Menu

I feel guilty :(

Night Elf

I took my dogs to get their nails filed today and I totally forgot to tip the groomer. There were other dogs around and I was flustered, worried my dachshund would start barking. I put one of my two dogs into the car and then when she finished, I just scooped up the other one and hustled out the door. It didn't occur to me until I got home. It's a 25 min. drive there. If I go back, it will be 90 mins. since she finished with my dogs. I'd feel stupid going in and giving it to her then. Can I just let this go and tip her a little extra next time? FWIW, this is a grooming salon in a large pet store chain. I'm not even totally sure I should be tipping but I feel guilty if I don't.

Send a thank you note in the mail with a check made out to that particular groomer.

I have no idea what her name is. Like I said, it's a big pet store chain, Petco. It's not a privately owned salon. I don't even get the same person all of the time, but I do seem to see her more often than not. My DH just told me I was over-thinking it. It's just a nail job that took 3 mins. per dog. The price is ridiculous.I pay $15 per dog. I bought a filing tool but I don't have the guts to use it. I'm too afraid I'm going to hurt the dogs. Ugh. I could save so much money if I could learn to do this myself.

Guest chucknizzle

That is a long drive to get your dogs' nails done. If this is a 'regular' groomer that you value your relationship with I would suggest either a card with a personal note, or a quick call to the place and ask to use your credit card over the phone to add a tip. We all make the occasional slip up and I'm sure your groomer is human too.

Oh, gosh. Now I feel like an idiot. I didn't know you were supposed to tip groomers, too. We only use a groomer a couple of times a year for grooming, but take our dog in every few months for nail clipping (this salon only charges $5 for walk-in nail clipping.) I am pretty sure it was the owner who worked on my dog. I thought you don't tip the owner. Do I need to start just planning on an extra 15% for every service I have done everywhere?

Oh, gosh. Now I feel like an idiot. I didn't know you were supposed to tip groomers, too. We only use a groomer a couple of times a year for grooming, but take our dog in every few months for nail clipping (this salon only charges $5 for walk-in nail clipping.) I am pretty sure it was the owner who worked on my dog. I thought you don't tip the owner. Do I need to start just planning on an extra 15% for every service I have done everywhere?

I wouldn't imagine tipping the owner either. And a nail clip is easy I think. I don't always tip either. Nail buffing takes longer than clipping so I'm a little more conscious of it. I tip when I interrupt their work with other dogs to immediately work on my dogs. Nail jobs are just drop in so they stop what they are doing. That's when I think about it. And today they were obviously busy and I felt like it was a hassle despite their policy to take the dogs back immediately. Honestly, I can feel guilty about the smallest things! This is probably just another one of those small things. I don't know any groomers so have no one to really ask.

You're supposed to tip dog groomers? I had no idea.

None of my dogs have gone to the groomer often and because my golden got hot spots after grooming several times, I started doing grooming only at the vet's office and I can't imagine tipping there. I never met the person who did the grooming.

I take Kylie to the vet's office for nail trimming too.

The price is ridiculous.I pay $15 per dog. I bought a filing tool but I don't have the guts to use it. I'm too afraid I'm going to hurt the dogs. Ugh. I could save so much money if I could learn to do this myself.

By filing tool do you mean a nail grinder, like a Dremel? They're very easy to use. As long as you don't hold it on the nail more than a few seconds at a time, or get it caught in hair, you won't hurt them. I can't imagine paying someone to clip/grind my dogs' nails. One of them has incredibly fast growing nails that need grinding at least twice a week. No way could I afford that!

Don't be scared to file your dogs' nails. It is way easier than clipping them. Just do a *little* bit on each nail and there is no way you will cause any damage or problem.

As far as the tipping goes, I wouldn't lose sleep over it. It isn't a big deal. It's nice to tip someone like that, but it isn't necessary. This is a regular hourly worker, not a waiter who gets paid less than regular hourly.

By filing tool do you mean a nail grinder, like a Dremel? They're very easy to use. As long as you don't hold it on the nail more than a few seconds at a time, or get it caught in hair, you won't hurt them. I can't imagine paying someone to clip/grind my dogs' nails. One of them has incredibly fast growing nails that need grinding at least twice a week. No way could I afford that!

Yes, a grinder. I take my dogs every 2.5 to 3 weeks to have this done. It costs a lot but I'm really timid trying to use the grinder on my own. Thanks for the tip on how to use it. I worry I'll grind them too much. I don't know how to tell when I'm close to the quick (sp?). My dachshund's nails are long. Even when they are cut, they are still long because of where the quick is.

And I would never think to tip at the vet's office. It never occurred to me to have their nails done at the vet's office. But it makes sense. :)

I wouldn't think about it twice. If you are paying $30 every two or three weeks for a nail clipping that takes a total of 6 minutes for two dogs, I wouldn't tip. I tip my groomer, but she does a full-grooming, and it is the same person every time. If I stopped in for a nail touch-up and she charged me $15, I would not tip for it.

My vet's office does it free. Might be worth asking!