Menu

ice cream cake???

HollyDay

Pick out what size/shape, cover pan in plastic wrap, spoon in softened ice cream and press into the shape of the pan - refreeze.

Remove frozen ice cream from pan wrap entire thing in plastic wrap, stick back in freezer.

Cook cake in same pan.

Cool cake.

Have you ever done a layered cake before? Same thing. You put the ice cream layer down, ice the entire thing quickly, place cake layer on top, ice the whole thing, stick back in freezer (may have to stick back in freezer multiple times during this process to curb melting). Then pull it out in small increments to do the decorative icing.

Drive to Baskin Robbins. Buy Cake. Drive home. Open box. Enjoy. ;)

That's what I had for my b-day this weekend.

But if you really want to make it...I've had 3 different types of ice cream cakes. 1) a layer of cake topped by a layer of ice cream and frosted. 2) a layer of ice cream sandwiched between a layer of cake that had been split in half, then frosted. 3) ice cream that had been frozen in a cake shape and frosted.

I like option 1 the best, but I think option 2 might be easier to make (because you don't have to put much frosting directly on the ice cream).

Here's how I would attempt it:

Bake a normal cake recipe in a 9x13 pan, then slice it in half horizontally (to create 2 layers).

Soften a container of ice cream, and press it into a wax paper-lined 9x13 pan. Make this layer thinner than a normal cake layer, and freeze it solid (like, turn your freezer as cold as it will go).

Layer the solidly frozen ice cream between the two layers of cake and frost it before returning to the freezer. If I were going to decorate it, I'd probably let the frosted cake sit in the freezer for a little while before pulling it back out and decorating it.

I've had both buttercream frosting and whipped topping frosting on ice cream cakes. Buttercream tastes better, but the whipped topping stuff has a better texture when it's frozen, and I bet it would be easier to work with, since it's not as stiff as buttercream.

I also had a Baskin Robbins cake for my birthday last week! Yummy. My son's birthday is this weekend and I am going to make one, but a little differently. My husband grew up having this kind - take a chocolate pie crust, drizzle the bottom with Hershey's chocolate syrup and put in softened ice cream flavor of choice. Drizzle top with more Hershey's syrup and freeze until ready. Granted, there's no CAKE in this cake, but nobody here has ever complained. :)

My dd's favorite ice cream cake

Crush a package of oreos. Place in bottom of pan.

Top with softened ice cream of your choice.

Place in freezer.

When frozen add layer of whip cream.

Put back in freezer.

To serve, place pan in larger pan of warm water to soften edges. slice and serve

I also had a Baskin Robbins cake for my birthday last week! Yummy. My son's birthday is this weekend and I am going to make one, but a little differently. My husband grew up having this kind - take a chocolate pie crust, drizzle the bottom with Hershey's chocolate syrup and put in softened ice cream flavor of choice. Drizzle top with more Hershey's syrup and freeze until ready. Granted, there's no CAKE in this cake, but nobody here has ever complained. :)

Mmmm. I think I'll have to make that for my un-birthday next weekend. :D

:iagree:

I frequently make ice cream pie when DH's friends come over. First I make a crust using whatever cookie fits best with the ice cream flavor--so far I've used Oreo, Nutter Butter, Chips Ahoy, and Sandies. Then I spread the softened ice cream and top with some flavor of Magic Shell and cookie chunks. It's always a big hit. You could easily make it in a 9x13 dish instead.

Sometimes we use rice crispy treats for the bottom layer, spoon in the softened ice cream, and freeze. Add a layer of stabilized whipped cream (easy, check recipe), I like the idea of the Magic Shell. It would be so good, easy and look fun. We use a spring form pan.

Oh, I may have the answer for you! Ice Cream SANDWICH cake!

All that you need to do is layer ice cream sandwiches--vanilla, neopolitan, mint chocolate chip, any flavor--with other goodies and it's awesome. Here is the one I made recently which was a huge hit:

Ice Cream Sandwich Cake

40 Ice Cream Sandwiches

1- 2 jars Hershey Ice Cream Fudge Topping

Crushed Oreos

1 large tub Cool Whip

1 tub Cool Whip Vanilla *Frosting*

Mini Chocolate Chips

Make a base in a pan or on a baking sheet of 20 ice cream sandwiches, 2 rows of 10 is easy.

