Menu

if anyone remembers my IUD dilemma...

ktgrok

I previously tried to have one put in by my beloved midwife, with no success. The first time my cervix couldn't be visualized, although she tried. My uterus tends to go VERY forward, which makes it really hard to see my cervix. I have had pap smears in the past where the doctor had to get on his knees to find my cervix. So we tried again, with me taking 4 ibuprofen first, and her manipulating things, etc etc. It WAS HORRID. My cervix and uterus cramped so badly it was like I was in labor...I felt like I had to push. And she couldn't get it in, my cervix was closed so tightly that it would have been excruciating she said. WEll, it already WAS excruciating, so yeah..no. I told her to stop.

I waited a few months, and yesterday went to the OB/GYN office that I've used in the past and talked to one of the doctors. He says he has put in more IUD's than most doctors in the area, maybe the most. He said we will try it with me taking 2 alieve first, but if it is an issue we have several options, including an IM injection of pain meds, a cervical block where they inject the cervix with lidocaine, all the way up to doing it in the OR with me under sedation. So it looks like this WILL get done, lol. The other option at this point is for husband to have a vasectomy and I'm just not willing to go there yet.

Oh, and after a lot of discussion I'm going to try the Mirena instead of the copper IUD. The reason is that he really does see most women have heavy periods with the copper one, that longer. And I have an issue with anemia...I'm borderline normal on my best days. So I'm concerned the heavy bleeding would not be a good idea. Whereas the lack of bleeding with the Mirena, if I have that side effect, might really help. And 5 years should be plenty long enough...at that point I'll be 42 and willing for either hubby or myself to do something permanent..

Anyway, thought I'd update my continuing birth control saga :)

My experience getting the Mirena put in the first time was very painful. I walked out of the university clinic where I had it done swearing I'd never get one again.

I did, however, but had an OB more experienced do it the next time--and having fully dialated with my second labor probably helped as well, I never did with DD before the C-section.

Ouch! I hope his solutions work for you.

I've had both Mirena and Paragard. Like you, I have recurrent issues with anemia, so I chose Mirena. Instead of having a period once a month, I bled every day. After 18 months of that I had had enough. I swapped it for a Paragard and my periods were normal. My sister has the exact same issue with Mirena and wishes she'd gotten a Paragard instead. She also has issues with anemia. I was bummed that Mirena didn't work for me. :-/

I just got a Paragard after failing to convince dh to get snipped. :glare:

The insertion was actually relatively painless, certainly no worse than the biopsy I had done a few months ago. My GYN does them under u/s guidance, which was very useful since my uterus is tipped. The worst part was how hard the u/s tech had to press in order to see my uterus. I drove myself home, and within a few hours, was in a tremendous amount of pain, equivalent to early labor. I took 2400 mg ibuprofen AND 1500 mg Tylenol over the course of the day, and it didn't even touch the pain! Finally, I dug up an old bottle of Tylox from when I had a c/s with my oldest. There were only 2 left, but that was enough to get me through the night and into the next day. I continued to hurt for a couple days, but it was more like a really painful period than labor by that point.

By day 4, the pain was all gone, and I'm grateful to have made the choice I did. Hormonal birth control was not good for me, and I already have one condom baby (#3). I figure this should see me through to menopause.

I have a similar problem, badly tilted uterus. My last RE appointment we did a Pap test and IUI (we're ttc with IF) and my dr had to get on his knees to do it as my cervix was tilted so forward. I had the nurse in there with me, which made me feel better, but it was not pleasant.

Shudder. I am glad the one I had back in 2006 went in fairly easily. You have some mighty big ovaries that you are willing to try again after 2 bad experiences.

If I could think of a better option I'd take it. But we really don't want to get pregnant right now, for various reasons. Husband is saying he's done, finances/house say we are done, and I'm nursing my son and can't afford to have my milk dry up. I have one baby from the pill, and one NFP baby (4 days before ovulation and zero cervical mucus!), we've had condoms break and hubby no longer trusts them, and I'm not willing to use anything with a low success rate (diaphragm, etc), or do anything permanent. So...that leaves IUD.

Good Heavens! I don't even have a cervix anymore, and that story gave me phantom pains!

Were I in your shoes, I'd probably ask them to just knock me out.

The Dr. really wants to try once without doing that, but promised he will stop if it is painful. So my guess is this will be what happens.

I'm not willing to use anything with a low success rate (diaphragm, etc), or do anything permanent. So...that leaves IUD.

Have you considered Depo Provera injections?

I used them between my kids and chose this method over the IUD after our last baby. It is safe while breast feeding and lasts for 3 months at a time. There is the hassle of going into the office 4 times a year for the injection, but that's it. As long as you get the injection on time (within the week before it is due), it is very reliable, with no daily pills to remember!

