Menu

Do you have/have you had a Yukon XL?

Janie Grace

Opinions, please! Dh says it's the same as a Suburban. I want to hear your experiences, negative and positive. We have five kids (14 and under) and no one's getting any smaller. Instead of getting another minivan, we're seriously considering moving up to a Suburban or Yukon. So... tell me about your Yukon, please. (There's one we may go see tomorrow!)

We have a Suburban, which, as a pp already mentioned, is the same as a Yukon XL. We used to have an Odyssey. We go almost the same mileage on a tank but the 'Burb's tank is a whole lot bigger. ;). I don't honestly know how much more we spend in gas but I haven't noticed it making a huge impact on our budget. It has a read out of what our consumption is and our average consumption is 14mpg in town. I have a heavy foot and i know i could probably improve on this a bit. Last time we did a long trip we averaged 21mpg.

I like it but there was an adjustment period for my younger children going from a sliding door to ones that swing out. I always have to remind my littlest not to open the door too far or too hard. I am always worried about smacking the car beside them. :(

I find it handles well and has a good turning radius. Overall I like it much better than our minivan.

I would make sure you are happy with how the car seats fit. I was surprised to find that the length of the benches was about the same as in the van and that three car seats did not fit beside each other any better. Also, before 2007 the center seat in each bench is only a lap belt and not a shoulder belt. Not sure if this is an issue for you but thought I would mention it.

If you have specific questions you can also pm me. :)

It is same exact vehicle as Suburban.

We get a whopin' 16 mpg with our current Suburban... our last Suburban got 19 mpg.

We are a family of 5 and ALWAYS had a few other 'daughters' along for the ride. It is nice to have full size seats/legroom and plenty of storage.

I wish the milage was better--but it is still better than having to split the family into 2 different cars!

We have a Yukon XL and I love it! I went from a smaller minivan to an Expedition to the Yukon. The Yukon actually gets better mpg than the Expedition and has far more room. We can use it to go on a camping trip and still have some space to be comfortable. Maybe it was my smaller minivan but the seats in our Yukon are much larger/longer than our van. My dh calls it our living room on wheels. :) And if you're tall, that means mom is comfortable too!

Yes, we are happy with our Yukon XL. There are 6 of us, and sometimes MIL and FIL join us! We need the room! : )

We travel often, so it's nice to have space with growing boys! We love the space in the back for all of our camping stuff and plenty of room for those Costco trips too! Ha Ha!! The Yukon XL replaced our mini-van when it just got too snug (camping gear, cooler, etc.).

I've never had a Suburban, so I can't compare them for you.

I have a Suburban. I will not go back to a minivan. I love that I actually have cargo space and all seven of us are comfortable on a long drive. I didn't notice a big change in mileage when I switched from my minivan, just that the tank is bigger. We have talked about them before, you might want to search Suburban. :)

Not a Yukon but I have a Z71 Tahoe that seats 6 passengers and I LOVE it! We, too, bought our's because of growing kids. Mine has the bucket seats in the middle row which I love so kids can get into the back without having to move seats forward, etc. My neighbor is 6 ft tall and fit comfortably in the bucket seat.

We chose the bucket instead of bench seats because my 5'9" SIL had a Yukon and warned me that SHE was a bit cramped with the bench seats and didn't have much leg room. We have a DC that can't bend one of his legs so comfort and legroom for him was high on our priority list.

Gas mileage wise, it certainly isn't worse than the Blazer I had previously. I drive a LOT and a tank has been lasting me for more than a week.

I'm on my fourth Cadillac Escalade which is the same car as the suburban and Yukon. Each model year I've owned has been quite different as originally they were built on a truck chassis, and now more of a car chassis. Minivans are a little more mom friendly in that the seats lie flat with less effort on the driver. Nonetheless, I love the heavy, stable ride of the Escalade. And with 6000 lbs., I feel much safer than in a tiny, fuel-efficient death trap.

My husbands father worked for GMC building those beasts. They are the same. The yukon can be proccured with more upgrades and whatnot.

I LOVED LOVED LOVED my suburban. DId I mention that I LOVED it? It was a beast and gave me only one problem a couple of years after owning it that was rightly fixed. I owned it 10 years and frankly DID NOT want to get rid of it. The gas was killing us (we live out in the sticks, but drive into town a good bit) and we only have two kids. We also had a truck and since I was no longer carrying smaller children and all their gear, plus hauling small animals around, plus it was starting to need some repairs (at 10 years old), that we decided to trade it in and go down in size a bit...I honestly cried in the lot when we were trading it in. She served me well. If you ask me today, I still say I want my suburban back...DH was the one who was pushing for a newer vehicle. I just wanted him to fix my 'big rig' as we called it and keep it running :)

Another happy owner! We had a short Yukon for about 6 years, and two years ago we bought a used Yukon XL Denali. It's wonderful! We only have two kids, but we also have 2 dogs that we frequently travel with - everyone gets their own place to stretch out on long car rides! The cargo space is immense! Travel in the snow is wonderful - haven't even as much as skidded! Only complaint is that we live in a cold weather climate, and the big back side windows do not have defrosters in them - they do fog, which makes the back seat not have the best view for travel. Newer models have defoggers in them. (Ours is an '04)

We are on our 4th YukonXL/Suburban in just over 20 years. THat says a lot.

We are empty nesters and at this end of the game, I am kind of hoping our next vehicle is a tad smaller, but only because I am not tall and I am tired of having to hike myself up into the thing!

Storage space is amazing. We have hauled washers/dryers, full size refrigerators, mulch, sand, etc. It's a truck. My DH is very careful to protect the upholstery etc, but we have hauled pretty much everything in it.

Last year we took 3 grandkids, 1 DD and 1 DIL plus DH and myself on a 700 mile road trip to visit our other DD. Plenty of room for luggage and people.

We have an 07 and I think we get just over 15 in town and up to 21 on the road.

We had a Yukon XL for 5 years. I really liked the space but it suddenly died at 159,000 miles. We were told they will easily go over 200,000. When we were looking for something to replace the Yukon XL we went with a Toyota Sienna. For the same price we got one that is much newer and they are more reliable.

We had a Yukon XL for almost 9 year and just sold it when my husband bought a new car.

We called the Yukon "Tank" because it drove like a tank. I hated that car so much (I didn't like to drive it or ride in it) and I danced when he got rid of it. I also wanted to add that going to the gas station was a painful experience because the gas tank held a lot of gallons which meant that when gas prices were high, it would take over $100 to fill the tank.