Menu

audio book help

we just listened to the odyssey by mary pope osborne audio book (http://www.amazon.com/Odyssey-Collection-ODYSSEY-COLLECTION-Osborne/dp/B00AU9DCW4/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1366657892&sr=8-8&keywords=the+odyssey+mary+pope+osborne+audio)

my 7 yo loved it.

we have a 12+ hour drive coming up the end of May and I am trying to decide what to get to listen to.

I think I have decided on The Lion, The Witch and the Waldrobe.

But I found 2 "differnt" recordings on Amazon. Both are unabridged:

this one: http://www.amazon.com/The-Lion-Witch-Wardrobe-Lewis/dp/0060793333/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_S_nC?ie=UTF8&colid=343SY1F71SGVP&coliid=I37R9NHR1KTHV5

and this one: http://www.amazon.com/Lion-Witch-Wardrobe-Radio-Theatre/dp/1589975030/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1366595454&sr=8-1&keywords=the+lion+the+witch+and+the+wardrobe+audiobook

anyone have any experience with them? I can't decided how to choose one.

Also -- what other books should i look at?

IMO I'd go with the $13 one, the other looks like it includes images that you can view on your computer - so that might explain its larger price.

Other books we have like:

Half Magic is great and performed by a full cast.

Hank the Cowdog is great as an audio - not so great as a book. It's not high-brow, but kids usually love Hank's antics.

Lots of the MaryPope Osborne books are available as compilations (multiple Magic Tree House Books on a disk)

I don't how long you will be gone, but our library has a 3 and 4 week loan - usually plenty of time to get them back. :)

ETA: oops - killed a kitten, I think. Fixed it. Hopefully kitty is chasing a ball of string now....

You should be able to hear samples of the narrators on Audible, and apparently without knowing I did something "right", i had bought a set that has the Michael York version - according to the powers that be here, I have the best versions!

Just So Stories was enjoyed here, Dr Dolittle, Pippi Longstocking are others that have been favorites!

We loved the Michael York version.

There are so many fantastic audiobooks, here are a few we enjoyed when my kids were younger, older ones loved them too.

Pollyanna

The Tale of Despereaux

The Hundred and One Dalmations

Five Children and It

Redwall

When we take a long trip I also try and get an easy listening book for my boys. They loved the How To Train Your Dragon books on audio, and the Gaurdians of Ga'Hoole series.

Yes, MIchael York is great.

Does your library have overdrive? I have gotten audiobooks for free on 21 day loan via overdrive. I put them on my phone and we listen to them in the car. If your car doesn't have a jack or usb input, you can burn them to cd.

For other books, you could just go through the Narnia Series. We've been doing that, though only the first two books (magician's nephew and lion, witch and wardrobe) so far.

I also got some Audio CDs from the library about composers that we've been listening to. The kids love it so far. I'd have to go out to the car to figure out exactly which one it is, though. But your library might have something similar.

ETA - Ok, they are these ones, and fabulous so far! My kids are so excited that John Williams is on the 2nd one and they get to learn about the guy who wrote the Star Wars music!

http://www.amazon.com/Famous-Composers-Darren-Henley/dp/9626343680/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1366695184&sr=8-3&keywords=more+famous+composers+henley

http://www.amazon.com/More-Famous-Composers-Darren-Henley/dp/B0017SXBQY/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1366695184&sr=8-2&keywords=more+famous+composers+henley

We are really fussy about our audiobook narrators. Top three are Jim Dale's Harry Potters, Rob Inglais's LOTR and David Tennant's How to Train Your Dragon. Also loved Sean Bean's King Arthur. The Lightning Thief series is well done though it isn't my favorite, the kids love them. Lots of books I love that I can't abide the narrators, which is sad.

My Father's Dragon trilogy, I think read by Jim Dale. We all liked it, plus my 11-year-old niece.

I get audiobooks from the library, honestly kind-of hit and miss. I like Lemony Snicket Series of Unfortunate Events, but my kids not so much. They like Magic Tree House but they are not my top choice.

