alto Junior Museum and Zoo. My boys are fascinated by the kid power (Ball) machine there and your kids can learn physics from that machine indirectly. Entrance and parking are free.

http://www.cityofpal.../jmz/photos.asp

ETA:

The Tech Museum (San Jose downtown) is also worth a day trip for an immersive environment. There are free parking garages on weekends. "Bank of America Cardholders, get one free admission to our regular galleries (not including IMAX) when you show your Bank of America ATM credit or check card with a photo ID during the first full weekend of every month"

So I would like a How To Manual for how to make your curriculum more STEM/STEAM oriented. I am not looking to suddenly change overnight. It will have to be more gradual. Year by year thing....

So this year:

We did Elemental Chemistry for science and did all of the required experiments.

Plus we are using Singapore math, Key to Math

We are also a member of Chabot Space and Science center and go at least once a month

My kids build with Kapla blocks making doll houses-not really STEM more STEAM

Next year --what can I add?

These do look really neat! But even if we bought the pack of 8, the teachers guides would still be $45. And I can't find anything that says how long these are scheduled for but I imagine you'd still need at least several for a year. Plus supplies.

I agree. I found 3 units my kids will be interested in. I really like the one about magnetism and "train". If I convince myself to use any of them, this would be the one we will try out first.

I wish they would have some materials targeted to homeschoolers at the fraction of the price they ask schools to pay:(

The adventures ones (pp mentioned hop to it look like they are designed for a non school environment (they used an acronym I don't know) and seem to be free downloads. I will try and download some when I get computer access.

8FilltheHeart:::yess we just got back from the Maker's Faire yesterday. Oh my head is just exploding. It was amazing. My head has been aching for this kind of input for a LONG time. I have a magazine and it looks wonderful. Thank you. I learned about Hackerscouts. http://hacker-scouts.org/

It is like boyscouts but STEM oriented or should I say STEAM oriented. The A stands for Art.

Awesome!

My kids definitely love to tinker, so projects have been greatly enjoyed (and these sorts of things can carry over to adult hobbies. My oldest is still a project oriented person. Right now he is into brewing beer. )