Menu

Food Allergy help

bluemongoose

I am not a newbie to food allergies, but we have added newer allergies, and I need help finding non cross contaminated sources. DS tested positive for Peanuts (severe), pistachio, brazil nuts, walnuts and pecans (all highly, but not as bad as the peanuts). We have had some very bad reactions, so this was not a surprise. The surprise was that the allergist said he is severe enough to not use anything that says "may contain" or "manufactured on equipment that also processes".

He tested negative for almonds (also not a surprise as he eats them commonly without trouble) and seeds. His allergist wants him to have seeds and almonds 1-2x per week, but it has to be from clean sources. I cannot find anything but the Barneys Almond butter that is not cross contaminated with peanuts or other treenuts. I need a whole almond source (raw if possible), and other various seeds-sesame, sunflower, pumpkin, poppy etc.

Anybody know where I can find these? In the past I have used Bob's Red Mill, but it all says "manufactured on..."

Thanks!

Why does the allergist recommend this? I never heard of this approach (my peanut and tree nut-allergic ds avoids all tree nuts; he also happens to be allergic to sesame and sunflower)

Sunflower is easy - Sunbutter is produced at a peanut and tree nut free facility and is widely available at groceries and SuperTarget.

Thanks! I will look at the sites!

Wapiti-I believe it is because there are new theories that not eating the nut you are not allergic to makes it so that you become allergic to it later (if you are already allergic to other nuts). Since he is not allergic to almonds and seeds, the allergist wants to keep it that way. The trick is to find some that are not in danger of cross contamination! Not sure if I am making sense or not...I think I should go eat a snack :tongue_smilie:

Wapiti-I believe it is because there are new theories that not eating the nut you are not allergic to makes it so that you become allergic to it later (if you are already allergic to other nuts). Since he is not allergic to almonds and seeds, the allergist wants to keep it that way. The trick is to find some that are not in danger of cross contamination! Not sure if I am making sense or not...I think I should go eat a snack :tongue_smilie:

No, that makes sense, thanks!! (too late for my ds - he was only allergic to peanut until last summer, at 9 y.o.)

No sources for you, but I did want to say that your allergist's take is similar to our allergist's approach to allergies that DS has recently outgrown. DS is to eat those items 1 - 2 times a week to prevent allergies recurring.

Have you asked here for sources?

Oh, and come to think of it, both of our old allergists suggested the same regarding shellfish, despite DS never having an allergy. It is to prevent developing a new allergy. I'm going to guess he told us to do that in 2008 or 2009. Which reminds me, we need to get some crab into DS!

I'd be hesitant with sesame given a pistachio allergy. Was he negative to cashew? Those three share a protein and all have a very high risk of biphasic/severe anaphylaxis.

My tree nut ana son eats SunButter once or twice a week. I get Swanson's brand, which I like because it doesn't have added ingredients. It's made a peanut, tree nut free facility.

Also, I found this site with a quick search. It looks like a safe source for many of the seeds on your list (not sesame) http://mygerbs.net/

Coconut products from Tropical Traditions weren't produced on shared lines when I called--other coconut products all had cross contamination issues though they weren't all labeled with shared lines warning. When I called to ask about products produced on shared lines I was shocked. We lost almost all our regular foods when he had the tree nut/sesame allergy diagnosed.

I'd be hesitant with sesame given a pistachio allergy. Was he negative to cashew? Those three share a protein and all have a very high risk of biphasic/severe anaphylaxis.

My tree nut ana son eats SunButter once or twice a week. I get Swanson's brand, which I like because it doesn't have added ingredients. It's made a peanut, tree nut free facility.

He did test negative to cashew and sesame. He has not ever eaten cashews yet, so the allergist wants me to do a trial with him at the office later.

Good to know about the coconut. We eat a lot of that!

I've also read about the connection between cashew/pistachio/sesame.

Our son had a biphasic anaphylaxis to cashew & we've been nut free since then.

This book (Understanding and Managing Your Child's Food Allergies) has a list of what is likely to cross-react.

We have asked about coconut and have been told we don't need to avoid it.

We have been told to avoid sesame.

Some things I have read say that tests have shown more contaminants in "processed on shared equipment" notes than in "may contain" notes. We avoid foods that have either note.

They seem to keep changing recommendations as they do more research with food allergies. I'm hopeful that there'll be treatments by the time my son is in college or soon after. Hope you find some good nut sources!

I have relatives who live near almond farms, and they seem to only be growing almonds. I searched online for almond farms. I found several that sell directly to the public, and almonds are all they sell. For example (just picking one, not recommending it in particular) http://homegrownalmonds.com/ which says their almonds are 100% peanut free. I wonder if you could contact them to confirm, and order directly. If you keep them in the freezer, they should stay fresh for a while, and if you really want to be sure, it may be worth the cost for you. It's $4.50 for 8 oz. plus shipping.

I am not sure what seeds you are looking for, but maybe you will have an easier time with those, at least the sunflower seeds.

I wish you all the best.

We buy Davids brand sunflower seeds, already shelled. I also just found sunflower seeds from Walmart that are also not cross-contaminated. That would be the only options I've found locally. We were going to Menards once a month just to buy sunflower seeds since they are the only place I could find that carry them once my usual store discontinued them.

For almonds, I am no help as my DS is allergic to those.

Yep in my multi LTFA house we avoid all tree nuts and peanuts but my kids can eat almonds but have to eat them every 2-3 days to avoid developing an allergy to them. In our case the kids allergist said that although he would not normally recomend it our diet is so limited by allergens that thebennifits out weigh the risks. We drink blue diamond almond milk to make sure the kids are getting some every other day or so. Do your own research as ymmv regarding contamination... but it works for us.

Almonds are a real blessing for us but I am still truing to suss out products we can use. I will be looking in to the almond butter you memtion in your op.

Ds has a severe pecan/tree nut allergy (he is also allergic to peanuts, but not as severely), but is not allergic to almonds. I have not been able to find a source for almonds that is not possibly cross-contaminated, so please do share if you find a source that is available online!

If you have a food processor you can make almond butter yourself, I believe that Blue Diamond almonds are other nut free. My ds is allergic to sunflowers as well as peanuts, and we haven't tried or tested for other nuts yet, but we know he's ok with almonds (drinks almond milk due to cow milk allergy) so I've recently found a couple nut free products made from brown peas, sounds gross, but they're actually pretty good, they're called "No Nuts" and "Peabut Nutter". They are made from a legume obviously, but they are nut free, so if your ds can tolerate legumes, this is an option. Also, SunButter is pretty good, and nut free- my ds turned out to have a sunflower seed allergy too, so it's out for us. We are completely peanut/nut free in our house besides almonds, and it's not too hard once you get used to it, although I have heard that Canada has better labeling laws than the states. Good Luck! :)

LittleIzumi-Is your almond butter machine next to the peanut butter machine? Ours is, and I have actually seen people fill containers with both. Call me paranoid, but I would be afraid that they might touch the nozzle with their peanut butter. I also have no way of knowing if the almonds are cross contaminted. Ours has no such warning! I am glad your area does though...I am sure that makes it much easier!

Rae-I have a vitamix, so I could make my own. I can get the barneys butter premade, so I would need to figure out how much the price difference would be once I find a nonCC source of almonds to compare prices with. I will look into Blue Diamond! Thanks! And as for the peabutter, I am sure that would be interesting to try sometime, but right now we are trying to find ways to keep seeds and almonds in his diet so that he doesnt become allergic to them. Sunbutter and almond butter have been easily found. I just need to find whole seed and almond choices to bake with and to serve raw! Allergies suck :glare: