Menu

IEW...worth the money?

SeeSchells

I am a little spoiled by having state funding to support my curriculum habit ;) But starting in the fall we are taking the leap and flying solo! While I am thrilled to finally be out from under the state's thumb, I am a little nervous about financing our little school! I have to be really choosy on where/how I spend my money. Having said all that...do you think IEW is worth the money? I would be starting it with my 10 year old who is "technically" going into 5th grade. He is a reluctant reader/speller/writer...but has a very vivid imagination and is full of stories! I would then use it with my two girls later on down the road.

I just started using IEW this year and I love it. It provides a road map on how to develop good writing, starting with outlining. I did not use TWSS just SWI-A but I was able to follow along and help dd just fine. I would love to get TWSS at sometime, I just did not have the money for it. Next year I will be continuing with SICC -A and I will probably continue all through middle and high school with IEW.

If you want to do a theme pack I suggest getting TWSS (the teacher training ) and the theme pack. SWI is awesome, but isn't necessary if you're dedicated to teaching the writing. TWSS would give you the method and the theme pack would line up all the lessons for you. SWI is great if you're not comfortable doing the teaching right away since Andrew does that for you and you just have to facilitate.

As to is IEW worth the money, ABSOLUTELY. They have one of the best refund policies out there. 100% money back no matter what as long as you buy it directly from them. I had something we used for 2 lessons and then it sat on my shelf for almost 2 years, and they let me return it no questions asked.

Here is my IEW story. I began looking at it at the convention about 12 years ago with my oldest son. I kept walking away because of the price and it seemed confusing. 2 years ago, I looked at it again for my dd. with the help of some friends, we bought TWSS and SWI B. Oh my goodness... Why did I wait so long??? Now, I never actually used the TWSS and we could have skipped that. We just used the SWI B and that was amazing. We continued on to SICC B and ave been very happy. Okay, I also need to say that of the 3 of us who bought it together, 1 family dropped it. Her boys hated it. I honestly think they won't like anything that requires work though. Anyway, for us, worth every penny.

IEW= Institute for Excellence in Writing (www.iew.com)

TWSS= Teaching Writing: Structure and Style

SWI= Student Writing Intensive (there are 3 levels which correspond to the students reading ability when they do the program more than anything else)

SICC= Student writing Intensive Continuation Course (this is where you go after your first SWI if you used one (you start with the SICC of the same letter level) and the progress through the remaining SICC levels)

If there are any others you'd like to know just drop me a line.

What level should a student barely forming paragraphs (and not great ones) start with? I bought SWI A, but now I see parents of older reluctant writers starting with SWI B....

Worried, lol.

The advice I heard is to choose the level which aligns with your child's reading level. IOW the paragraphs that they make KWOs from should not be a stretch for them to read. SWI-B goes further and faster introducing dress-ups and sentence openers and, I think, further in the units. If not, SWI-A will work fine for your child. You can move as quickly or slowly through it as you need to. If your dd is ready, and finishes early, you can intro the other dress-ups, etc over the remainder of the year.

It has been worth every penny here. I first tried IEW with my oldest Dd as a sophmore in high school. She loved it. We have used TWSS, SWI-C, High school Essay Intensive (excellent prep for the SAT essay) SWI-A and currently SICC-A with my younger dc. My oldest's first year at university is the programs greatest testimonial for me. She uses the key word outline model for all of her papers and reports. It helps her quickly understand what she knows and what she needs to research further. Also, her papers are composed well and it is due to this program. She has been asked if she is a writing major many times. My younger dc are enjoying working through as well. I am glad they are starting younger. The return policy from the company is excellent. I haven't seen anything else like it. Also resale is good if you were to buy used.

One more thought to add- My daughter always liked to write but this program helped her organize and see her writing in a way that has added to and perfected what she writes. I am seeing the same with my younger two as well.

It has been worth every penny here. I first tried IEW with my oldest Dd as a sophmore in highschool. She loved it. We have used TWSS, SWI-C, Highschool Essay Intensive (excellent prep for the SAT essay) SWI-A and currently SICC-A with my younger dc. My oldests first year at university is the programs greatest testimonial for me. She uses the key word outline model for all of her papers and reports. It helps her quickly understand what she knows and what she needs to research further. Also, her papers are composed well and it is due to this program. She has been asked if she is a writing major many times. My younger dc are enjoying working through as well. I am glad they are starting younger. The return policy from the company is excellent. I haven't seen anything else like it. Also resale is good if you were to buy used.

