Menu

Sewing machine recommendations anyone?

StaceyinLA

Dd is interested in doing some sewing, possibly items to sell on etsy, as well as baby clothing and diapers.

I am looking to surprise her with a machine, but need a recommendation for a good one that is fairly inexpensive. I'd like it to have SOME cool features, but it doesn't need anything super fancy at this point.

I'm hoping to buy from Amazon and have shipped directly to her.

Ideas?

I would not buy her one from amazon. For the best bang for your buck, go to your local sewing/vac repair shop. They will sell the machines traded in. You will get a better machine for the money and often one with more features for the buck than your cheap new one. Often they will ship it for you (sometimes free or very discounted). Or call any sewing/vac repair shops near her and see what they have used.

What sort of cool features? I have a 40 year old singer sewing machine that is miles better than any other machine I've had in the past few years even some pretty pricey machines. It sounds amazing and is so solid and just effortlessly works. The only thing cool about it (in a retro way)are the bright yellow flowers on the front. I have sewn a lot of diapers and found that a machine with a good deal of guts is pretty important as you are often sewing elastic into lots of layers and a lot of modern machines don't cope well.

There should be a sticky on this question. :D Basically, search for a used Singer. One that's at least 40 years old and all metal. $50-$100 should get a good one. I got one free with a ten dollar sewing table. Then take it to a repair shop and have them tune it and check the wiring for about $50. Then your daughter will have a solid machine that will last longer then a new machine.

I absolutely agree with everyone above who suggested a solid, used model. You only need a straight stitch, a zig-zag, and the ability to reverse. Everything else is gravy. You will get *so* much more quality for your money if you go used/vintage. Those machines were designed to last a woman's lifetime and beyond.

Save your money, though - if she is serious about sewing, especially for resale, she'll want a serger and perhaps a coverstitch machine, both of which will be significantly more expensive than the $100 or so you'll spend on a quality vintage sewing machine.

I sew on a vintage '70's Kenmore I got from a neighbor's trash, and an amazing serger (Babylock Imagine) that was an absolute steal at around $1K. I'm very happy with both machines!

Go to a sew and vac shop! Also, don't waste money on a cheap Walmart type machine. Low end Singers and Brothers are a waste of money. Either buy a used, refurbished machine or spring for a higher end machine. I have a love affair with my Bernina.

There should be a sticky on this question. :D Basically, search for a used Singer. One that's at least 40 years old and all metal. $50-$100 should get a good one. I got one free with a ten dollar sewing table. Then take it to a repair shop and have them tune it and check the wiring for about $50. Then your daughter will have a solid machine that will last longer then a new machine.

I'd put my mid-70s Viking up against any Singer! All metal, weighs about as much as a car, lovely burnt orange color (so trendy back then!). Plus it has cams so you can have all sorts of stitches -- yep, you change out the cams by hand when you want to change stitches beyond straight and zigzag. Has a low gear so it can power through layers of denim.

And, like justaque, I have a Babylock Imagine I got on a fantastic sale for about $1K. (It's like we're sewing machine twins!) I love the combo.

I should be sewing right now, as a matter of fact, as I'm in the middle of making costumes for Seussical.

To make diapers and clothing to sell, she would need a serger in addition to a good machine. You can zig zag/overlock (brain mush--there's a word I'm looking for but can't find) the seams for personal items, but if you look at listings on etsy you'll see "all seams professionally finished" or similar. Diapers require stitching through several layers of heavy fabric, and I would get a workhorse machine for that. You can find recs on diaper sewing forums. There are some Brothers on amazon that would be great for sewing your own baby clothes or what have you. I bought my stepmother one that she uses for quilting and has been really pleased. I based the purchase on the reviews. I bought my sewing machine (also a Brother, but a higher end model) from a large sewing store. It's pretty sturdy but diapers are a whole 'nother animal from clothes. The fabric is thick and linty as heck, so there's more wear and tear on the machines. You want one that you can clean easily and frequently. :)

I'm trying to remember where I read about diaper sewing. I researched it and then decided just to buy mine instead! :)

Thanks for all the input! I'm having her look in her area right now. I think this is something where she needs to see if she'll even have the time for this before spending a ton of money.

She actually already has a serger - my aunt gave it to her some years back when she was a sewing helper for a lady who made draperies. We will be bringing that to her next month when we go visit.

I have had this one for about 2.5 years and LOVE it:

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Brother-Computerized-Sewing-and-Embroidery-Machine-SE-400/14237607?_mm=

You can absolutely find them cheaper. I think I paid $284.00

If she doesn't want/need the embroidery, they have a similar machine for much less money without it.

I highly disagree with the comment that she needs a ridiculously expensive machine in order to sell anything. The machine I have has about 65 different stiches (in addition to the computerized embroidery) and countless feet that can be purchased. I make my own clothes and people are amazed at the finishing details I can complete that make the clothes look professional. Many people think what I make for X-Mas and birthday gifts are purchased and not home-made.

If I'm not mistaken she's in the Hampton Roads area now right? I would have her check out the Tidewater Sew and Vac shops. They have shops all throughout the HR area and the staff is very helpful in all the ones I've been in.

I'm jealous of the ladies that got their Babylock imagines for $1K. Mine wasn't quite that much of a deal.

Thanks for all the input! I'm having her look in her area right now. I think this is something where she needs to see if she'll even have the time for this before spending a ton of money.

She actually already has a serger - my aunt gave it to her some years back when she was a sewing helper for a lady who made draperies. We will be bringing that to her next month when we go visit.

If it hasn't been used in a while, you could get it cleaned and serviced for her so it's oiled and happy and ready to stitch. :)

About 9 years ago I bought an entry level Viking and I love it still. It was a special edition which came with a few nice upper level stitches, but it is not an embroidery machine. I paid about $500. I agree with OPs - check local stores. Seems like I have seen a discussion before about some sellers on Amazon selling refurbished machines without warranties that turn out to be total lemons. Also I live near Atlanta and every year there are 2 sewing conventions - one for sewing and one for quilting. After the show, they sell the machines at a greatly reduced price. That might be a nice way to get a slightly used machine at a great price. HTH

I'm jealous of the ladies that got their Babylock imagines for $1K. Mine wasn't quite that much of a deal.

I should add that I only got that amazing price because my parents are long-time friends with the shop owner, and they have, for one reason and another, purchased rather a lot of machines from the shop over the years.

I couldn't find one for anywhere near that on my own.