Menu

What do you do with a K'er that is past phonics?

Hi,

I have a 6 yr. old Kindergartener and we just finished AAR 2. We used HOD so he will be using the emergent readers next year for first, but I'm not sure what to do with him until then.

I'm guessing he reads at a 2nd-3rd gr. reading level based on the informal assessments that I've done. I'm guessing he will fly through the ER's just as he has AAR. I just bought the 2nd-3rd gr. pathway readers, but do not know if him reading one of those a day is enough for K or 1st grade? It literally takes him 5 minutes and he breezes through them and can comprehend well. I feel like I should be giving him more instructional time, yet I don't personally believe in teaching grammar this young.

What else is there to do? Is there a program that leaves out grammar that is appropriate for younger kids I'm just not familiar with what's out there since this is our first year. Thanks!

If he reads at a 2nd/3rd grade level, I'd get books from the library and have him read them aloud to you. Gradually get harder and longer ones as the year progresses. At some point, if you want to add direct instruction back in, you can use REWARDS Intermediate which teaches kids how to sound out multisyllabic words.

The library. Check out books on-level and read aloud. When he comes to an unfamiliar word, read it phonetically, stating the rule if he's stuck. Over time, gradually raise the reading level. If he doesn't know the meaning of a word, tell him.

I agree-every time we go to the library, we get a big stack of readers on his level. He reads those during his hour long quiet time. I feel like having him just read one of those to me is....not enough. Or is it? I am a public school reading teacher turned SAHM, so I probably still have the mentality that reading should be 45 minutes...or at least 15! just wondering if there IS a reading comprehension type program out there for the little people?

Read read read. AAS has been great for my advanced young reader too.

Try to find a series that your son likes. That way he will get excited about following favourite characters from book to book. We started with Henry and Mudge, moved on to Mr Putter and Tabby (we still love these), dabbled with some Magic Treehouse for awhile, and have now found Dinosaur Cove.

This is what I have done so far this year with my DD(5.5) - started spelling with a phonics based programme, started oral creative writing - basically as games in the car, started WWE using the textbook to help with narration and check comprehension. For reading I look at both HOD and Sonlight's readers and bought some of the grade 3 and 4 readers which she is now making her way through reading aloud to me twice a day a chapter at a time. I also get books out the library at the same level. I have used these readers as they are just normal books but have helped me choose books at the right level for stamina - while my DD could decode anything, she does struggle to read for long periods of time and having those early chapter books has helped her increase the amount she reads in one go. At a grade 2/3 level most of reading instruction seems to be about vocabulary and stamina - so just keep letting your child read and gradually increase the amount of reading expected. You can also start silent reading if your child is ready for it but keep the reading aloud so you can help with vocabulary and keep an eye on things.

If you specifically want reading passages with comprehension questions then you could also try Reading for the Gifted Student Grade 1 level, but WWE also does plenty of comprehension questions (orally).

Do you have the Beyond guide and ER's already? If you do I would just start them now. You do not need to correlate the ER readings with a certain Beyond unit. Also in the ER schedule there are supplemental titles that can be used. I made a nice list of these types of books and you can find it on my blog. I'm planning to update it really soon with a better order. :)

Agreeing with what everyone else is saying. Read, read, read. That means read to them, have them read to themselves, and have them read to you. Narration for comprehension. WWE is good for that (and copywork) and it so much more interesting than comprehension worksheets. I did that with my first. Very boring. The only thing I would add is Explode the Code for phonics.

Scholastic has several guides in their Teaching with Favorite __________ Books series that go a little further into picture books and readers.

Teaching with Favorite Kevin Henkes Books: Owen, Chrysanthemum, Chester's Way, Wemberley Worried, Julius, Lily's Purple Plastic Purse, A Weekend with Wendall, Sheila Rae the Brave

Teaching with Favorite Arnold Lobel Books: Owl at Home, Frog and Toad are Friends, Frog and Toad Together, Frog and Toad All Year, Days with Frog and Toad, Grasshopper on the Road, Uncle Elephant, Mouse Soup, Fables, Ming Lo Moves the Mountain, Mouse Tales

You can see samples at Scholastic or on Amazon. The guides include graphic organizers to go further into the stories - analyzing characters, mapping the plot, etc. That's what I plan to do for Kindergarten.

This was my oldest dd in kindergarten. I borrowed library books on whatever topic she was currently interested in. Sometimes she read to me (or her siblings) but mostly she just read to herself. We did spelling (AAS). Once she learned all of the upper and lowercase letters we started copywork (WWE). We also did part of Song School Latin.

I'd agree with pps: read, read, read. Read to him and have him read to you. In K, I aimed to have my dd read aloud about 10 - 15 min (tops) a day. Between the two of us, DH and I read to her and her sister for a couple of hours each day, and still do.

I also moved to a phonics-based spelling program (AAS) and started handwriting instruction.

I agree with everyone else about reading. Also, I don't know if you're interested, but I think AAR 3 will be coming out this fall. Otherwise, i would probably go ahead and start the ER schedule.I will likely be in this place come springtime. Dd is breezing through AAR 1 and I don't see her slowing down until we get to level 2. She could probably have started at Lesson 30 with AAR, but we are going through everything for review.

Be sure to let us know what you decide!

I agree-every time we go to the library, we get a big stack of readers on his level. He reads those during his hour long quiet time. I feel like having him just read one of those to me is....not enough. Or is it? I am a public school reading teacher turned SAHM, so I probably still have the mentality that reading should be 45 minutes...or at least 15! just wondering if there IS a reading comprehension type program out there for the little people?

Yes. The WTM calls it narration. During or after a read aloud (from you or your child), ask questions. Have your child answer in complete sentences. Talk about what was read, sometimes tie it back to previous readings, have a conversation. It's more comprehensive and free-flowing than reading a passage and answering a multiple-choice question. You also get a better picture of your child's attention skills.

As an example, if I read a fairy tale, my dd can remember the minute details so I can save narration towards the end. In history, she tends to tune out more, so I ask more questions during the reading. Not every reading requires a narration though. I strive for only one narration session per day for dd7.

If your child is finishing a reader quickly while reading aloud to you, it's probably time to up the reading level. Pick a slightly more difficult book. Reading on his own should be easy so he doesn't get frustrated, but I think reading aloud should be a slight stretch.