Menu

Ideas on how to use D'Aulaires' Book of Greek Myths

PachiSusan

I know that some (many in the thread I remember) of you don't really like "The Goddess Girls" book series (I believe it was in the "Twaddle" variety to many of you), but Melissa has latched on to them completely and is fascinated by them. I remember people saying they would sour a child's interest in the "real myths" of Greece, but it's worked the opposite for us. The books opened a thirst for learning about Mt. Olympus, why the gods and goddesses came to be and the real story of the characters.

We went to the library yesterday and spent about an hour in the Ancient Greeks section. She picked up D'Aulaires' Book of Greek Myths and the accompanying audio CD of it. I thought it would be fun to get the CD, but she said that she wanted to read them herself. Victory 1...it's tough to get her to choose to read.

I'm wondering how you ladies might recommend using this book. My thought was to read the myths as a bed time story with her, but then it kind of precludes discussion about it if we do it then. Plus, some of the myths are disturbing, so she might have bad dreams.

Do you use them simply as read alouds together, or is there some type of teaching you do through them as well?

I also got this book that is really fun with lots of interesting flaps to open and tidbits about Greece.

Mythology - Greek Gods, Heroes, & Monsters from the Ology collection. We have the Egyptian one as well.

Since we went to Greece in 2010, it's still a little bit fresh in her mind so I can say, "Remember when we went to Crete and saw the Palace of Knossos? That's where the labyrinth and King Minos and the Minotaur came from....

We went to the library yesterday and spent about an hour in the Ancient Greeks section. She picked up D'Aulaires' Book of Greek Myths and the accompanying audio CD of it. I thought it would be fun to get the CD, but she said that she wanted to read them herself. Victory 1...it's tough to get her to choose to read.

I'm wondering how you ladies might recommend using this book. My thought was to read the myths as a bed time story with her, but then it kind of precludes discussion about it if we do it then. Plus, some of the myths are disturbing, so she might have bad dreams.

My kids would have just read the book. At their own pace, whenever they wanted. Or DS might have chosen to listen to the CD; he loved audio books when he was your DD's age. (If we were studying this "for school", I'd count this reading towards "school reading".)

If your DD wants to read them herself, let her read them.

We did not have any in depth discussions about the myths at that age, merely read them for cultural exposure, and talked casually about whatever came up.

We cover the background and analysis of classical mythology in detail during high school; many topics are not really child appropriate once you dig deeper, LOL.

My kids would have just read the book. At their own pace, whenever they wanted. Or DS might have chosen to listen to the CD; he loved audio books when he was your DD's age. (If we were studying this "for school", I'd count this reading towards "school reading".)

If your DD wants to read them herself, let her read them.

We did not have any in depth discussions about the myths at that age, merely read them for cultural exposure, and talked casually about whatever came up.

We cover the background and analysis of classical mythology in detail during high school; many topics are not really child appropriate once you dig deeper, LOL.

Oh really? That doesn't sound to difficult to do - LOL I do want her to be exposed to the ancient mythology, and I also want to be child led in her interests as well. I tried to lead her into Egyptology as that is a fascination of mine, but she doesn't seem to share it - wah!!!

Oh really? That doesn't sound to difficult to do - LOL

Actually, it is our approach to much of literature. Many works speak for themselves. We talk about whatever the kids bring up, find interesting, question. But my philosophy is less is more. No worksheets, picking apart, writing assignments for every single thing they read.

They each have read, and listened to, numerous different retellings of the myths. We listened to CDs together, comment about the gods' behavior, have it as normal part of the conversation. At that age, I wanted them to be well versed in the stories, able to recognize references in literature and Art - but I do not find an analysis necessary yet (aside from the aforementioned fact that this ventures quickly into territory I find unnecessary for 10 year olds.)

They had great fun recognizing mythical subjects in paintings and sculpture, and comparing different ways of portraying the same mythological figures in different works - the familiarity makes museum visits so much more enjoyable.

I do want her to be exposed to the ancient mythology, and I also want to be child led in her interests as well. I tried to lead her into Egyptology as that is a fascination of mine, but she doesn't seem to share it - wah!!!

I have always just put resources into my kids' way for this kind of stuff. They got books and audio CDs. On long car rides we got in hundreds of hours of quality audio books - great books, mythology, whatever. As long as the book on CD is well done, you have a captive audience that is not all too picky; anything to alleviate boredom on a cross country drive, LOL.

Our approach is similar to regentrude's. This is a fabulous book, BTW. :) It is part of the independent reading for the history core we are using this year. Both of my boys read it independently and loved it. You can either just give her the book to read at her leisure or you can do a read aloud so you are experiencing it together. If this was my 10 year old, I would ask him which he would prefer and then do whatever that was.

