Menu

Teaching Material for a 20 yr old who is at about 3rd grade level

Liz CA

I have posted this also on the K-8 curriculum but wanted to get maximum exposure / input.

Friends of ours have taken in a young woman who had a very hard life. She is at about 3rd grade reading level.

Her big goal is to pass the GED exam.

Can anyone suggest remedial reading material that is not too babyish?

Our school board has a program for literacy education for adults. I also know that some libraries are a meeting place for adult literacy. You didn't mention if there was a learning disability or not, but I feel certain there are resources out there to help out.

Does she have LD's/disabilities, or just a lack of education? If there are LD's, you need to be flexible and adjust as necessary...

I have gotten 4 foster girls who were terribly behind up to date using phonics pathways, reading pathways, Rod and staff grammar.

Also lots of Explode the Code and Beyond the code.

Math, I'd do TT.

Science-- what kind of science does the GED cover?

We All Can Read - it is a remedial phonics course for grades 3 through adult using nonsense words. I've been using it with a 6th grader who started out at about a 3rd grade level with success. My only complaint is that isn't as complete in instruction as I think it should be...like it doesn't explain the difference between -ch and -tch. So having a tutor knows her phonics well is helpful.

Does she have LD's/disabilities, or just a lack of education? If there are LD's, you need to be flexible and adjust as necessary...

I have gotten 4 foster girls who were terribly behind up to date using phonics pathways, reading pathways, Rod and staff grammar.

Also lots of Explode the Code and Beyond the code.

Math, I'd do TT.

Science-- what kind of science does the GED cover?

I know from my friend that she was a meth baby.

She took the GED placement exam and placed so low, they don't have material for her.

I am pulling all my homeschooling favorites together but I did not teach reading because I took my son out of 5th grade to homeschool. He learned how to read in school, however needed spelling work and grammar which was not taught.

My friend is getting a "Prepare for the GED" book to see what they are testing.

The GED exam is TOUGH.

Can the GED be a goal down the road? Her reading level needs to improve before trying to pass the GED.

I like the Wordly Wise Series by EPS. I've used it for remedial students and it is a great vocabulary and reading comprehension tool.

I recommend using Book 2 if she is at a 3rd grade level... so she can succeed and move on to Book 3. You can buy the book at any teacher store or Mardel's. HTH

I don't know what parameters are but The Blueford High series is a set of 20 young adult novels for reluctant readers. Please be aware that these deal with topics such as domestic violence, teenage pregnancy, the like. Heinemann publishers also has a series of books for below grade level high schoolers. CLE math workbooks might be a good fit because the size is not overwhelming, and create a sense of accomplishment at the end of each level. If they can find out what interests her, such as Harry Potter, the like, she could follow the book along with an audio version. This has helped some of my low-performing students advance in testing levels, pass the high school exit exam. They have said that it is easier to follow along with someone else reading, less stress, more engaging. *Sorry about no paragraph breaks! Having major problems typing on this site for some reason

I agree with Phonics Pathways for basic reading instruction/review, followed by Megawords for longer, more difficult words.

If you are looking for materials for teaching all subject areas (science, math, history, etc.) I highly recommend Wieser Educational http://www.wieseredu...onal.com They have highschool level textbooks for every subject written at a 3rd-4th grade reading level. She can learn her high school material at her current reading level, while continuing to try to improve her reading skills. They also have basic "life skills" reading texts. I am using their science and history with my dyslexic 7th grader who is more comfortable reading at a 4th grade level, and I have been impressed with the content and presentation of the material. They are also a family-owned business with excellent customer service. If you called and explained the situation to them, they would likely be able to recommend appropriate materials.

HTH,

I have posted this also on the K-8 curriculum but wanted to get maximum exposure / input.

Friends of ours have taken in a young woman who had a very hard life. She is at about 3rd grade reading level.

Her big goal is to pass the GED exam.

Can anyone suggest remedial reading material that is not too babyish?

Our school board has a program for literacy education for adults. I also know that some libraries are a meeting place for adult literacy. You didn't mention if there was a learning disability or not, but I feel certain there are resources out there to help out.

I know from my friend that she was a meth baby.

She took the GED placement exam and placed so low, they don't have material for her.

I am pulling all my homeschooling favorites together but I did not teach reading because I took my son out of 5th grade to homeschool. He learned how to read in school, however needed spelling work and grammar which was not taught.

My friend is getting a "Prepare for the GED" book to see what they are testing.

There could be a variety of reasons why the young woman be at a very low reading level. My first instinct would be to find out what areas of reading she is weakest in and then choose an appropriate program. I would agree with pp that finding a good adult literacy program would be key. I had a friend who was a long-time literacy program volunteer and had tremendous success, as long as the participants stuck with it. I would seek out adult literacy programs and then supplement with extra help at home.

Btw, your friend sounds great!

If she is under 21-26 and hasn't graduated highschool there is a chance that the local school district could do some basic testing for free. Wouldn't hurt to call them.

Does she seem behind in other areas---as in cognitively impaired, etc. or just her lack of academic skills?

I really like Apples and Pears for spelling as it is not babyish at all and really seems to stick. The I See Sam readers have worked the best for me here teaching my special needs kids to read but she might find them a bit babyish---but then again might be willing to do what it takes to learn to read.