Menu

Geography study for the younger set? (moved from Gen Ed forum)

We do geography with history and I just bought an Evan-Moor book, but I am hoping to fond something more comprehensive for youngers. I love Beautiful Feet's study, but it is a bit too old for dd. We could adapt it, but would rather save it for later. Anything else I could consider? This is something I would do 1x or 2x weekly over the course of a year. TIA!

Geography Matters - it's all really good stuff. One of the trail guides might be good.

I was actually looking at this last night, thanks!

Have you looked at Galloping the Globe or Cantering the County? Both are unit study type geography programs geared toward the elementary aged child. We used these this year with our co-op and also used the lapbooks that go along with each. So much fun!

Sue-

I cannot see pages of the lapbook, can you tell me if I need all of the supplemental books the guide seems to suggest? I really don't want to buy a zillion other books. Thanks!

I will be using Cantering the Country and Galloping the Globe with ds9 this upcoming school year. I highly recommend them.

I was wondering about Galloping the Globe compared to Ex. Earth (from confessions of a homeschooler) I don't know if you can help me with that or not, but I figured I would ask! Also this would be more for 1st grade. Thanks

I was wondering about Galloping the Globe compared to Ex. Earth (from confessions of a homeschooler) I don't know if you can help me with that or not, but I figured I would ask! Also this would be more for 1st grade. Thanks

I'm not familiar with Ex. Earth, but I did just read about it online to try to answer your question. IMO Ex. Earth seems to be more open & go with extras included, whereas you would be putting together things yourself with GtG. I have lots of geography extras already, so GtG is a better fit for us.

I have both GTG and Ex Earth, I prefer EE. I love having the pdf, I can print out the lesson plan and make my own notes all over it. We don't follow her 5-day schedule, so I use her list as more of a checklist and I add my own. I like the lapbook, and we've added our own things to it. I like the animals supplement, we like to look up more info about the animals. I like that there are maps and flag pages in pdf and I don't have to get out my GTG cd to print. I like that there are art projects, activities linked right in the pdf. I like that I can go to her blog and see posts about each country with these activities demonstrated ( I also always check Homeschool Creations). These are all minor things, I just found that once I had EE, GTG sat on my shelf more and more. GTG is perfectly good, I just prefer the open and go aspect of the other. If I were choosing now, I'd look at the core books for each program and decide from there.

I have both Galloping the Globe and EE. I am not using either as written, but I pull from both (I use EE more) and add in my own stuff. We are doing our World Geography tour two days a week. I have added in science, literature, and art to round it out.

I am putting my lesson plans up on my blog. If you would like to take a look, feel free. I tried to design everything so if you just wanted to do the geography part, you could, so don't feel overwhelmed at all of the other stuff. :)

Here is the link to the first lesson: Continents, Oceans, and Classification