Some of the audio books we've listened to in the past couple of years (we have long drives any time we go anywhere, so we cover a lot of audio books):

-Little Britches

-The Mouse and the Motorcycle and sequels, read by B. D. Wong

-Henry Huggins series, read by Neil Patrick Harris

-some of the Little House books, read by Cherry Jones (she's okay; her voice is a little too warm and enthusiastic in some parts, IMO, but still very good; boys might enjoy her reading of Farmer Boy)

-the Percy Jackson series (even my 4yo boy loves it)

-Encyclopedia Brown

-James Baikie's Peeps at Many Lands:Egypt (from librivox)

-multiple selections from librivox -- various Lang's fairy books, Our Island Story, Tales from Shakespeare (my kids especially like anything read by Kara Shallenberg)

-Treasure Island, read by Alfred Molina

-Winnie the Pooh and The House at Pooh Corner, read by Jim Broadbent

-some of the things by Jim Weiss (SOTW and some others), but my kids aren't big fans of his voice

Also, my kids have really loved several of the Focus on the Family Radio Theatre dramatizations, such as At the Back of the North Wind, Anne of Green Gables (well, DD; I'm not sure the boys listened to it), and the Legend of Squanto. They're very good and entertaining, so their production of Narnia is probably amazing. I'm not sure it's a full unabridged version, though; it may be more of a dramatization. So if you want an actual reading of the book, I'd probably go with the other one (Michael York, I think, though I don't know anything about it).

We are really fussy about our audiobook narrators. Top three are Jim Dale's Harry Potters, Rob Inglais's LOTR and David Tennant's How to Train Your Dragon. Also loved Sean Bean's King Arthur. The Lightning Thief series is well done though it isn't my favorite, the kids love them. Lots of books I love that I can't abide the narrators, which is sad.

I'm fussy too. I love Rob Inglais, David Tennant is wonderful, but Stephen Fry does a much better reading of Harry Potter than Jim Dales, in my humble opinion. Stephen brought the characters to life, where Jim put me to sleep! Different strokes for different folks!

We are all really enjoying the Ranger's Apprentice series with John Keating as the narrator. Even though it isn't "serious" reading, there is a teacher guide online at the Ranger's Apprentice website that I have printed off for some fun discussion questions over a meal or the like sometime soon. Could be a fun discussion in the car too if your kids are talkers like mine.

I am particular about narrators, too, so I can't stand Librivox and many of the booksshouldbefree versions. I am really loving my Audible subscription - you can work it to get some great deals!

When you join you get a free credit, and then if you try to cancel they'll offer you better deals, and they run 2-for-1 specials or buy-4-get-$10 credit specials. I got several of those $10 credits for buying 50-cent or 99-cent specials. I blogged a list of the free or cheap audio books you can get on Audible, and they are running a $10 credit when you buy 4 special right now (I think through today or tomorrow).

Agree with previous posters that the Focus on the Family dramatizations of the entire Narnia series are excellent. They are abridged (although some not greatly so—I think we followed along with one of the books once as we listened). They really add to the experience. We've listened to all of the CDs over and over again on car trips. They were worth the investment for us. It also looks like there are some clips you can listen to online?

Erica in OR

There is an audio version of D'Aulaire's Greek Myths that features Paul Newman and others reading, which is wonderful. Another of our perennial faves, in addition to what's already been listed is Dominic by William Steig. The story is enchanting and the reader is wonderful.

When my youngest was 6, we listened to Homer's Odyssey, unabridged, on a long car trip, and after reading him the McCaughrean version that year, he understood and loved the unabridged version.

Are you going to be buying all the audio books? If so, you may want to consider a subscription to Tales2Go for one year. It is a bit spendy but you can purchase through the Homeschoolbuyers' co-op (like I did) for up to 60% off. Although, it looks like this current group buy is not going to get a big discount, unfortunately. :( I was able to pick it up back in December for 60% off and I do think it is worth the cost.

You can go here and download the full list of all the books/stories they have available. My kids all listen to it (we have a subscription for 2 devices so they can listen at bed time in their rooms) and they have really enjoyed having the subscription.

I believe they offer either a 30 day free trial, so you could always sign up for that closer to when you will be leaving for your trip. It won't help you for all your trips throughout the year but perhaps for the first one or two? All you need is wi-fi to be able to download the story initially and then you are ok without wi-fi. You do need some sort of internet connection to get a new story but I do like the fact that it doesn't have to be connected the entire time for each book.