Put the fudge topping, without lid, in the microwave for about 30 seconds. Spread on top of the ice cream sandwiches. (*It took almost a whole jar for one layer of this so next time I'll use 1 1/2 jars!).

Sprinkle crushed Oreos (about 20?) over the fudge.

Mix together the Cool Whip + Cool Whip Frosting and use half over top of the fudge and oreos.

Drizzle with a little more fudge to help the next layer "stick".

One more layer of 20 ice cream sandwiches.

Last half of Cool Whip mixture.

Sprinkle with chocolate chips.

Freeze at least 1 hour. Voila!

*What is awesome about this, other than being super easy, is that you can mix up layers in any way you want. Any cookies or crushed candies, caramel sauce instead of fudge, even chocolate Cool Whip, etc. You can easily cut this into 40 nice pieces following the ice cream sandwiches--cutting each one in half will give everyone a whole ice cream sandwich since there are 2 halves per piece. :o)

Dairy Queen also have Ice Cream Cakes - just fyi.

My one tip on any and all ice cream cakes is make sure you let them soften sufficiently before cutting. Nothing like a couple of guys working hard to cut up a frozen little girl's cake and have little pieces of frozen frosting fly.

My dd's favorite ice cream cake

Crush a package of oreos. Place in bottom of pan.

Top with softened ice cream of your choice.

Place in freezer.

When frozen add layer of whip cream.

Put back in freezer.

To serve, place pan in larger pan of warm water to soften edges. slice and serve

We do this but put a layer of chocolate syrup after the ice cream,. Toss into the freezer for a bit, then a layer of wool whip. To make putting together the ice cream part easier, I buy the paper cartons of ice cream and peel it open so just the ice cream is showing and slice it into slabs with a sharp knife, then press into a 9X13.

Guest suzihomemaker

How can you ALL be so wrong? I did Carvel for years, then Baskin Robbins, but now..oh my...Cold Stone has waaay better cakes then both of them. Sadly, however, economic conditions dictate that Cold Stone is definitely not in my budget any longer. So now...I make the cake. We tried that fakey whipped topping stuff but it leaves a nasty waxy coating on the tongue. We definitely prefer the texture of a REAL buttercream frosting to store bought chemical laden stuff. Wow, what a difference. Use quality ingredients and you will get a wonderful quality cake. I frost it on the day of, stick it back in the freezer until about 20 minutes before I am ready to serve, the frosting doesn't freeze. Sorry if that is not what you were looking for in an answer, though.

Dh's mom makes them this way--

Make two layers of cake, the way you normally would. Take them out of the pans to cool.

Clean out one pan, and then pack it with ice cream and freeze.

When frozen, layer cake, ice cream layer, cake. Frost quickly with either homemade buttercream or regular frosting from the can, or you can use Cool Whip. Go fast!

Put the whole thing back in the freezer.

Pull out for about 10 minutes right before serving.

Oh, I may have the answer for you! Ice Cream SANDWICH cake!

All that you need to do is layer ice cream sandwiches--vanilla, neopolitan, mint chocolate chip, any flavor--with other goodies and it's awesome. Here is the one I made recently which was a huge hit:

Ice Cream Sandwich Cake

40 Ice Cream Sandwiches

1- 2 jars Hershey Ice Cream Fudge Topping

Crushed Oreos

1 large tub Cool Whip

1 tub Cool Whip Vanilla *Frosting*

Mini Chocolate Chips

Make a base in a pan or on a baking sheet of 20 ice cream sandwiches, 2 rows of 10 is easy.

Put the fudge topping, without lid, in the microwave for about 30 seconds. Spread on top of the ice cream sandwiches. (*It took almost a whole jar for one layer of this so next time I'll use 1 1/2 jars!).

Sprinkle crushed Oreos (about 20?) over the fudge.

Mix together the Cool Whip + Cool Whip Frosting and use half over top of the fudge and oreos.

Drizzle with a little more fudge to help the next layer "stick".

One more layer of 20 ice cream sandwiches.

Last half of Cool Whip mixture.

Sprinkle with chocolate chips.

Freeze at least 1 hour. Voila!

*What is awesome about this, other than being super easy, is that you can mix up layers in any way you want. Any cookies or crushed candies, caramel sauce instead of fudge, even chocolate Cool Whip, etc. You can easily cut this into 40 nice pieces following the ice cream sandwiches--cutting each one in half will give everyone a whole ice cream sandwich since there are 2 halves per piece. :o)

This is a family favorite here!