I was this close to getting an IUD, since we are now done and wanted something more long-term, but not permanent. After being warned about how painful the insertion could be (I had just had a baby and was not interested in any more of that kind of pain, thanks), and that the IUD can perforate the uterus and get lost in the body, and that pregnancy is still possible, but dangerous with the IUD still in place, I decided to stick with my trusty old hormone shots. I wasn't thrilled with the idea of a foreign object floating around inside my body ( with strings I was supposed to "feel for" periodically, no less) anyway.

An option to consider if you haven't already, and if you tolerate hormonal BC.

Have you considered Depo Provera injections?

I used them between my kids and chose this method over the IUD after our last baby. It is safe while breast feeding and lasts for 3 months at a time. There is the hassle of going into the office 4 times a year for the injection, but that's it. As long as you get the injection on time (within the week before it is due), it is very reliable, with no daily pills to remember!

I was this close to getting an IUD, since we are now done and wanted something more long-term, but not permanent. After being warned about how painful the insertion could be (I had just had a baby and was not interested in any more of that kind of pain, thanks), and that the IUD can perforate the uterus and get lost in the body, and that pregnancy is still possible, but dangerous with the IUD still in place, I decided to stick with my trusty old hormone shots. I wasn't thrilled with the idea of a foreign object floating around inside my body ( with strings I was supposed to "feel for" periodically, no less) anyway.

An option to consider if you haven't already, and if you tolerate hormonal BC.

I tried it many years ago. The high level of hormones made me horribly depressed. In fact it was the only time in my whole life I've ever been depressed. I'm naturally a very happy and content person and that just messed me up something awful. So no...not an option I'm afraid. Lower level of hormones I do ok with. I loved my Nuva ring, but not compatible with breastfeeding, so I haven't been able to use it in years.

Yikes! We need to find a way to encourage scientists/companies to come up with better non-hormonal methods. I think the reversible "vasectomy" being developed in India looks interesting. They insert a chemical into the man that disables the sperm. It can be easily removed years later if the man wants more children.

Agreed! I looked into this and even was considering flying DH to India for it, but they are only using it on citizens of India. Totally wish it was here.

I tried it many years ago. The high level of hormones made me horribly depressed... I loved my Nuva ring, but not compatible with breastfeeding, so I haven't been able to use it in years.

Just brainstorming, here... If you tried the Depo years ago, you might want to check and see if it might have been reformulated since then. Hormone levels in BC have been reduced over the years, so the same could be true of Depo. Can't hurt to look into it.

Either way, do you think you could tolerate the Depo just until you finish breast feeding? Then you could switch back to the Nuva Ring once your baby weans. Just a thought.

Just brainstorming, here... If you tried the Depo years ago, you might want to check and see if it might have been reformulated since then. Hormone levels in BC have been reduced over the years, so the same could be true of Depo. Can't hurt to look into it.

Either way, do you think you could tolerate the Depo just until you finish breast feeding? Then you could switch back to the Nuva Ring once your baby weans. Just a thought.

No....not willing to chance it. It was REALLY bad. REALLY bad. And if it was bad again I'd be stuck for 3 months as it works out of my system. If I have a bad reaction to the IUD it can be removed. But thanks.

Also, as much as I love the Nuva ring a coworker got pregnant with it, which has DH scared.

No....not willing to chance it. It was REALLY bad. REALLY bad. And if it was bad again I'd be stuck for 3 months as it works out of my system. If I have a bad reaction to the IUD it can be removed. But thanks.

Also, as much as I love the Nuva ring a coworker got pregnant with it, which has DH scared.

I can see how that would be scary! Because if you are using the nuvaring, it is probably hard to use it incorrectly, right? It just slips in and stays there for a month.

I can see how that would be scary! Because if you are using the nuvaring, it is probably hard to use it incorrectly, right? It just slips in and stays there for a month.

right. I mean, it wasn't user error. My pill baby I blame on user error. I sort of blame the NFP baby on user error (no cervical mucus, and 4 days prior to ovulation SEEMED safe...but 5 days is technically the window). Figuring I can't mess up the IUD.

right. I mean, it wasn't user error. My pill baby I blame on user error. I sort of blame the NFP baby on user error (no cervical mucus, and 4 days prior to ovulation SEEMED safe...but 5 days is technically the window). Figuring I can't mess up the IUD.

That's the term I was trying to think of...user error!

I wish you the best in getting this settled. Can you take your DH or a friend to hold your hand the next time the doc tries?

I've had luck with NuvaRing after baby is 6 months without negatively affecting milk supply. I am using it now and until a couple of weeks ago, I was tandem nursing my 4.5 year old (who just weaned with some encouragement) and my 2 year old, plus I pump to donate. I don't think I'm some kind of super milk producer, either. Just something you might want to consider. I have not had a problem with supply--but I wouldn't use it until at least 6 months postpartum (after LAM is no longer reliable).