HTH!

There is an audio version of D'Aulaire's Greek Myths that features Paul Newman and others reading, which is wonderful. Another of our perennial faves, in addition to what's already been listed is Dominic by William Steig. The story is enchanting and the reader is wonderful.

When my youngest was 6, we listened to Homer's Odyssey, unabridged, on a long car trip, and after reading him the McCaughrean version that year, he understood and loved the unabridged version.

do you have a link, i could not find it :)

Readings From Under the Grapevine has all the Narnia books in mp3 format (?) for free. I can't speak to the quality of them as I haven't actually listened to the ones I downloaded. (The kids have, but I don't have any nearby to ask how they were.)

If you download Kindle for your PC or Mac from Amazon, you can get a bunch of classical books for free & then skip over to Audible from the links they give you & get the audiobook for free. (This is the same thing Mystie referred to & I linked to her blog post.)

My kids really enjoy the ones with multiple readers & some music, although they also enjoyed Jim Dale's Harry Potter readings.

• 3 weeks later...

Some of the audio books we've listened to in the past couple of years (we have long drives any time we go anywhere, so we cover a lot of audio books):

-Little Britches

-some of the Little House books, read by Cherry Jones (she's okay; her voice is a little too warm and enthusiastic in some parts, IMO, but still very good; boys might enjoy her reading of Farmer Boy)

-Encyclopedia Brown

-multiple selections from librivox -- various Lang's fairy books, Our Island Story, Tales from Shakespeare (my kids especially like anything read by Kara Shallenberg)

-some of the things by Jim Weiss (SOTW and some others), but my kids aren't big fans of his voice

i am thinking of getting this one (http://www.amazon.co...68833610&sr=1-1) -- wondering what age range you have had hear it -- my boys are 5 and 7

Thoughts:

The Swiss Family Robinson (unabridged)

or

Treasure Island (also unabridged)

I have The Merry Adventures of Robin Hood (Blackstone Audio Classic Collection) -- already waiting for the trip (2 7 to 8 hour days in the car)

DD's favorite narrator is Cherry Jones. She did Because of Winn-Dixie and the Little House on the Prairie books. I highly recommend her. Other favorites have been Stephen Fry (Paddington Bear), Stockard Channing (the Ramona books) and Jim Dale (lots of books, like Peter Pan and Harry Potter, to name a couple).

-Little Britches

-Encyclopedia Brown

Where did you find little britches?. I would love that audiobook!

They may enjoy James Herriots books. Christopher Timothy does a superb job on reading.

Haven't read all replies so don't know if it's been mentioned.

i am thinking of getting this one (http://www.amazon.co...68833610&sr=1-1) -- wondering what age range you have had hear it -- my boys are 5 and 7

Thoughts:

or

I have The Merry Adventures of Robin Hood (Blackstone Audio Classic Collection) -- already waiting for the trip (2 7 to 8 hour days in the car)

I don't know anything about that particular narrator for Treasure Island, as it's different from the one we have, but my DH read the unabridged version to our kids when they were about 5 and 8. He had to stop occasionally to explain things to the 5yo, but the 5yo LOVED it and for his sixth birthday asked for the audio version, which he's listened to several times. I just taught a co-op class on Treasure Island for 6-8yo boys, and they all enjoyed the book; none of them had read it themselves, but they'd had their parents read it aloud to them. So I think 5 and 7 yo's would like it a lot, although you may need to stop and recap or explain a few things. It is available as a free Kindle book too, which is how I read it (not really being a big audio book person myself), so you could preview it and see if you think it's too much for your boys or not. It's a little gory in a few spots, so I attempted to gloss over those parts a bit with my co-op class, but they were all into the gory stuff. I was like, "and someone got killed, and then what happened?" And they were like, "So-and-So got KILLED! And then Someone Else got KILLED!" LOL. :)

Hank the Cowdog is great as an audio - not so great as a book. It's not high-brow, but kids usually love Hank's antics.

I always recommend these audio books. We listen to them as we go around town. They are hilarious and light hearted. Always good for a giggle to break up a long car ride.

Thoughts:

or

We got this version of Treasure Island and love it. I couldn't stand to read or listen to The Swiss Family Robinson. We watched the movie.