My ds read D'Aulaires in 1st while doing SOTW1. He read multiple greek myth books. I read as read a-louds at bed time, he read during free time, he listened to audio books - he was in love with greek myths. He wore a greek outfit (not toga, I forget the name) for about 6 months. This year in 3rd we did D'Aulaires MP guide and studied the book more thoroughly and he took the National Mythology Exam recently (still waiting for results). At this stage of the game I just want him to get exposure but if he takes to something we dig down as far as he wants to go. In fact, his love of all things Greek and Roman has required me to specifically have what we call a "classical" lesson 3X a week. Just studying them during ancients in history is not enough.

I bought the D'aulaire Greek myth and Norse Myth books for my ds to use along side HOD Preparing. I just have him read one story a day or so. He read the Greek one while were covering Ancient History and is now reading the Norse one along with the Dark Ages/Middle ages etc. Sometimes we discuss them if he brings it up. ;) He was interested in reading the myths and I wanted him to have the exposure and basic knowledge of the famous myths.

We are using the Memoria Press guide with it. It has comprehension questions, vocabulary, maps, etc... My kids are also working on a myth journal. Each week after reading the myth and doing the guide they write a narration of the myth and draw a piciture. They are turning out great and when they are done they will have their own book of myths.

Actually, it is our approach to much of literature. Many works speak for themselves. We talk about whatever the kids bring up, find interesting, question. But my philosophy is less is more. No worksheets, picking apart, writing assignments for every single thing they read.

They each have read, and listened to, numerous different retellings of the myths. We listened to CDs together, comment about the gods' behavior, have it as normal part of the conversation. At that age, I wanted them to be well versed in the stories, able to recognize references in literature and Art - but I do not find an analysis necessary yet (aside from the aforementioned fact that this ventures quickly into territory I find unnecessary for 10 year olds.)

They had great fun recognizing mythical subjects in paintings and sculpture, and comparing different ways of portraying the same mythological figures in different works - the familiarity makes museum visits so much more enjoyable.

I have always just put resources into my kids' way for this kind of stuff. They got books and audio CDs. On long car rides we got in hundreds of hours of quality audio books - great books, mythology, whatever. As long as the book on CD is well done, you have a captive audience that is not all too picky; anything to alleviate boredom on a cross country drive, LOL.

This.

Here is another site and another.

First edition TWTM stresses the student narrating and summarizing trade books. Waldorf has the students copy summaries the teacher has written from trade books. The Principle Approach stresses defining the vocabulary in trade books, and evaluating the vocabulary and main topic from a Christian worldview.

I'm fascinated lately by using trade books as textbooks. Then other hand I often use textbooks as read alouds. :lol:

:iagree: :iagree: :iagree:

And it's served us well so far — I have two very avid readers (one of whom is dyslexic and refused to read at all when I pulled him out of school, because all the narrations and worksheets and picking apart made an already difficult process unbearable). We still have amazing, insightful discussions about what they read.

Jackie

FWIW, my dd8 loves Goddess Girls as well as D'Aulaires' Myths. We read the D'Aulaires' first, then she read Goddess Girls, then she went back and read D'Aulaires' again on her own so she could refresh herself and tie them to the books. Sure people may call them twaddle, but I feel if she is getting a variety of different readings in, both quality and twaddle, she is really enjoying reading, and it is bringing out an interest towards mythology, then why would that be bad?

I agree with the others that reading it is enough. Greek myths are fascinating to many kids, and my philosophy is that I don't want to kill the interest factor by making it a focus of school work. However, I do think it would be fun to make a family tree for the gods...

They each have read, and listened to, numerous different retellings of the myths. We listened to CDs together, comment about the gods' behavior, have it as normal part of the conversation. At that age, I wanted them to be well versed in the stories, able to recognize references in literature and Art - but I do not find an analysis necessary yet

Absolutely this.

FWIW, my dd8 loves Goddess Girls as well as D'Aulaires' Myths. We read the D'Aulaires' first, then she read Goddess Girls, then she went back and read D'Aulaires' again on her own so she could refresh herself and tie them to the books. Sure people may call them twaddle, but I feel if she is getting a variety of different readings in, both quality and twaddle, she is really enjoying reading, and it is bringing out an interest towards mythology, then why would that be bad?

Well, I can only go on the few conversations I have had since I've been here. There is a contingent that does not allow twaddle (I detest that word - and yes I know CM uses it and that's why it's used) at all because they will sour the child's desire for the "good stuff". I don't know how prevalent the people who believe that are here, but in the few threads I read - it sure seemed to be a vocal / big enough population to make me wonder if it is a good idea to mention that we read it. LOL

After that there's the Mary Pope Osborne, Sutcliff, McCaugherean's Gilgamesh the Hero, and of course, Rick Riordan's Percy Jackson series are all ways to immerse in the greek myths without worksheets. GB had already devoured most of them.

I'm actually reading the Percy Jackson series right now - and she's read all of the Magic Treehouse Books.