What age did you start your younger kids with SWI A?

Agreeing with all the PPs. Great responses.

Also, IMO, a good writing curriculum that gets done is *always* worth the investment and for me it is the subject that is the most important. I resisted IEW for a good while, but after trying it, I'm totally a believer. :coolgleamA: I've found that writing is most often the subject where we "get what we pay for". I'll scrimp on everything else except writing curricula. When I've spent less money on other writing programs, I've usually been disappointed.

It was MORE than worth the $ for my family! I did the same as Kari C and kept not purchasing because the price is so high and our homeschool budget is not. I tried a couple different curriculum (WWE and RS) and they didn't work for my oldest. He was in tears just at the thought of writing.

I took the plunge for this school year, somewhat out of desperation, but also because I had Amazon gift cards from swagbucks. I only regret that I didn't do it sooner. His writing has improved in leaps and bounds!!! That improvement started with his attitude from the very first assignment. He is actually excited about writing...which I had thought would NEVER happen.

I used SWI-A because of his reluctance/difficulty in writing and so I could have his younger brother do the same work. That is my only regret. I wish I had gone with SWI-B. I now know they both could have done the next level up. I can not afford the SICCs this year and am going to try WWS, and, looking through that book, I believe he should do very well because of his one year with IEW. If not I will scrimp and save to make IEW happen. His younger brother is going to do the Ancients book with IEW. I don't own the TWSS we will see how we manage.

One cool thing...IEW is now located in my town!

Quick question (again).

DD11 is starting at a parochial (Catholic) school this fall. Her writing needs work. I ordered SWI A, but I did see the reply that said they wished they had gone with SWI B, even for their reluctant writer. I have time to change my order before it ships - should I change my order to SWI B?

Quick question (again).

DD11 is starting at a parochial (Catholic) school this fall. Her writing needs work. I ordered SWI A, but I did see the reply that said they wished they had gone with SWI B, even for their reluctant writer. I have time to change my order before it ships - should I change my order to SWI B?

My DS did SWI-B as a (previously) very writing-reluctant just-turned 10 year old (strong reader, young 5th grader) and then the ancients theme set, and I don't regret doing it that way. Personally, I think IEW's recommended ages are a bit off. Level B was fine for my 5th grader. A younger child or one who has a harder time with reading, I'd recommend level A.

There are lengthy (~ 25 page) samples on IEW's website. Have you looked at those to check for your DD's appropriate placement level? There is some overlap between A and B too. Sample SWI A

Sample SWI B

Quick question (again).

If she is at least an average reader for her grade level then yes I would go with B. The only real difference between the two is the reading level of the source texts used and the pace of B moves a little quicker, but you can always slow it down if needed by doing more supplemental assignments using paragraphs you find on your own.

I'd call them and switch it. They are excellent to deal with.

I didn't need much convincing and you all have pushed me over the edge! If we have to make cuts elsewhere, I am going to make this happen! I am hoping to get the teacher training used or borrow if I can. Now I just need to figure out what level to get for my son. He will be 10 next month, and according to the charter in the 5th grade. However, he reads about a 3rd grade level. He is working hard to improve but it just doesn't come easy for him. Probably SWI A?? Or if I get the training then the Ancient themed pack? I am a huge believer in good writing. I plan on using Total Lang. Plus for him next year, but really felt the need to beef up the writing. We currently are doing Writeshop Jr. D. Its not bad, but just not quite right for us.

These are such glowing endorsements. I had always avoided even looking at IEW because it seemed so complicated. I start looking at the videos now and try to figure it out.

IEW= Institute for Excellence in Writing (www.iew.com)

TWSS= Teaching Writing: Structure and Style

SWI= Student Writing Intensive (there are 3 levels which correspond to the students reading ability when they do the program more than anything else)

SICC= Student writing Intensive Continuation Course (this is where you go after your first SWI if you used one (you start with the SICC of the same letter level) and the progress through the remaining SICC levels)

If there are any others you'd like to know just drop me a line.

Thank you!

