Menu

Notifying of rent paid?

Mynyel

It isn't in the lease terms. The actual land lord has never, ever asked for it. However said landlord has his handyman (yup the handyman) doing his property management.

The "property manager" is now saying he wants us to notify him every month that we paid rent. Really? I don't think I should have to.

To be fair, I can't stand the man. Purple passion can't stand him. My hackles are really up right now but is it really my responsibility to tell him I paid the rent? It is direct deposited. I transfer from my account to the actual land lords account. I have been doing this for the last three years or so, never had a problem.

So am I being touchy or is this normal now for property managers to ask you if you paid rent without verifying?

That would annoy me too, especially if you've paid on time for the last 3 years!

I'd talk to the landlord. If the property manager wants to verify that the rent's been paid each month, then I'd say they needed to work that out on their end and suggest that the landlord give the property manager access to the bank statements.

Nope. Your contract is with the landlord and the landlord only. Tell handyman that if he wants notice, he needs to get it from the landlord, presumably the person with whom he has a contract. He has no privity for that information.

You could tell him "I'd be glad to notify you each month, as soon as I receive notification from the landlord instructing me to do so. Please have the landlord contact me."

Then it's back in his court. Why should you have to call the landlord to work this out? If the landlord wants you to notify the handyman, the landlord will let you know.

Nope. Not your responsibility. Not any of his business.

And I'd tell the landlord that he makes you so uncomfortable that you'd prefer your dh be present when the handyman works.

Yes, please...... do this.... Although it is next to impossible to require this of all workers who need to come to the house, at least with my dh's schedule, someone like this would not be alone with me.