Menu

You're doin' it all wrong, y'all

DD, age nine, was given a writing assignment today. Instead of screaming and melting into the floor and whining, she actually giggled and ran into the kitchen to the laptop. I just thought she had finally figured out that typing a written assignment out on the keyboard was faster and easier than writing it by hand........

Nope. What she had figured out was how to use the speech recognition function along with Microsoft Word. The little dear dictated her assignment, ran the spellchecker and the grammar checker, and then saved the darn document in dropbox all by herself. It took her like five minutes.

I'm feeling old, out-of-date, and nearly obsolete right now. :ohmy: :scared: :sad: :blink:

I just noticed today that I had that on my laptop! I stumbled on it, though, and now I don't know how I got to it!

Any clues?

Darned if I know. Apparently Dh showed it to dd. It is something that is supposed to help make the computers more accessible to people with handicaps as far as I understand it. But I'm the only one here who is feeling handicapped right now.....

DD, age nine, was given a writing assignment today. Instead of screaming and melting into the floor and whining, she actually giggled and ran into the kitchen to the laptop. I just thought she had finally figured out that typing a written assignment out on the keyboard was faster and easier than writing it by hand........

Nope. What she had figured out was how to use the speech recognition function along with Microsoft Word. The little dear dictated her assignment, ran the spellchecker and the grammar checker, and then saved the darn document in dropbox all by herself. It took her like five minutes.

I'm feeling old, out-of-date, and nearly obsolete right now. :ohmy: :scared: :sad: :blink:

Nnnnuuuuuuuuuuuuu!!!

:lol:

Haha, I just read this out loud to my husband. I went into the settings of my Mac and figured out how to do it on my computer, and my ds heard me say, "holy cow, it works." He was up the stairs in a flash, and then he wanted to know how to do it on his computer, he also has a Mac. I told him that I was not going to tell him how to do it but if he figured it out himself that was fine. He is now downstairs yelling at his computer trying to figure out how to turn on the voice recognition feature on his Mac. I predict it will take him about another 2 minutes before he has it all worked out.

Okay, I'm terribly curious. I'm also technologically quite wimpy. What would I look for in my new laptop to find out if I happen to have speech recognition software? It's an HP running Windows something or other. 10, maybe?

Click on your 'start menu', which is the little round multicolor ball thingie in the bottom left part of your screen.

A list of some programs should come up. At the bottom of the list it will say 'all programs'. click on 'all programs'

Now you should have a whole list of programs with a slider bar thingie on the right. Slide down the list to a folder named 'Accessories'

click on the folder 'accessories'

Inside that folder near the bottom is another folder labeled 'ease of access'

click on the 'ease of access' folder and you should see in there 'windows speech recognition' That's what you want. It has a tutorial for itself and everything.

DD was 'teaching' this to a friend just this afternoon........pretty soon every tween in the county is going to be dictating their writing assignments........I'm just going to blame DH.