I didn't need much convincing and you all have pushed me over the edge! If we have to make cuts elsewhere, I am going to make this happen! I am hoping to get the teacher training used or borrow if I can. Now I just need to figure out what level to get for my son. He will be 10 next month, and according to the charter in the 5th grade. However, he reads about a 3rd grade level. He is working hard to improve but it just doesn't come easy for him. Probably SWI A?? Or if I get the training then the Ancient themed pack? I am a huge believer in good writing. I plan on using Total Lang. Plus for him next year, but really felt the need to beef up the writing. We currently are doing Writeshop Jr. D. Its not bad, but just not quite right for us.

Yes from what you describe SWI-A would be great for him . My dd is 11 and reads about the same level and she's found SWI-A to be fun. You don't want to bump the level up and frustrate them. This shouldn't be about challenging the reading, it's about the writing.

If you don't want to do an SWI then the TWSS with ancients theme pack should be good.

These are such glowing endorsements. I had always avoided even looking at IEW because it seemed so complicated. I start looking at the videos now and try to figure it out.

Thank you!

I'm glad I could help, if you have any questions post away and I'll do my best to answer them.

We got TWSS and use theme guides. I'm loving it. My dd is loving itas well and seems to enjoy writing more than what we were doing before. I say money well spent. I've watched some of the videos more than once to review and I'm sure ill do it again next year. I plan to use this for at least three to four more years.

I'll answer slightly differently since the others said all the important things already.

And different than the obvious answer which is if you don't like it, you'll think it's not worth the money, but if you do, it will seem worth it.

What I would say, like the program or not, is you won't feel you got ripped off slightly or what you get is a bunch of padded out fluffed up notmuchingness. There is a lot there, extremely elaborated and thought out. it is rigorous and substantial. It's meaty, etc. You might not like it, but it is substantial.

We are very, very happy with it -- I'm using SWI-A with an accelerated 7.5 yo. He is not a "natural" writer. I began him in IEW when his reading was good enough to handle the passages (3rd grade level or so) and when he could physically write a couple of sentences without too much complaint. His papa is so happy with & impressed by A.'s progress in the couple months we've used it.

My DH is a scientist who writes a good many grants and papers, and while his writing is "good" and adequate to the task, he finds that he is not as strong a writer as he'd like. He's a great speaker, but it seems clear to him that he is not able to put thoughts as convincingly on the page as he can in a talk. DH spent a good deal of time training in debate; but he never received that level of training in writing, and is not naturally a snazzy writer. So I think he's extremely pleased to see A. being taught writing very explicitly from a young age. In fact, it's the first element of our classical education that's struck DH as really worthwhile! (he is not sold on the importance of Latin yet)

I did start this knowing that the child's writing may get overly formal -- that is, sound a bit stilted b/c of following the paradigm -- before it loosens up into something more naturally sophisticated. So I am okay with a year -- or a few years -- of awkwardness from following the pattern, before A. branches out into the higher levels of IEW. I also started a bit early b/c I'm hoping to either switch to WWS at some point, or interleave it, and I wanted to allow room to cement our IEW progress before moving to/incorporating WWS. My goal of WWS is largely influenced by my reading of lewelma's (Ruth in NZ's) posts on writing programs.

It didn't work out here, but they are an amazing company--their return policy is incredible and what tipped the scales for me to try it. I'm sure I would have always wondered if I hadn't! I'm still very interested in Teaching the Classics and may give that a try. Essentials in Writing has been a much better fit for writing here. Hope you find something that's a good fit for you! Merry :-)

What level should a student barely forming paragraphs (and not great ones) start with? I bought SWI A, but now I see parents of older reluctant writers starting with SWI B....

Worried, lol.

DS started with ATFF, which is A level. We have no regrets. He'll start a B level next year, and he is totally prepared.

I had to break the program down and provide a broad overview of the IEW writing system. Each lesson adds a little something new, and he saw no purpose to the writing assignments until he properly understood the end game.

I just started using IEW this year and I love it. It provides a road map on how to develop good writing, starting with outlining. I did not use TWSS just SWI-A but I was able to follow along and help dd just fine. I would love to get TWSS at sometime, I just did not have the money for it. Next year I will be continuing with SICC -A and I will probably continue all through middle and high school with IEW.

I agree. We recently started SWI-A with my 12 year old twins and I wish had made the leap sooner. I was hesitant about the price at first, but I figured I had nothing to lose because of their guarantee We will most likely continue through middle and high school as well.